X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMass Lowell 2014-2015 Season: The March to March

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    Lil was home tonight for a bit. He says the students are hating on the new Fluff Song. They all think other schools 'will be laughing at us' (direct quote). Thinking very seriously about whether I want to give my tickets for Fri away, take a little vacation until either the rink returns to its raucous self or until someone figures out something. I don't want to go try to have fun and end up so aggravated I wish I didn't go.

Never got a response to my email. Didn't really want one but curious if anyone else did
    But if you don't go, you won't get your free t-shirt that has the words to the song on the back.

I'm really not looking forward to what might be nearly a full house on Friday and the experience/game atmosphere being totally in the tank. No traditional post-goal song, no horn, no squawking bird, nothing.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Lil was home tonight for a bit. He says the students are hating on the new Fluff Song. They all think other schools 'will be laughing at us' (direct quote). Thinking very seriously about whether I want to give my tickets for Fri away, take a little vacation until either the rink returns to its raucous self or until someone figures out something. I don't want to go try to have fun and end up so aggravated I wish I didn't go.

Never got a response to my email. Didn't really want one but curious if anyone else did
      I did:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out with your concern. As I'm sure you're aware, our ultimate goal is to create an atmosphere during our home hockey games that is viewed as one of the best in the country. We continue to work on new ways to help enhance the overall experience for our fans, students, alumni and campus community.

The new university fight song is something that has been in the works for over a decade on this campus and we are excited to have a song that will help build a new tradition for UMass Lowell. Obviously our fight song is only a few months old and it doesn't have the rich tradition yet like many other schools across the country (Michigan, Notre Dame, Boston College, etc.), but we need to start somewhere in building one and have a unique opportunity to do so.

As for the music following a scored goal, the addition of the fight song following the goal horn will continue to provide an outlet for our fans to participate and be engaged in a positive way at the Tsongas Center. I'm definitely conscious of making sure we don't discourage fans from participating and will continue to work with the pep band and campus community to make sure that the timing enables the crowd to offer up a hearty "UML" chant before a chorus of "SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE" brings us to the face-off.

Again, thank you for reaching out and I hope to see you this Friday.
      Lowell Forever
      Forever Lowell

Comment

Gee, some of us were right there with them over the last decade. Yes, it was something that was needed... but I know I warned them that they shouldn't just be looking for something and going with it if it wasn't any good. When they held that "competition" awhile back I know I suggested/warned that they should reserve the right to reject all entrants.

They act as if we weren't part of the general process acting as advisers. Or did those meetings I drove from CT for not happen?

FriarBoy, we know you guys read this. I know when I mentioned my issues with the song to go on record you had nothing to say in reply. The longer this goes on it becomes about more than this stupid "song". Its our school, not the administration's.

If the admin thinks we're going to form traditions around something this weaksauce then they're just fooling themselves. We aren't stupid.
        Last edited by Patman; 10-09-2014, 05:06 AM.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

ALl I can think of is the Emperor's New Clothes. The 3 tailors tell the king his clothes will be beautiful and he walks out naked. Well we have the nimrods(admin) telling the King (muckymucks) that the people will be so impressed (fans will love the song) and the people are all laughing as he walks out (fans are all screaming in protest unlike the story where they get to laugh- of course the other fans will be laughing.....) because they can see what is really happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
            I did:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out with your concern. As I'm sure you're aware, our ultimate goal is to create an atmosphere during our home hockey games that is viewed as one of the best in the country. We continue to work on new ways to help enhance the overall experience for our fans, students, alumni and campus community.

The new university fight song is something that has been in the works for over a decade on this campus and we are excited to have a song that will help build a new tradition for UMass Lowell. Obviously our fight song is only a few months old and it doesn't have the rich tradition yet like many other schools across the country (Michigan, Notre Dame, Boston College, etc.), but we need to start somewhere in building one and have a unique opportunity to do so.

As for the music following a scored goal, the addition of the fight song following the goal horn will continue to provide an outlet for our fans to participate and be engaged in a positive way at the Tsongas Center. I'm definitely conscious of making sure we don't discourage fans from participating and will continue to work with the pep band and campus community to make sure that the timing enables the crowd to offer up a hearty "UML" chant before a chorus of "SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE" brings us to the face-off.

Again, thank you for reaching out and I hope to see you this Friday.
            Emphasis is mine. It looks like the new hires that be want to rebrand the PR of the hockey team by removing the most milquetoast of chants they find offensive, (i.e. SIEVE YOU S*CK) by removing the trigger (R&R pt 2). I don't know why they find it so offensive as BC and BU have much more offensive chants that are used regularly by their fans. It is clear that these D1 consultants are trying to elevate the schools image by trying to coerce the fans into being more polite instead of capitalizing on the organic creations that past history has wrought. I don't know if these PR hacks ever commute to campus, or have taken a wrong turn into the Acre, but this is Lowell, not exactly an upper class agrarian based utopia of academia. We're a hardworking school that produces excellence because we work hard.

I have some colleagues in town this weekend and I don't think I'll be bringing them to the game Friday night. I don't want them to see what this nearly inevitable train wreck will look like. Lets just hope the game ends in a 0-0 tie.

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfAramark View Post
              Lets just hope the game ends in a 0-0 tie.
              Um ... no.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I have some colleagues in town this weekend and I don't think I'll be bringing them to the game Friday night. I don't want them to see what this nearly inevitable train wreck will look like. Lets just hope the game ends in a 0-0 tie.
                I'm right there with you. I was considering taking some friends who have never been to a UML game opening night because the atmosphere at the BC game last season was incredible. This fight song nonsense has already soured me on that idea. I also think they're doing this to get rid of the 'sieve you suck' chants.

Comment

ALl I can think of is the Emperor's New Clothes. The 3 tailors tell the king his clothes will be beautiful and he walks out naked. Well we have the nimrods(admin) telling the King (muckymucks) that the people will be so impressed (fans will love the song) and the people are all laughing as he walks out (fans are all screaming in protest unlike the story where they get to laugh- of course the other fans will be laughing.....) because they can see what is really happening.
                  I'm worried more about lack of a tested goalie in between the pipes right now than the song but I'd love it if we could get all in attendance to just chant right over the song. Maybe some signs could start showing up in the crowd displaying the feeling we all have on this "fight" song.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                    I'm right there with you. I was considering taking some friends who have never been to a UML game opening night because the atmosphere at the BC game last season was incredible. This fight song nonsense has already soured me on that idea. I also think they're doing this to get rid of the 'sieve you suck' chants.
                    Well, it didn't always have "you suck" as part of it (and I can name names)... but if they're worried about that then there are other issues. its not ilke its keeping people away.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I think what truly matters is that at the end of the day, I'll still show up to support my team and watch good hockey.

Comment

I think what truly matters is that at the end of the day, I'll still show up to support my team and watch good hockey.
                        Good point. Nothing beats jumping out of your chair when you see the puck hit the back of the net. They can't take that away.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryK View Post
                          Four of us have already booked our plane tickets to Chicago to head out to ND. I'm likely heading to Minneapolis, as well.
                          Tickets for the games at Notre Dame are available through the Alumni Office.

Comment

Originally posted by viewfrom123.com View Post
                            Reminder the Wild play tonight at 9:00pm on the NBC Sports Network.

Looking for more NHL games, Comcast is currently offering the Center Ice package for free for a limited time.

Comment

Inside Hockey East Podcast with Commissioner Joe Bertagna.

In 2014-15, the Hockey East Association launched Inside Hockey East, its first-ever weekly podcast, to deliver fans a behind-the-scenes look into both the men's and women's programs. Hosted by long-time Boston University radio voice Bernie Corbett, Inside Hockey East will be produced each week throughout the regular season to provide an outlet for league administrators, coaches, players and members of the media to talk about all things Hockey East.
                              Game preview from the UML site.
                              http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...009141606.aspx

BC Hockey vs. Lowell: Q&A With Lowell Sun's Shawn Hutcheon
                              Last edited by boblav1; 10-09-2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                Well, it didn't always have "you suck" as part of it (and I can name names)... but if they're worried about that then there are other issues. its not ilke its keeping people away.
                                Never been a fan of the You suck portion. However if the students get organized I am sure they can ftr it all in. Instead of UML, UML UML they just say Seive, sieve, sieve and then instead of Go BLUE they yell You Suck. I would love to lose the You SUck part. Maybe in stead say "its..... ALLLLLLLLLLL....your Fault".

Anyone else feel like choking on GO BLUE? Anyone with any history in Hockey East knows that is Maine's chant and has been for more years than I have been around. Lil says he can't wait for Maine to come to town so they can all chime in.

Comment

Working...
                                X