Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 Kendall Classic: UAA, UAF, Wisconsin, Maine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Kendall Classic: UAA, UAF, Wisconsin, Maine.

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    Why is USCHO calling Kendall a tournament? It says on front page UAF claimed the classic.
    It's a tournament without actual tournament seeding. Winners don't play each other, as the NCAA won't allow the visiting teams the exemption in their schedule if they play a team that isn't from Alaska--despite travelling here--which is the reason they are actually coming. So the tournament winner is often decided by tie breaking procedures, the first of which is goal differential.
    Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by UAA08 View Post
      UAF Ice Angel is like going to McDonalds and ordering oatmeal.

It just doesn't make sense.
      Unfortunately for her, being a troll in real life doesn't mean you're a good one on the web...lol
      If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAA08 View Post
        Seriously? This is laughable. The dude had the puck, and Cameron came around the back of the net going Mach 3. What was he supposed to do? Let the guy keep the puck? Avoid the guy and run into the net?

Unfortunate? Yes. Vengeful? LOL.
        That Badger D man was getting freight trained no matter. Unfortunate he was turning low with his head down when the collision happened. Cameron didn't use his shoulder or elbow to the head, it was just a big hit. Ejected? The usual over reaction, called from 100' away by the ref with the worst view from the other corner.
        If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hal9K View Post
          That Badger D man was getting freight trained no matter. Unfortunate he was turning low with his head down when the collision happened. Cameron didn't use his shoulder or elbow to the head, it was just a big hit. Ejected? The usual over reaction, called from 100' away by the ref with the worst view from the other corner.
          And then a no balls even up on the Badger that goes after Cameron. It's something that bugs me about hockey referees in general, tending to go light on players just because their teammate is on the ice.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
            Keeping the (lack of) classiness consistent from last night to today Seapup fans. Good job!
            Complaining about "Classlessness" with regard to Hockey fans is ludicrous. Especially when UA_ fans have historically had many moments of which to be ashamed themselves. The actions of one or a few are not representative of an entire fanbase anyway and applying judgement to the whole based on such a thing is completely against reason.

Comment

Angel, you did pretty good at the Pick-Em. If you had got your Seawolf bias under control you would be tied for best picker.
              I was pleased you and a bunch of other folks from _airbanks made the trip.
              Had a good time bantering with some of them.
              Even ran into a couple of guys checking out the Alaska Airlines Center. They weren't aware the Seawolves ladies were about to spank the nooks in volleyball. And take em to the woodshed they did. 3 straight sets. By big margins in the last two sets.
              But I digress sports hate is fine however try to forget it when you pick-em.

Comment

Thanks, Alaskan friends, for beating the badgers.
                Last edited by Bonin21; 10-12-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Thanks, Alaskan friends, for beating the badgers.
                  Thanks you for the kind words but ..... we did it for their fans who said they were "over rated" and are now cliff diving to their true spot in the standings.
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                    Even ran into a couple of guys checking out the Alaska Airlines Center. They weren't aware the Seawolves ladies were about to spank the nooks in volleyball. And take em to the woodshed they did. 3 straight sets. By big margins in the last two sets.
                    Congratulations Seawolves. I hear the winning team from that afternoon matchup got free tickets to go watch the Nanooks win the Kendall Classic. Sweeet.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      Congratulations Seawolves. I hear the winning team from that afternoon matchup got free tickets to go watch the Nanooks win the Kendall Classic. Sweeet.
                      Still butt hurt over the Seawolfs ending your season I see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                        Angel, you did pretty good at the Pick-Em. If you had got your Seawolf bias under control you would be tied for best picker.
                        I was pleased you and a bunch of other folks from _airbanks made the trip.
                        Had a good time bantering with some of them.
                        But I digress sports hate is fine however try to forget it when you pick-em.
                        Maybe...that's all I can promise is MAYBE. But just an FYI I'll be picking Penn State over UAA next week. Heck im still stuck on if I'll choose them over my own team. But Gadowsky was a huge influence in my life so it's hard to go against him.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                          But Gadowsky was a huge influence in my life so it's hard to go against him.
                          Does that mean you might emulate him and go to New Jersey for a while then to Pennsylvania?

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            UAA scored 7 goals and had 3 against, while UA_ scored 6 and were scored on twice. That give them both the same differential of 4, correct? It seems like the second tie breaker would be goals scored, not goals allowed. Strange format. In my mind the difference is the empty net goal the Nanooks were able to get.
                            I think the rationale is this: Goal differential as the first tie breaker - I doubt very many people think that's too weird. Seems to make sense to me.

Second vs third tie breaker is the question and there are two choices: goals for or goals against. My guess is that if you talk to coaches as well as players, and say choose one over the other, they see more pride as a team in limiting goals than scoring goals. That's really what wins games in the end, no? So my guess is that if you had coaches and even players vote, they'd choose goals against. There would be differences of opinion sure, but that's my take on it.

In this particular case, the fact that the Alaska team shut out the Wisconsin team ultimately paid off for the tournament rankings. And really, isn't a shutout a really good thing - if you had to "score" a win, wouldn't you score a 1-0 shutout a little "better" than a 2-1 win? Note - I said if you had to choose, and "a little better".

Even if that's not true, using "goals for" would give more incentive to run up a score. It's already somewhat of an incentive in the goal differential tie breaker so it would double the incentive. But limiting goals is also a big incentive for the first tie breaker. Sure, teams should play hard until the end and sometimes running up the score happens. But I don't think many coaches would be in favor of increasing incentive to run up a score. Working as hard as possible to limit goals is a natural, normal, never disputed part of the game and sportsmanship. Scoring more goals just to score more goals is not.

And I don't disagree that the empty net goal was the factor that made it go to second tie breaker. It's kind of not a real goal, but when a team is in that position, it is very important to score that empty net goal if it can possibly be done. It is not something that you'd ever, ever coach a team not to do out of sympathy for the opponent or any other reason. It's a valid goal, a very important goal. Maybe not in this particular case, but in general.... plus it was not Alaska's decision to pull the goalie, they were in no way trying to run up the score in that scenario. They probably would have been happy if Maine had not pulled the goalie, as far as normal winning game strategy goes.. hope that makes sense.

Kind of convoluted, I know, and really not the best way to decide a champion. But given the tournament type, I think it makes sense.

When I played and coached (the little I did), we really emphasized that it was team D that won games and it was the first and most important thing to coach a team to do. Not the only thing, mind you, but when choices are made, put team D first.

I think this is an interesting discussion and I'd be interested in how other similar type of tournaments are run?
                            Last edited by camilo; 10-13-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by camilo View Post
                              I think the rationale is this: Goal differential as the first tie breaker - I doubt very many people think that's too weird. Seems to make sense to me.

Second vs third tie breaker is the question and there are two choices: goals for or goals against. My guess is that if you talk to coaches as well as players, and say choose one over the other, they see more pride as a team in limiting goals than scoring goals. That's really what wins games in the end, no? So my guess is that if you had coaches and even players vote, they'd choose goals against. There would be differences of opinion sure, but that's my take on it.

In this particular case, the fact that the Alaska team shut out the Wisconsin team ultimately paid off for the tournament rankings. And really, isn't a shutout a really good thing - if you had to "score" a win, wouldn't you score a 1-0 shutout a little "better" than a 2-1 win? Note - I said if you had to choose, and "a little better".

Even if that's not true, using "goals for" would give more incentive to run up a score. It's already somewhat of an incentive in the goal differential tie breaker so it would double the incentive. But limiting goals is also a big incentive for the first tie breaker. Sure, teams should play hard until the end and sometimes running up the score happens. But I don't think many coaches would be in favor of increasing incentive to run up a score. Working as hard as possible to limit goals is a natural, normal, never disputed part of the game and sportsmanship. Scoring more goals just to score more goals is not.

And I don't disagree that the empty net goal was the factor that made it go to second tie breaker. It's kind of not a real goal, but when a team is in that position, it is very important to score that empty net goal if it can possibly be done. It is not something that you'd ever, ever coach a team not to do out of sympathy for the opponent or any other reason. It's a valid goal, a very important goal. Maybe not in this particular case, but in general.... plus it was not Alaska's decision to pull the goalie, they were in no way trying to run up the score in that scenario. They probably would have been happy if Maine had not pulled the goalie, as far as normal winning game strategy goes.. hope that makes sense.

Kind of convoluted, I know, and really not the best way to decide a champion. But given the tournament type, I think it makes sense.

When I played and coached (the little I did), we really emphasized that it was team D that won games and it was the first and most important thing to coach a team to do. Not the only thing, mind you, but when choices are made, put team D first.

I think this is an interesting discussion and I'd be interested in how other similar type of tournaments are run?
                              Thanks for a well thought out argument for the goal differential. Maybe you can tell me how UA_ managed to win their tourney last year, because it seems like Western Michigan should have won it. Western beat UAA 6-2 and UA_ beat DU 3-2 Then Western and UA_ tied 3-3. Western scored a total of 9 goals and had 5 goals against. UA_ scored 6 goals and had 5 goals against. I distinctly recall Bruce being totally confused when UA_ won the tourney. He said on the air that they were told beforehand how the winners would be decided, but that is not how it all came down. Can you explain this?
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Thanks for a well thought out argument for the goal differential. Maybe you can tell me how UA_ managed to win their tourney last year, because it seems like Western Michigan should have won it. Western beat UAA 6-2 and UA_ beat DU 3-2 Then Western and UA_ tied 3-3. Western scored a total of 9 goals and had 5 goals against. UA_ scored 6 goals and had 5 goals against. I distinctly recall Bruce being totally confused when UA_ won the tourney. He said on the air that they were told beforehand how the winners would be decided, but that is not how it all came down. Can you explain this?
                                The goal rush is based on the old CCHA rules, thus no ties. So western and Alaska ran a shootout for the championship. Bruce not knowing is his fault. Same situation in 2008 with Alaska and RPI.
                                Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X