X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 2014-2015 Season: The March to March

ESPN radio app has the basketball game tonight... sad night in Atlanta

Edit: WCAP app still carrying the game
    Last edited by UML Puck Hawk; 11-14-2014, 05:43 PM.
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Ugly but a win

Comment

Great first two periods from Lowell. Not really sure what happened in the third, they looked like hammered crap. Penn State takes a lot of shots but most of them come from the perimeter and pose little threat. The Lions look like they're used to out hustling and out working the other team, but they ran into a team who (for two periods, anyway) skated faster and grinded harder than they did.

I'd sit Hough tomorrow, looked like he had a tough night. I don't want to see Boyle in net again. I've never seen worse rebound control at the D1 level in my life. It was almost embarrassing.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

Was at the AHL Wolf Pack game in lovely Hartford CT while at a conference and followed the game via the CHN. Love to hear the recap. Very much looking forward to seeing things in person tomorrow.

Comment

• So much negativity. Up 5-1. It was garbage time. It's like saying the patriots defense looks awful when they give up 14 points in the fourth quarter when winning by 35.

Lowell dominated the game. Plain and simple. Game will be closer on Saturday night but expect another lowell win. 8-1-2 on Sunday morning. But yeah... "Ugly".

Comment

Originally posted by fr0zn-4 View Post
              So much negativity. Up 5-1. It was garbage time. It's like saying the patriots defense looks awful when they give up 14 points in the fourth quarter when winning by 35.

Lowell dominated the game. Plain and simple. Game will be closer on Saturday night but expect another lowell win. 8-1-2 on Sunday morning. But yeah... "Ugly".
              the radio gave the impression that it was sort of the "garbage time" bit... coaches work their players to work hard through garbage time because they want to get rid of the idea that there's a time to let up... sort of the whole Geno Auriemma (wbb coach at uconn) being unhappy when rolling by 45. You're preparing for the next time.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                the radio gave the impression that it was sort of the "garbage time" bit... coaches work their players to work hard through garbage time because they want to get rid of the idea that there's a time to let up... sort of the whole Geno Auriemma (wbb coach at uconn) being unhappy when rolling by 45. You're preparing for the next time.
                Ever play hockey and be up by 4 goals!? Lemme know if you're intensity is the same. Lemme know if the crowd is the same. Some of these comments are astounding.

Comment

• Originally posted by fr0zn-4 View Post
                  Ever play hockey and be up by 4 goals!? Lemme know if you're intensity is the same. Lemme know if the crowd is the same. Some of these comments are astounding.
                  I feel like Lowell simply mailed it in during the 3rd too. Lowell turned it back on immediately after the 3rd PSU goal. They kept it out of their own zone for the most part the final minute and a half. Was the PSU goalie even able to get off the ice? I hope to see smith in net tomorrow.
                  Last edited by Middle Street; 11-14-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Good, now read what I wrote. That's the idea, that's not what happens. The radio in particular didn't want to see a let up per se because it drags down on the good habits or positive energy you had going.

Its nice that we have this luxury to be up by 4 and worry about this. Frankly I'm not concerned.

edit: and there's plenty of **** good reasons to let up when you're up by 4... namely having energy for the next game.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Credit has to be given to Penn State, too. It wasn't just that Lowell stopped skating, PSU turned it up when they could have mailed it in. Hopefully those two late goals can serve as a reminder for the 'Hawks to play all sixty minutes.

Expect to see Smith in net tomorrow night.
                      Lowell Forever
                      Forever Lowell

Comment

Free at last, Free at last! Now that I got the password fixed... Free at last! I'm going to be honest here, I wanted to see this be more of a statement game for UML tonight. After having a very "IFFY" weekend against the big 10. This team is much better (from what I've been listening to and watching recaps of, seeing as I'm stationed out here in CO.) than a 5-3 game against a Penn State team that seemed to let UML in with ease from what I heard from the gamecast on WCAP(I'll get to them later). My friend pointed this out to me that we gave up 40+ shots and I was surprised to hear that.

Now onto my concerns with the broadcasts. for the first 15 minutes I was listening tonight... There was this technical difficulty that just wouldnt go away (or it was ignored). The play by play was good... except I feel that they didnt know who was on the ice at all. Does anyone back home know what they are doing with games that are broadcasted the same day as bball games? IF they are going to simulcast it on another station? Cuz honestly I cant listen to WUML guys are funny but its not what im looking to listen to.
                        BACK 2 BACK HE Champions whoda thunk it! Final Four 2013!

Comment

Also I'm hoping/ praying for Norm to pull what he did with Hellebuyck and Carr with Boyle/ Smith. What was Boyle doing on those three goals??? wayyyyyy too far out in front
                          BACK 2 BACK HE Champions whoda thunk it! Final Four 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by UMLHockey224 View Post
                            Free at last, Free at last! Now that I got the password fixed... Free at last! I'm going to be honest here, I wanted to see this be more of a statement game for UML tonight. After having a very "IFFY" weekend against the big 10. This team is much better (from what I've been listening to and watching recaps of, seeing as I'm stationed out here in CO.) than a 5-3 game against a Penn State team that seemed to let UML in with ease from what I heard from the gamecast on WCAP(I'll get to them later). My friend pointed this out to me that we gave up 40+ shots and I was surprised to hear that.

Now onto my concerns with the broadcasts. for the first 15 minutes I was listening tonight... There was this technical difficulty that just wouldnt go away (or it was ignored). The play by play was good... except I feel that they didnt know who was on the ice at all. Does anyone back home know what they are doing with games that are broadcasted the same day as bball games? IF they are going to simulcast it on another station? Cuz honestly I cant listen to WUML guys are funny but its not what im looking to listen to.
                            yeah, its only being broadcast on part of the network. I got the feed from WCAP for tonight. I don't know what the intent is with basketball. I'd sooner send the students (edit: student radio) out to Columbus than use ESPNNH even if we are paying them.

edit: when there are schedule conflicts, naturally

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

So much negativity. Up 5-1. It was garbage time. It's like saying the patriots defense looks awful when they give up 14 points in the fourth quarter when winning by 35.

I agree 100%. I left this game thinking how **** good Lowell is not groping to find negatives. Penn State had a snowball's chance in hell for 1 minute and 40 seconds - between when they scored their first goal of the game to start the 2cnd and when Edwardh answered with Lowell's 3rd goal. Looked to me like PSU gave it all they had with every player gassed at the end of his shift. They struck me as a classy hard working well coached team. I liked how they raced up to the line during introductions and I could see them pumping up in the tunnel before the 3rd, obviously not giving up. They have a few huge guys who can really skate but in general they don't appear to have the team speed or puck skills to beat Lowell unless we totally take the night off.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                                I agree 100%. I left this game thinking how **** good Lowell is not groping to find negatives. Penn State had a snowball's chance in hell for 1 minute and 40 seconds - between when they scored their first goal of the game to start the 2cnd and when Edwardh answered with Lowell's 3rd goal. Looked to me like PSU gave it all they had with every player gassed at the end of his shift. They struck me as a classy hard working well coached team. I liked how they raced up to the line during introductions and I could see them pumping up in the tunnel before the 3rd, obviously not giving up. They have a few huge guys who can really skate but in general they don't appear to have the team speed or puck skills to beat Lowell unless we totally take the night off.
                                That first line is pretty good but they just didn't have much anywhere else.
                                My negatives with Lowell were all in net and a little with the defensive let down in the third.
                                Riverhawks knew the game was over and a youthful team let their guard down. A very coachable moment and the team responded well after goal 3 found it's way behind boyle.

As far as Boyle goes, he has some of the loudest rebounds I've ever heard. It's crazy. Furthermore, he is so wildly out of position I'm not quite sure that he knows where the net is sometimes. He was way out a couple of times and Penn St missed great opportunities.
                                Other than his frightening play, I thought everything else was pretty good.
                                Let's not forget that other than playing an interesting UConn team, Penn has only beaten Bentley and Holy Cross. They haven't really been tested all year and I think Lowell opened their eyes up. I expect a better game tonight just due to Penn now knowing that they're effort wasn't nearly enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X