Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Kendall Classic: UAA, UAF, Wisconsin, Maine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Kendall Classic: UAA, UAF, Wisconsin, Maine.

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
    The goal rush is based on the old CCHA rules, thus no ties. So western and Alaska ran a shootout for the championship. Bruce not knowing is his fault. Same situation in 2008 with Alaska and RPI.
    Bruce and folks in the press box were told in the press box by the SID that it would be goal differential....then the SID changed his tune...

Comment

Selected shots and brief comments from UAF vs Wisconsin (post #61) HERE.
      More UAF vs Wisconsin shots HERE

Selected shots and brief comments from UAF vs Maine (post #62) HERE
      More UAF vs Maine shots HERE.

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
        Bruce and folks in the press box were told in the press box by the SID that it would be goal differential....then the SID changed his tune...
        We have had 4 different SIDs in the last year or so. The rules haven't changed...

Edit: that said, goal differential would have been the tie breaker if there was a tie. But a head to head match can't end in a tie, so when Alaska beat WMU in the shootout, Alaska was 2-0. WMU was 1-1. It just worked out that the final game was essentially the tournament championship game.
        Last edited by UAFHockeyFan314; 10-13-2014, 02:40 AM.
        Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

with alaska-fairbanks, UAF, Alaska....the rules change by the minute....just saying that the SID at that time said it was going to be goal differential, even though it had been shootouts in the past...a tourney manual or media guide have long gone bye bye...kind of like the hi def been cameras that have been collecting dust for over a year.....

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
            with alaska-fairbanks, UAF, Alaska....the rules change by the minute....just saying that the SID at that time said it was going to be goal differential, even though it had been shootouts in the past...a tourney manual or media guide have long gone bye bye...kind of like the hi def been cameras that have been collecting dust for over a year.....
            My point was, the SID last year had been on the job for two weeks when the goal rush tourney hit. He was sharp, but had misguided confidence in the information he relayed at times early on. I wish that he had stayed... The coaches knew exactly what the tie breakers were, it was in their info packets. Why they weren't available to the media is unknown. I will make sure that info gets passed on. I don't want a repeat of last years cluster.
            Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
              Thanks for a well thought out argument for the goal differential. Maybe you can tell me how UA_ managed to win their tourney last year, because it seems like Western Michigan should have won it. Western beat UAA 6-2 and UA_ beat DU 3-2 Then Western and UA_ tied 3-3. Western scored a total of 9 goals and had 5 goals against. UA_ scored 6 goals and had 5 goals against. I distinctly recall Bruce being totally confused when UA_ won the tourney. He said on the air that they were told beforehand how the winners would be decided, but that is not how it all came down. Can you explain this?
              No, I'm not familiar with the rules of that tourney. That's why I thought it would be interesting to see how other tournaments do it.

[edit]. I see that the other tournament is based on the old CCHA rules. Those rules basically said there are no ties - a tie at the end of OT then goes to the shootout and the winner of the shootout is declared a winner (so to speak - it was really called "tie, shootout win" or something like that).

Aaaaannnnyyyy way.... so any game in the Fairbanks tournament that ended in a tie would have gone to a shoot out. It just so happened that by coincidence the only game that tied was betwen the two teams that had won on the first night. Any of the other games would have done the same, but there were no other ties.

Not unfair in any way, just another way to determine a "winner" of these sort of half-*****ed tournaments, I guess.

Interesting that there was confusion by the announcer at the time as to how it would be decided. That seems like total amateur hour on the part of someone. It seems like the coaches knew what was going on, but the announcer didn't. Having heard the Fairbanks announcer, my bias is that it would have been on him - he's a pretty amateur sounding announcer and doesn't strike me as being the sharpest knife in the drawer, and obviously didn't make the professional effort to know that important detail before hand. Not like the others I'm somewhat familiar with (Anchorage guy - great.... Minnesota guys - great.... can't think off hand of some others, but there's a bunch that are very good). But I have no idea really.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                He seemed to be in a butthurt mood all weekend.
                Originally posted by Suze View Post
                He's just a bit melodramatic. I always liked him better than Gwoz or Hakstol.
                I can certainly understand about Hak, but Gwoz.... I mean really.

Losing 2 games in Alaska including a shutout probably topped the effrontery of th[e hallway/dressing room portable cans

And Congratulations to the SeaWolves for an unndefeated weekend! Do it again in_airbanks!

Btw Gwoz and Eaves were teammates in Madison.
                Last edited by vizoroo; 10-13-2014, 11:21 PM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Eaves throw a hissy fit?

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                    I can certainly understand about Hak, but Gwoz.... I mean really.

Losing 2 games in Alaska including a shutout probably topped the effrontery of th[e hallway/dressing room portable cans

And Congratulations to the SeaWolves for an unndefeated weekend! Do it again in_airbanks!

Btw Gwoz and Eaves were teammates in Madison.
                    Thanks Viz. And I didn't know that about Eaves and Gwoz.
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                    X