X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2014-2015: Dedicated to Rich Curadi

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    I was unable to "attend" last night's game due to working late.

Thanks to jericho, realet, perhaps a few others for some excellent advice: after placing one person on ignore, I read through the game thread from start to finish, and it was one of the most pleasant game threads ever.

The win made it even sweeter.
    I love it when I'm right because it doesn't happen very often.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Any further post game comments from SA? Would be interested in his feeling about playing on the big sheet of ice with this team, how Kasdorf is feeling a day after whatever injury he sustained, and perhaps upcoming plans for the Michigan weekend. I just checked, and although Michigan gets a lot of TV coverage on Comcast cable around here, of course this coming weekend with RPI as the opponent, neither of the games are being telecast.

Edit: Just off the phone with Comcast. The Friday game is not being broadcast except on MTN2GO Plus(a subscription service for $9.95 for the game). The Saturday night game IS supposed to be broadcast on line by BTV2GO(not PLUS) which can be signed into for free if you subscribe to Comcast and their sports package with includes the BTN network. You have to temper this description by the fact that more often than not, Comcast reps have no clue what they are talking about. I have been told that games will be broadcast before, and get basketball, football replays, and almost any other sports programming instead.
      Last edited by DrDemento; 11-26-2014, 03:13 PM.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Was able to get to the Whit last night and catch the game. The better team won and a more representative score would have been something like 4 or 5 to 2. After a slow start to the first period the Engineers outskated UNH by a significant margin I thought. Bad shooting killed us. 15 breaks in on goal and misses the net by about a foot. Neal gets a flat pass from 14 to re-direct from about 10 feet out and he puts it about 2 feet over the net. My 13 year old commented that he would have gotten a better shot off. Neal breaks in 2 on 0 with 14 (see how I save on spelling?) and shoots it past the right post. Cardinal sin on a 2 on 0. Either you score or you pass - anything else is a fail.

Heard someone say that Diebold stole it for us.. really not the case. He played great but so did the keeper on the other end. Even the UNH fans could see it. Unless UNH had a PP they couldn't generate all that much.

I'm eager to see the rematch with Harvard.

We skate well.. we just don't finish well. I think it will come though. I was impressed with the poise of the freshmen. I also thought Hampton looked good on the blue line. Luke took a penalty for being too tall (indirect contact to the head). Some of the other calls were marginal (the goalie interference was ridiculous). Overall, I was pleased. This is a decent team and I expect them to continue to improve.
        Last edited by jmhusker; 11-26-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the game report, jmhusker.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
            Was able to get to the Whit last night and catch the game. The better team won and a more representative score would have been something like 4 or 5 to 2. After a slow start to the first period the Engineers outskated UNH by a significant margin I thought. Bad shooting killed us. 15 breaks in on goal and misses the net by about a foot. Neal gets a flat pass from 14 to re-direct from about 10 feet out and he puts it about 2 feet over the net. My 13 year old commented that he would have gotten a better shot off. Neal breaks in 2 on 0 with 14 (see how I save on spelling?) and shoots it past the right post. Cardinal sin on a 2 on 0. Either you score or you pass - anything else is a fail.

Heard someone say that Diebold stole it for us.. really not the case. He played great but so did the keeper on the other end. Even the UNH fans could see it. Unless UNH had a PP they couldn't generate all that much.

I'm eager to see the rematch with Harvard.

We skate well.. we just don't finish well. I think it will come though. I was impressed with the poise of the freshmen. I also thought Hampton looked good on the blue line. Luke took a penalty for being too tall (indirect contact to the head). Some of the other calls were marginal (the goalie interference was ridiculous). Overall, I was pleased. This is a decent team and I expect them to continue to improve.
            JM: If you can comment-do you think we are better suited this year for the big ice surface? Not that we will be playing on it much, but if we do play in Lake Placid, it could be critical.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              JM: If you can comment-do you think we are better suited this year for the big ice surface? Not that we will be playing on it much, but if we do play in Lake Placid, it could be critical.
              That's hard to say from one game but I will say we did not look uncomfortable on the big sheet. UNH usually uses the big ice to their advantage by having a fast team. This was not the case on Tuesday. They've struggled overall this season so maybe they aren't as quick as normal. I know that none of the UNH forwards really caught my eye (just a couple of their D). On our side I saw good moments from 14, 12, 25, 17 and 9 and I thought our D had decent vision getting the puck up to them - even on the big sheet.

So we showed speed and we moved the puck pretty well. That seems like a good formula for the big surface. But again... just one data point.
              Last edited by jmhusker; 11-27-2014, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets go red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by uncledave View Post
                  My feeling, after 25 years that span the Powers/Fridgen/Appert years, is that the commitment to national-contender-quality hockey at the HIGHEST ADMINISTRATIVE LEVELS is NOT present. Instead, in a parity-soaked atmosphere where 1 player CAN make a difference, RPI fans get ticket price increases, multi-million dollar mansions for the president,"marketing" representatives and other lip service while the ESSENCE of the game, great players, go elsewhere (see: Josh Jooris). I wish that they would "get back there", but as I said, I don't see RPI even keeping up with what the others are doing. Appert becomes, at most, the third most important person in improving the "program".
                  WOW !!!! A guy who has no idea of the inner workings of the program and has a fundamental misunderstanding of the current college hockey landscape commenting on a post of a guy who doesn't know which end is up. This can sometimes be a special place !!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!
                  What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                    That's hard to say from one game but I will say we did not look uncomfortable on the big sheet. UNH usually uses the big ice to their advantage by having a fast team. This was not the case on Tuesday. They've struggled overall this season so maybe they aren't as quick as normal. I know that none of the UNH forwards really caught my eye (just a couple of their D). On our side I saw good moments from 14, 12, 25, 17 and 9 and I thought our D had decent vision getting the puck up to them - even on the big sheet.

So we showed speed and we moved the puck pretty well. That seems like a good formula for the big surface. But again... just one data point.
                    Thanks for the report. Nice to hear from someone who was able to see the entire surface and how we cover it. I only was able to tune into the last 11+ minutes but i got the feeling we were very capable of the speed necessary for the bigger ice.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! About 7"-8" of snow in the winter wonderland that is Rensselaer County!

I wonder if the NBC Sports network will eventually stumble onto Thanksgiving NHL or NCAA games as a entertainment alternative, a potentially great tv afternoon. I mean, if people watched the Detroit Lions for generations on Thanksgiving, why not hockey? CATV's about niches, right?

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Thanks for the report. Nice to hear from someone who was able to see the entire surface and how we cover it. I only was able to tune into the last 11+ minutes but i got the feeling we were very capable of the speed necessary for the bigger ice.
                      I caught the very end of the game on werpi. I had the same thought hearing the comments on how we adapted to playing on the big sheet. (For this weekend, Yost Field House (1923!!!) does not have a big sheet? Wonder what Red Berenson would have really liked, all things considered?)
                      Last edited by fr. joe; 11-27-2014, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                        Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! About 7"-8" of snow in the winter wonderland that is Rensselaer County!

I wonder if the NBC Sports network will eventually stumble onto Thanksgiving NHL or NCAA games as a entertainment alternative, a potentially great tv afternoon. I mean, if people watched the Detroit Lions for generations on Thanksgiving, why not hockey? CATV's about niches, right?

I caught the very end of the game on werpi. I had the same thought hearing the comments on how we adapted to playing on the big sheet. (For this weekend, Yost Field House (1923!!!) does not have a big sheet? Wonder what Red Berenson would have really liked, all things considered?)
                        Red must have really liked the HFH (or the RPI FH as it was years ago, judging by his scoring exploits in the December 1961 Holiday tourney.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Red must have really liked the HFH (or the RPI FH as it was years ago, judging by his scoring exploits in the December 1961 Holiday tourney.
                          The list of former NCAA players who achieved great success as scorers at the NHL level is a fairly short list: Adam Oates, Bret Hull, Joe Niewendyk, Dave Taylor... As good as Red Berenson was, he played in a different era with fewer teams... but for about 5-6-7 years, he was quite good indeed. I wonder if he'd like a big sheet at Michigan?

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                            WOW !!!! A guy who has no idea of the inner workings of the program and has a fundamental misunderstanding of the current college hockey landscape commenting on a post of a guy who doesn't know which end is up. This can sometimes be a special place !!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!
                            This dude really p$%#ed you off to bring you out of retirement!!!
                            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding #26.
                              It makes you wonder why a Union fan would bring up academics on a hockey thread.
                              At the time, that's all they had going for them.

Comment

Originally posted by uncledave View Post
                                My feeling, after 25 years that span the Powers/Fridgen/Appert years, is that the commitment to national-contender-quality hockey at the HIGHEST ADMINISTRATIVE LEVELS is NOT present. Instead, in a parity-soaked atmosphere where 1 player CAN make a difference, RPI fans get ticket price increases, multi-million dollar mansions for the president,"marketing" representatives and other lip service while the ESSENCE of the game, great players, go elsewhere (see: Josh Jooris). I wish that they would "get back there", but as I said, I don't see RPI even keeping up with what the others are doing. Appert becomes, at most, the third most important person in improving the "program".
                                When it comes to prices and whatnot, that isn't even controlled by the administration. Men's hockey is part of the Student Union budget. The only things the administration controls, in terms of money, are salaries and scholarships. Also, if HFH is still considered an auxiliary service (at least it was when I was there), you must also consider those costs. As for the administration, it's certainly questionable in terms of HFH (although it's nice to see the east end goal is no longer "that poor net", as Kurt put it), but even the investment into the training room has to give you some idea that they're investing in athletics in general.

Going back to something is the absolute worst idea possible. We cannot travel back, only go forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X