Notre Dame Hockey 2014-15: The year of the Freshman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame Hockey 2014-15: The year of the Freshman

So I have reached a life changing decision. I will no longer renew my season ticket package for Notre Dame hockey. My sister did not renew her season tickets beginning 2 seasons ago. I bet my brother will not renew either since I am not. For the first time in nearly 40 years, there will not be a season ticket holder with the last name of Wood at Notre Dame hockey games. The final nail in the coffin, you ask? Apparently, some people around us were "offended" (to use the usher's admonishing verbiage) by our complaints about the product on the ice.

You want to know what I am offended by? In no particular order, I am offended by:

1. the fact that the last piece to the puzzle for a national championship was this palace; yet we are further away from said trophy than when we played in a dump.
    2. the sterile, impersonal quality of aforementioned palace. I become hooked on Notre Dame hockey, in part, because the players were so accessible. I was a 12 year-old season ticket holder who had the biggest crush on John Schmidt and he took the time (quite often) to stop and talk with me after games, at practices, even after he graduated when I saw him in Indy that summer. What 12 year-old can do that now? Just hang out with a player?
    3. the separation of parents and fans. I remember from my earliest games getting to know the families of the players. Hell, I babysat Dave Poulin's kid brother when his family would take Dave out after games. His brother and I would hang out at the hotel, play video games and fall asleep. I won't even go into the relationship I formed with the Regan's. Or the White's. Or the Van Guilder's.
    4. the fact that it took 2 years of complaining before someone finally listened and turned down the volume of the canned music.
    5. the secondary reason for the CFIA apparently. Hockey is not the main focus anymore. It's salute a vet (even the ones they have to ship in because they've run out of Indiana vets). It's the Meijer sign extravaganza. It's the hyperactive fan of the game. It's the shrill weather girls explaining (every weekend) shufflepuck. It's autographs with Miss Indiana.
    6. the fact that no one listens when I ask why the program doesn't also salute other heroes. You know, the ones NOT in uniform. Like, say, nurses, firefighters, Hospice volunteers, or others who read to the blind, deliver books to shut-ins or mentor elementary school kids. Is the university so terrified of appearing unpatriotic if they don't constantly genuflect to the military?
    7. those people around me who think it is perfectly acceptable to allow their children to scream at the top of their lungs when the jumbotron implores everyone to "Get loud." No, it is not cute.
    8. the loss of old rivalries because the administration is embarrassed that Notre Dame is in Indiana and wants desperately to relocate (if in their minds only) to the East Coast.
    9. related to #8, the fact that our OOC schedule blows. Where's North Dakota? Where's Michigan State? Where's Denver? Where's Michigan? Bowling Green? Penn State? Yale? Quinnipiac?
    10. the fact that I spend hundreds and hundreds of my hard-earned dollars and unless I am sunshine and roses, I should keep my mouth shut. Those who know me know one certain thing: Never tell Mary Catherine to shut her mouth.

I wish the hockey players nothing but great success, both here and in their futures, regardless of whether hockey is a part of that future. I'll save my money and watch the games from the comfort of my couch where if I don't sit on my hands or politely golf-clap, no one will chastise me.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

So just curious, how many of you folks are coming east for the series against Lowell?
      Gary

www.umlhockey.com
      Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
      "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
      KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
        So just curious, how many of you folks are coming east for the series against Lowell?
        I don't have a passport so I can't go to HE road games. LoL

Comment

On the flip side of things, we made it pass umass with a crazy Friday night game and everything that goes with it. Cal seems to be playing really well.
          Now the big question, do we have any chance this coming weekend?

Why we might? Cal is playing great, we are playing better (see wins over PC, BU, BC). Well, better more often at least. UML has struggled down the stretch, although they did do alright in the last series of the season.

why we don't? Isn't our overall all-time record against Lowell something like 0-8-2? or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
            Lowell is to the west of where I live, but I'll likely catch a game or two.
            Notre Dame Hockey
            Reigning Big Ten Champions
            Reigning CCHA Champions
            Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Originally posted by irishstate View Post
              UML has struggled down the stretch, although they did do alright in the last series of the season.
              Lowell ended the season on a 5-game unbeaten streak (2-0-3).

Originally posted by irishstate View Post
              Isn't our overall all-time record against Lowell something like 0-8-2? or something like that?
              0-4-1
              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                Lowell ended the season on a 5-game unbeaten streak (2-0-3).
                They did, or 2-1-3 over last 3 series (but 0-1-1 against umass). But since Jan 1 they are 6-7-3. When we played them earlier they were 7-2-2. That is a enough to say they were struggling at the end I think, specially with not doing so bad in the last series. Take that out and the RIT win, suddenly they are 4-7-2 in the last HE games.

Then 0-4-1... yea I was predicting the future I guess? We've never beat them? hopefully we can win at least 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                  9. related to #8, the fact that our OOC schedule blows. Where's North Dakota? Where's Michigan State? Where's Denver? Where's Michigan? Bowling Green? Penn State? Yale? Quinnipiac?
                  You won't see Bowling Green until ND agrees to equal reciprocity. Apparently they have refused all offers to play unless all of the games are played in South Bend. Coach Bergeron, in particular, won't play that game. ND isn't the only team in the area with that attitude. UM and MSU are also trying to play hardball in that regard. OSU is the only team that has given us a home and home series every year since realignment. In fact, they approached us about maintaining that relationship. As for the other three, the last time I looked BG is ranked above all three of them so we have no compelling reason to agree to their demands. Yearly home and home series with old rivals would be great for everyone involved but the holier than thou mindsets of certain schools needs to change before it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                    You won't see Bowling Green until ND agrees to equal reciprocity. Apparently they have refused all offers to play unless all of the games are played in South Bend. Coach Bergeron, in particular, won't play that game. ND isn't the only team in the area with that attitude. UM and MSU are also trying to play hardball in that regard.
                    And therein lies one of the main reasons I have lost much of my interest in paying hard earned $$$ to see Notre Dame games in person.

I applaud any team that insists upon a 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 arrangement. Every team playing D1 hockey should insist upon this. But too many won't. It is more cost effective for Lake State (as an example) to come here and play then spend the money setting up and using their own rink. Some years ago in fact I believe they were one CCHA school that was actually going to DECLINE a home ice playoff series if it came down to it because the program would have been better off financially travelling than playing it at home before a lousy crowd. Financial concerns play a part in both teams insisting on lots of home games, and lots of other teams willing to forego any non-conference home games. I think the NCAA should tweak the RPI even further to give an even higher bonus for road games. The modest tweak initiated last season is not nearly enough of an incentive for teams like ND to play more road games.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                      I think the NCAA should tweak the RPI even further to give an even higher bonus for road games. The modest tweak initiated last season is not nearly enough of an incentive for teams like ND to play more road games.
                      Data shows that playing at home increases your chance of winning by 5-10% and the new PWR essentially gives you a 20% penalty for playing at home. Meaning in the current setup is already overly incentivizing playing road games by 200-400%, I doubt any increase in that 20% will be coming soon (or ever).

What this also means is that by playing soooooo many home games ND is putting money as a priority over giving themselves the best (or maybe even a good) chance at making the NCAA tournament, which helps explain why the fanbase appears to be getting so frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                        Data shows that playing at home increases your chance of winning by 5-10% and the new PWR essentially gives you a 20% penalty for playing at home. Meaning in the current setup is already overly incentivizing playing road games by 200-400%, I doubt any increase in that 20% will be coming soon (or ever).

While a team may have an overall 5-10% better chance of winning at home versus the road when all games are calculated, the kinds of teams that make up the buy games are the bottom feeders of the weaker conferences and as such are even more likely to be easy wins.

In NCAA basketball the road win/home loss difference is even greater, 1.4/0.6, although the use of RPI in selecting and seeding the field for that tournament has largely been overstated, unlike in hockey, where the RPI has become outsized in it's importance in who gets in and who they play.

I wish the NCAA would see as one if its roles a greater need to ensure as level a playing field as possible among teams in the same division, at least when it comes to criteria for selecting participants in a championship tournament. There is nothing Major League Baseball can do to keep the Yankees from making more money on ticket sales and broadcast revenue than the Pirates make (and little they SHOULD do IMO) but they don't let the Yankees play 102 games in the Bronx and only 60 on the road. If teams like Notre Dame (and whoever else) insist upon playing virtually all of their so-called open dates at home against horrible competition, then the NCAA should do even more to ensure it doesn't unfairly advantage them. I hate that Notre Dame jumped on that bandwagon the first chance they got. In the past teams used such scheduling to an even far greater advantage, and this was the reason for the changes in the first place. I'd be in favor of an even greater change in how the RPI is figured, especially when it comes to non-conference games. I do agree that no more changes are likely soon or even ever.

Comment

I've always thought it a little strange since I started following college hockey. It seems that the teams would simply do what they do in football (I know, football in a hockey forum. shoot me). But teams would ask, Why should we play a big east school? why should we play boise state? we have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Likewise, you would think that ND would simply schedule a hard OCC schedule. A split with North Dakota would do more than a sweep of say, Niagara. I like that ND actually schedules some games with at least 1 team from each conference. If you are going to play an AH team, then play Robert morris. maybe Mercyhurst lately. But if HE simply plays NHCH, with a little ECAC and Big10 then it makes it hard for the little guys to move up in the rpi. But I would think that a schedule where I'm playing North Dakota, Minnesota, Denver, Cornell. something along those lines would do me really well. I wouldn't have to sweep all the time, I could sweep one series and split the rest and do ok.

I could understand that ND has chosen to go for the money and home games over a better rpi/pairwise etc The truth is that the LSSU and Niagara series were the ends of fall break.... attendance was really low. They couldn't have made that much money. Should have done a road series there against a better opponent.

Comment

While a team may have an overall 5-10% better chance of winning at home versus the road when all games are calculated, the kinds of teams that make up the buy games are the bottom feeders of the weaker conferences and as such are even more likely to be easy wins.
                            Correct, but that part is accounted for by being penalized for in the two strength of schedule component (OW% and OOW%). Playing them at home also penalizes ND in their own winning% component.

I do agree that no more changes are likely soon or even ever.
                            They are constantly tinkering with the formula, so more changes are surely on the way, I just doubt an increase in the home/away disparity is one of them.

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/882983...7651349321702/

Photos from game 1 against UMass Lowell. Game 3 should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by slasher911 View Post
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/882983...7651349321702/

Photos from game 1 against UMass Lowell. Game 3 should be interesting.
                                Nice pics...take more!
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X