Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Thread V

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Their new coaching staff might also have something to do with it; Bemidji's too maybe.
    how would that make them pick MSU-M over Bemidji? they thought the new coaches would fail?
    I meant that SCSU added 2 transfers while MSU-M added 11 freshmen, while Bemidji added some talented freshmen to their already improving team.
    those two transfers are #1 & #4 in scoring on the team, #1 & tied #2 in goals

no doubt thus far the 2 new coaches are a huge success

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      how would that make them pick MSU-M over Bemidji?...no doubt thus far the 2 new coaches are a huge success
      Sorry, I guess I was not clear. What I meant was that the new coaching staffs might have something to do with their success, relative to expectations, so far this year. Perhaps the coaches underestimated the impact that the new coaching staff(s) would have...again so far about a third of the way through the season.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Perhaps the coaches underestimated the impact that the new coaching staff(s) would have...again so far about a third of the way through the season.
        I think the new coaches were unknown quantities, so that's why they picked the Mavericks sixth. I don't think that they necessarily thought MSU would actually finish that high, but they just took a wait-and-see attitude with the other two. And to be fair, SCSU didn't look that great opening weekend. They scored more, but the defense had taken a step back.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. What I meant was that the new coaching staffs might have something to do with their success, relative to expectations, so far this year.
          I for one, would like to thank D2D for his generosity and taking the time to clarify for those with special needs.
          Last edited by brookyone; 11-12-2014, 07:36 PM.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            I for one, would like to thank D2D for his generosity and taking the time to clarify for those with special needs.
            Just noticed your signature, brooky. Funny if a bit too accurate for comfort...

Comment

Bemidji State 4, North Dakota 1
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Final Score From Friday, November 14th
                Minnesota 4
                Ohio State 2

Talented Gophers Have The Answers At The Key Junctures
                The initial 19 minutes of the game produced no goals, and that shot count stood at 10-8. While the Visitors were taking the offensive initiative more often than not, we had a close game on our hands. Then came the dreaded occurrence: Giving up a goal in the last minute of a period. The Gophers were in business. The momentum carried over into the middle period; the Gophers built a 3-0 lead. Then, when the Buckeyes used a pair of PP goals to pull within a goal, Minnesota responded less than a minute later.

New script? Nope; it's a rather familiar storyline, especially when you play against a great team. Pause for just a moment to feel good about yourself, and the puck winds up in the back of the net.

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial and Just For Fun

Minnesota Honorable Mention: Hannah Brandt
                Was surprised recently to see some skeptical comments regarding Brandt on the board. OK, maybe she doesn't have the flash of an Amanda Kessel. But Hannah is extremely effective, and makes everyone she plays with better. Whenever she's on the ice, she's clearly the go-to player. Tonight was certainly no exception, despite the lack of scoring points. As just one example, winning 22 face-offs is a good evening's work.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Kassidy Sauve
                Kassidy had 40 saves; including many of the difficult variety. In the end it wasn't enough, but it was a good performance nevertheless.

#3 Star: Maryanne Menefee, Minnesota
                Maryanne bagged that clutch goal at the end of the first period. Reacting quickly to a Rachel Ramsey shot from the point, Menefee slammed the rebound into the net.

#2 Star: Taylor Kuehl, Ohio State
                Great to see 2 PP goals from the Minnetrista, MN native. On the first play, the assists came from up high, with Sara Schmitt and Julia MacKinnon working the points. On the second play, the assists came from down low. The tenacious forechecking of Claudia Kepler and Kendall Curtis created the scoring chance.

#1 Star: Rachel Bona, Minnesota
                Rachel netted the insurance goal that restored the two goal Gopher lead and blunted the Buckeye rally. Also crucial were Bona's primary assists on the second and third goals. Well done, Rachel.

Next Up: The Saturday Afternoon Rematch. Face-Off at 2:07 PM EST.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, November 15th
                  Minnesota 5
                  Ohio State 3

Headline News Version: Gophers Complete Sweep

The 3 Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial and Just For Fun

Minnesota Honorable Mention: Lee Stecklein
                  +4

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Sara Schmitt
                  Wraparound Goal; Defense

#3 Star: Kate Schipper, Minnesota
                  Goal, Assist; Strong Overall Game

#2 Star: Claudia Kepler, Ohio State
                  Perseverance; Game's Final Goal

#1 Star: Meghan Lorence, Minnesota
                  Hat Trick

Next Up: Road Trip To North Dakota

Comment

This week in the WCHA:

Minnesota @ Minnesota State
                    Minnesota State @ Minnesota

Wisconsin @ St. Cloud State

Ohio State @ North Dakota

Cornell @ Minnesota-Duluth

I think it will be ugly in St. Cloud.

In Grand Forks it's the "End the Losing Streak" series.

Top 10 ranking on the line in Duluth?
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                      This week in the WCHA:

Minnesota @ Minnesota State
                      Minnesota State @ Minnesota

Wisconsin @ St. Cloud State

Ohio State @ North Dakota

Cornell @ Minnesota-Duluth

I think it will be ugly in St. Cloud.

In Grand Forks it's the "End the Losing Streak" series.

Top 10 ranking on the line in Duluth?
                      Cool matchups.

It will be just fascinating to see the results of the kato-rodent tilts in comparison to the Kato-UW results.
                      OSU and the sue are trending in opposite directions, could be a telling series.
                      UMD has an interesting matchup with a Cornell team that was preseason top 6 bit who is off to a slow start.
                      UW has maybe another BC sweet and starchy type opponent, though statistically SCSU is almost doubly better than Kato in GF/GA.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

A return to reality is setting back in for the Huskies who have a very long haul ahead of them.

Comment

The Badgers will still have to lace 'em up. BTW, there is a new reality with SCSU women's hockey. It started with a new coaching staff. Will SCSU start beating Wisco and the Gophs? Probably not. Give Eric Rud 2-4 years, and it won't surprise me that the Huskies to be competitive will all teams. Of course that would mean that Rud needs to find 8-10 very good D-I hockey players. With a late start, he was able to bring in 2 BTA players this year.

UMD looked very good this past weekend--very good skill group. Huskies lose 6-1 Friday with goalie Julie Friend having a very infrequent off night. Sat. afternoon the Huskies were outplayed for most of the game, but only lost 1-0.

Comment

Minnesota's Lorence, Bemidji State's Mowat and Wisconsin's Pankowski Named WCHA Players of the Week
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Cornell 3, Colgate 1

Cornell brings the belt to Duluth.
                              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
                                In my opinion, it's not unreasonable to think the Bulldogs will go 18-0 over their next nine series:

Lindenwood
                                Mankato
                                SCSU
                                Cornell (Before Cornell's loss to BC, I would have said this would be the 'Dogs toughest matchup but the Big Red has a lot of work to do)
                                Bemidji
                                Ohio State
                                Bemidji
                                SCSU
                                Mankato

I'll be a little more realistic and say they go 15-2-1 over this stretch giving them a huge momentum swing heading into the final four weeks against UND, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ohio State
                                Mr Crank's prediction is OK so far. UMD has 9 straight wins and the first 8 of the predicted 18 are executed. Bemidji is next weekend. I'm guessing Bemidji is looking tougher than Crank thought when the prediction was made!

Comment

Working...
                                X