X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread I - 2014-2015

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    I don't see the point of moving Oksanen around. I like a O'Regan-Eichel-Oksanen because those two guys can bury the puck after getting an Eichel pass. Rodrigues is having a nice year but he's got too much Milan Lucic in him, in that if he'd just learn to hit the open net more than half the time he'd double his goal output. He's 2nd line material but could use Ballergioneon%n. Don't care who gets the other slot. Move someone up if you'd like.

Hohmann definitely needs to step it up. As has been mentioned its not lack of effort but he's making way too many mistakes out there.
    One man's opinion - It's not my direct intention to slam Hohmann or Rodrigues. They hustle and play hard, Rodrigues, in particular, is strong on the backcheck. However, if you have championship aspirations for your team, they cannot be on the second line. Hohmann doesn't generate enough scoring opportunities, Rodrigues doesn't take advantage of his opportunities. Upon his return, Baillargeon must become the lynchpin to the 2nd line, with some combination of Lane, Greer, Piccinich, Olsson, some of whom will have improved, hopefully, to the extent that they're legitimate second-liners. After 3 1/2 seasons, Hohmann and Rodrigues have demonstrated that they're not second-liners on a real good team.
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      One man's opinion - It's not my direct intention to slam Hohmann or Rodrigues. They hustle and play hard, Rodrigues, in particular, is strong on the backcheck. However, if you have championship aspirations for your team, they cannot be on the second line. Hohmann doesn't generate enough scoring opportunities, Rodrigues doesn't take advantage of his opportunities. Upon his return, Baillargeon must become the lynchpin to the 2nd line, with some combination of Lane, Greer, Piccinich, Olsson, some of whom will have improved, hopefully, to the extent that they're legitimate second-liners. After 3 1/2 seasons, Hohmann and Rodrigues have demonstrated that they're not second-liners on a real good team.
      Make that two men's opinions. I've always thought Rodrigues had more skill, but there has been little beyond brief flashes each year of it.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

A good point. I think Baillargeon (hope you're spelling that right because I copied you) is legit 2nd line material. Perhaps Lane would benefit from regular shifts with him as he's been out most of the year. Haven't seen enough of Olsson to know where he belongs, but Greer looks decent. Hohmann and Rodrigues on the 3rd line is pretty good talent wise. Would be nice to get the full team out there one of these days....
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          A good point. I think Baillargeon (hope you're spelling that right because I copied you) is legit 2nd line material. Perhaps Lane would benefit from regular shifts with him as he's been out most of the year. Haven't seen enough of Olsson to know where he belongs, but Greer looks decent. Hohmann and Rodrigues on the 3rd line is pretty good talent wise. Would be nice to get the full team out there one of these days....
          I have no problem with either of them on the 3rd line.
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Agree with your assessment of the two assistant captains, but I don't expect to see Rodrigues demoted to third line. E-Rod's most productive time at BU was second semester of his sophomore year when he, O'Regan and Nieto became the top scoring line in D1 for a a couple of months. He needs to play with skilled skaters and while there are no Nietos available for second-line duty, a line of Rodrigues, a healthy Baillargeon and Lane should have the makings of an effective unit. On power plays, when Rodrigues plays point, Piccinich or Olsson should join the second forward unit.

Couple of magazine-cover turns for Eichel.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I'd keep Erod on 2, he could definitely benefit from playing with Robbie, and move back Olsson or possibly Greer if he progresses a bit more - his skating is suspect at this point. Hohmann, while he hustles his butt off every shift, is not a skilled creator, frequently when he tries to make something happen with the puck it ends up with a turnover or a bad shot. I think he could benefit from playing on a 3rd line with Lane and Roberto/Greer/Piccinich, he tends to do better when he's attacking the net and cleaning up garbage, grabbing those so-called greasy goals. A pesky, hard-working 3rd line with some actual offensive talent would be an excellent addition, as opposed to 3/4 lines of years past who were absolutely no threat to score or generate much offense.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

we all agree that everyone on last year's team is a question mark. however it seems that in neither practice nor games the freshman (olsson, phelps, aj, jj) have impressed the staff enough to make that move.
                ahti's move was a wonderful surprise. rodriquez has shown that he can be a 2nd line scorer. holmann has a nice grinding game along with lane who can play 3rd line, and holmann can take faceoffs, keeping lane out of there for now. moran and roberto can and do make a solid 4th line. they work and control the puck and keep pressure on the other team while giving the top line a blow.

the catch now is getting 2 of the freshmen to step up and play with evan and CONTRIBUTE there. we need scoring. then the next guy up to skate with holmann and lane and pot a couple. then the odd man to play with the 4th line and show what he can do.

when we get bailagerioweon back we can perhaps get three lines who can score and continue to send out a strong 4th line to keep control as they've done so far.

but of course all of this only works if these freshmen are as talented as we hope they are.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  we all agree that everyone on last year's team is a question mark. however it seems that in neither practice nor games the freshman (olsson, phelps, aj, jj) have impressed the staff enough to make that move.
                  ahti's move was a wonderful surprise. rodriquez has shown that he can be a 2nd line scorer. holmann has a nice grinding game along with lane who can play 3rd line, and holmann can take faceoffs, keeping lane out of there for now. moran and roberto can and do make a solid 4th line. they work and control the puck and keep pressure on the other team while giving the top line a blow.

the catch now is getting 2 of the freshmen to step up and play with evan and CONTRIBUTE there. we need scoring. then the next guy up to skate with holmann and lane and pot a couple. then the odd man to play with the 4th line and show what he can do.

when we get bailagerioweon back we can perhaps get three lines who can score and continue to send out a strong 4th line to keep control as they've done so far.

but of course all of this only works if these freshmen are as talented as we hope they are.
                  Over the past few years, I've looked at the scoring stats for BU's opponents. These stats are listed on each game's line charts. My observation is that any team having a 3rd line that can score consistently should cakewalk to the FF, provided they don't have a Swiss cheese defense. I can't recall any team having a 10 goal scorer on its third line (well, maybe BC before the well ran dry). A typical 3rd line stat is, say, 25 games, 4g, 6a.

Comment

our 2009 team had a 3rd line (or 4th?) of saponari-trivino-connolly, no? connolly had 10/20--30. only had 8 goals from Vincent and 6 outta corey.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      our 2009 team had a 3rd line (or 4th?) of saponari-trivino-connolly, no? connolly had 10/20--30. only had 8 goals from Vincent and 6 outta corey.
                      Right, and they were HE and NCAA champs.

Comment

Right, and they were HE and NCAA champs.
                        they were?!?!?!?!

Comment

conolly had 30 points? srsly?
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            conolly had 30 points? srsly?
                            Mookie don't make chit up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                              Wow I just realized the brutal schedule BU has after their break. Union, 2 @ Wisconsin (I know they're having a horrible season, but still I don't see those games being easy), BC (never an easy game), UML, @ UVM for 2, then after a game vs Umass they have Harvard and UML again before the Beanpot final. Even if they win 7 of those 11 games they should be in good shape. Anyone feeling this could be the first HU vs NU Beanpot final?
                              Under no circumstances should the Wisconsin games be anything but two wins. That team is absolutely putrid, and just lost one of their Dmen today who'd played in every game. I don't care where the games are being played, they're one of the worst three or four teams in the country, anything less than two wins would be a poor result.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Under no circumstances should the Wisconsin games be anything but two wins. That team is absolutely putrid, and just lost one of their Dmen today who'd played in every game. I don't care where the games are being played, they're one of the worst three or four teams in the country, anything less than two wins would be a poor result.
                                Heard that as well. I don't think they've had a team this bad in decades. Tried to ask the faithful about it on the thread. Basically was told to go away and not bother them. Can't say I blame them.
                                Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Working...
                                X