Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

SB Nation profile of UNO defenseman Luc Snuggerud:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...maha-mavericks

Chris Dilks, the writer, does not point out in this article that Snuggerud was one of the runners-up to current UNO freshman forward Avery Peterson for the "Mr. Minnesota Hockey" award last season.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 02-24-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
      I am now dumber for having read this. thanks alot Joff.

UNO probably needs to win 3 games between now and the end of the playoffs to get in. Only 2 of those can be CC (and they have beaten us). The other two need to come on the road against the #3 team in the PWR and in the first round of the playoffs in which we have never advanced under Dean Blais. I have to say, I'm not terribly confident that we can get 3 if the SCSU series shows what this team has left in the tank.
      I'll make it easier for you, blaiz wants respect win the games you're supposed to win and motivate your players from the beginning of the season to the end. his teams are supposed to be among the most conditioned and once again they seem to be dead on their feet. How on God's green earth do NHL players keep going until june????
      UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        Perhaps you're right, Geoff.
        LOL I have some frioends across the pond that call me that. Well done chap.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
          SB Nation profile of UNO defenseman Luc Snuggerud:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...maha-mavericks

Chris Dilks, the writer, does not point out in this article that Snuggerud was one of the runners-up to current UNO freshman forward Avery Peterson for the "Mr. Minnesota Hockey" award last season.
          That son of a....
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Love seeing this:

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/sho...rer_id=1348814

Spinner, Olofsson, & Oldham are all UNO commits.

Comment

I wonder if we'll see a 4th goalie added before next season.

Comment

WOWT, the NBC affiliate here in Omaha, announces some sort of affiliation/partnership with UNO Hockey and will also, apparently, be televising our season ending series next weekend with CC:

http://www.wowt.com/fortheheartland/...290221571.html

I saw an ad on their station about this today, as well.

This is sort of odd since the press release about this is dated the 20th, but there has been not a peep about it on the school's own Athletic Department web site, nor in the Mavpuck forum or the associated Facebook or Twitter pages that I have seen, nor at @RedArmyUNO.

Somebody know something that I don't, here?
                Last edited by Red Cows; 03-02-2015, 11:26 PM. Reason: I had the link in this post incorrect

Comment

WOWT, the NBC affiliate here in Omaha, announces some sort of affiliation/partnership with UNO Hockey and will also, apparently, be televising our season ending series next weekend with CC:
                  Such negativity… you realize now matter how bad they play the next two weeks, they still get to make the playoffs, right?
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    Such negativity… you realize now matter how bad they play the next two weeks, they still get to make the playoffs, right?
                    I was hoping we could just skip the playoffs and go straight to the NCAAs.
                    If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Ewww, that was a poor choice of words.

Comment

No regular season conference title is the offing for us, now.

We can finish 2nd, though.

One win next weekend against CC gets us home ice, since we now own the tiebreaker against UMD, even if they sweep next weekend, since one win against CC for us and a sweep for UMD at Western would leave us tied in the points standings.

SCSU secured a road gig for themselves tonight in the conference tourney.

There are two home ice spots left up for grabs in the NCHC tourney and those two spots are going to UNO, Denver, or UMD and UNO has the inside track to one of those spots.

My guess is that DU or UMD will be playing UNO in the CenturyLink Center come March 13th.

An aside, UNO moves up to 5th in Pairwise tonight and probably guaranteed itself an NCAA tourney slot although I'd like to get a look at the Pairwise predictor and see how a CC sweep of us next weekend as well as a 2 game exit at the conference tourney by us might affect that. My guess is that we'd still be in.

I'd like to see us sweep CC (who has nothing to play for), get to the Frozen Faceoff at the Target Center and do well enough to sew up one of the #1 seeds.

I'm guessing getting to Minneapolis and winning at least one game there will do it.

Pairwise predictor, anyone?
                        Last edited by Red Cows; 03-01-2015, 01:50 AM.

Comment

With Miami playing UND, a sweep of CC should get us second place in the conference. Not a bad season in the toughest conference.

I would agree - we should be in regardless. I would have to think getting to the championship game of the conference tourney would secure a top seed. Just hope we don't drop one to CC next week.
                          If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

No regular season conference title is the offing for us, now.

We can finish 2nd, though.

One win next weekend against CC gets us home ice, since we now own the tiebreaker against UMD, even if they sweep next weekend, since one win against CC for us and a sweep for UMD at Western would leave us tied in the points standings.

SCSU secured a road gig for themselves tonight in the conference tourney.

There are two home ice spots left up for grabs in the NCHC tourney and those two spots are going to UNO, Denver, or UMD and UNO has the inside track to one of those spots.

My guess is that DU or UMD will be playing UNO in the CenturyLink Center come March 13th.

An aside, UNO moves up to 5th in Pairwise tonight and probably guaranteed itself an NCAA tourney slot although I'd like to get a look at the Pairwise predictor and see how a CC sweep of us next weekend as well as a 2 game exit at the conference tourney by us might affect that. My guess is that we'd still be in.

I'd like to see us sweep CC (who has nothing to play for), get to the Frozen Faceoff at the Target Center and do well enough to sew up one of the #1 seeds.

I'm guessing getting to Minneapolis and winning at least one game there will do it.

Pairwise predictor, anyone?
                            Technically a win doesn't put you past Duluth. If you split and they sweep, they'd win the tiebreaker. Tiebreaker is not head to head, its conference wins. If you split you'd end up with 12 and they'd have 13. Last year when it looked like UND and SCSU could end up tied for the Penrose, UND would have been the 1 seed despite us going 3-1 against them.
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Technically a win doesn't put you past Duluth. If you split and they sweep, they'd win the tiebreaker. Tiebreaker is not head to head, its conference wins. If you split you'd end up with 12 and they'd have 13. Last year when it looked like UND and SCSU could end up tied for the Penrose, UND would have been the 1 seed despite us going 3-1 against them.
                              My bad. You are correct.

Comment

Here is video of Purple Cows Head Coach and Omaha Lancer/Omaha hockey legend Mike Hastings on senior night at in Mankato this past Saturday night, post game:

https://vimeo.com/120920103

I am posting it here because Coach Hastings gives a shout out to UNO Assistant Coach and former Mankato Head Coach Coach Troy Jutting in his speech to the crowd in this video (at about the 7 minute mark), and because Omaha hockey fans pretty universally have warm fuzzies for Coach Hastings, in any event.

We wish him all the best--unless he and his purple gang are playing us.

Comment

Working...
                                X