X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 2014-2015 Season: The March to March

Some musings:

- Peca is so good it's disgusting. Best player on the ice last night, regardless of the outcome. Every time he touched the puck I had an overwhelming sense of impending doom.

- Hard to hang the 1st and 3rd goals on Boyle, but he HAS to improve his rebound control.

- I came away even more impressed with CJ Smith. He and Campbell are going to be leading this offense for the next couple of years.

- Hough worked his *** off last night. Took a hitting too hard penalty late (fine, it was a legit call) but out hustled every Q player on the ice for the remainder of the third.

- That Kapla goal was just unfair. Lowell was celebrating by the time Garteig stood up.

- According to Bob, Lowell won 19 of 26 faceoffs in the third. Peca, who was 14-2 going into the third (mostly against Campbell) was 0-7 in the final period (mostly against Maniccia and Gambardella)

- Speaking of Maniccia and Gambardella, I've been so impressed by their play. They just continue to get noticeably better and better.

- Zink had an awful couple of periods to start the game (including the penalty that led to the first Q goal), BUT he was really strong in the third beginning with the early PP shift.

- The breakout and zone entries were great. They got sloppy in the neutral zone several times and gave the Q odd man breaks, but again, for this early in the season with so many new players? I'll take this all day long. They'll iron out the turnovers.

- Great to see the team respond when the Q tried to claw back into the game. It's nice to see goals from so many different players.

At the beginning of the weekend I was hoping for a split. Lowell has that in the bag, now it's time to steal another point or two on the road.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Comment

Nice recap Patronick.
      Last edited by Fishhawk; 10-18-2014, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
        Nice recap Patronick.
        Game recap from the Boston Globe.
        http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...yvM/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
          Nice recap Patronick.
          I agree and would add the following; I’ve been impressed with the play of Robert Francis. He’s got speed, good hands, and always seems to be around the puck. I’m happy for Gambardella; his hustle is finally paying dividends for him; he was snake bit last year. Boyle is a concern; his rebound control is atrocious. He’s had pucks get between his legs only to be cleared away by D at the last second twice this season. I’m hoping the coaching staff can do for him what they did for Mr. Doug Carr who was also prone to giving up a lot of rebounds early on. Overall I’m very happy with what we’ve seen; while far from perfect it’s certainly not the slow start we’ve experienced over the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
            So do we see Jeff Smith tonight? I believe the QU stream is free which is pretty awesome.
            Boyle gets the start tonight
            What did you say?
            Who own the Chiefs?
            What did he say?
            Owns! Owns!

Comment

Go Hawks! Complete the sweep!
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Hi all, new to posting but have been reading the board for the last couple years. There's a ton of inside info you guys offer, so thanks for that.

Obviously the start of this season has been great and I'm mighty impressed with the play of the underclassmen and whole team in general. Here's my worry though... Boyle. I feel like the wins have been in spite of his play. He's seems to be rather passive and doesn't project much confidence, if one were to read body language.I know we've been spoiled by great goalie talent before, but I am scared to think he's going to be between the pipes for the season. I don't know, but I'm sure y'all will set me straight.

There, my first post, virgin no more.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin donnelly View Post
                  Hi all, new to posting but have been reading the board for the last couple years. There's a ton of inside info you guys offer, so thanks for that.

Obviously the start of this season has been great and I'm mighty impressed with the play of the underclassmen and whole team in general. Here's my worry though... Boyle. I feel like the wins have been in spite of his play. He's seems to be rather passive and doesn't project much confidence, if one were to read body language.I know we've been spoiled by great goalie talent before, but I am scared to think he's going to be between the pipes for the season. I don't know, but I'm sure y'all will set me straight.

There, my first post, virgin no more.
                  Welcome to the board. Boyle's definitely not Connor, but I think he's been OK. The defense in front of him has generally done a good job of blocking shots and keeping the puck from him. He's had an issue with rebounds, which has been obvious. To be fair to him though, I think a full year plus of not playing in a real game ... the rust is showing. I do believe though that we will see the freshmen soon.
                  Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

anyone else having difficulty getting audio on their stream?

edit: nevermind thought we would hear something from them before puck drop
                    Last edited by UML Puck Hawk; 10-18-2014, 05:47 PM.
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Just in case someone's looking for the stream.

http://quinnipiac.prestosports.com/s...s_umass_lowell
                      Monty

Comment

Thats one way to score the first goal
                        BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

great pinch by Zink to set up the second goal.
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

Too many penalties in the first, but still nice to have a 2-1 lead after one.
                            Monty

Comment

giving up 5 powerplays is not something we want to be doing much, especially against a team like Quinnipiac.
                              BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

3-3 tie. Gambardella tied the game with 1:18 left in the third. Boyle was solid today, and huge in OT. Lowell was pretty lucky in this one. Horrible on the power play, and took too many penalties themselves, giving up 2 PK goals.
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X