Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014-2015 Minnesota State University, Mankato Season Thread: Shipping up to Boston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014-2015 Minnesota State University, Mankato Season Thread: Shipping up to Bosto

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Well, that just sucked. They stink out the place on a night when they have record attendance. That will not convince those people that they need to come back on a regular basis. Not much of anything positive can be said.
    Unreal how far the program has come, though. A packed house for opening night, where it isn't due primarily to the visting team fans like many of the UND or UMN sellouts. The building was packed with Maverick fans, which was awesome to see. High expectations and the community fully behind this team, this could be a fun year.

The Mavs need to be more consistent. They looked very good for long stretches of the game, and then would lose their discipline and get caught running around, and having to kill penalties. They looked a little sluggish, but they can really move when it's clicking. Could be in a worse spot through four games, but they MUST sweep UAH.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Re: 2014-2015 Minnesota State University, Mankato Season Thread: Shipping up to Bosto

If they give away a couple of thousand tickets every weekend like they did Saturday, they could break the season record too...

It was great to see but it would have been better to HEAR that many people. As was stated the team didn't do much for the people to get behind. I still hope some day the student section (which was also full) gives the team and the crowd some energy. It has been too many years since they really had a rowdy group.
      Last edited by crossjcek; 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
        If they give away a couple of thousand tickets every weekend like they did Saturday, they could break the season record too...

It was great to see but it would have been better to HEAR that many people. As was stated the team didn't do much for the people to get behind. I still hope some day the student section (which was also full) gives the team and the crowd some energy. It has been too many years since they really had a rowdy group.
        They gave away 2000 tickets..? I didn't hear that..
        AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          They gave away 2000 tickets..? I didn't hear that..
          If they did, it was a bad business decision, because they ended up turning people away (People who would have paid) on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            If they did, it was a bad business decision, because they ended up turning people away (People who would have paid) on Saturday night.
            I'm fairly certain they didn't get seats away. (Outside of the student allotment, of course.)
            AF 99

Comment

I didn't hear anything about free tickets being given out.
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

So, without tickets being given out, Mankato sold the place out with a record crowd. That is awesome, and something that hopefully the Mavericks can really build off of.
                AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                  Well, that just sucked. They stink out the place on a night when they have record attendance. That will not convince those people that they need to come back on a regular basis. Not much of anything positive can be said.
                  I didn't see the game. But I did see enough of this year's Bulldog team to know how they can make other teams stink.

Overall, it sounds like a competitive series and neither teams rankings moved as a result. Minnesota should be a great place to watch hockey this year.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    I didn't see the game. But I did see enough of this year's Bulldog team to know how they can make other teams stink.

Overall, it sounds like a competitive series and neither teams rankings moved as a result. Minnesota should be a great place to watch hockey this year.
                    BSU is the worst team in the state and they're not that bad, either. I agree. Lots of good college hockey in MN this year.
                    AF 99

Comment

It's just too bad the VWC only planned on concessions for the normal 3000 that showed up. They could use the extra revenue because I don't think that video board is going to make it to the end of the season.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                        It's just too bad the VWC only planned on concessions for the normal 3000 that showed up. They could use the extra revenue because I don't think that video board is going to make it to the end of the season.
                        I went to the road games, and then to the VWC on Saturday, and the away trips only served to make our video board look that much worse by comparison. The Broadmoor video introduction deserved a big, hi-def screen in the middle of the ice, that all fans could appreciate. I understand the financial aspects of college hockey and that the payback on a new board is not easy to show, but the one we have makes us look like a second-class program.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          The Broadmoor video introduction deserved a big, hi-def screen in the middle of the ice, that all fans could appreciate.
                          Agreed. They ran that video about 90 minutes before the start of the game and all the MSU players gathered around while stretching/warming up and thought it was really cool. When they ran it right before the team came out, I'm not sure that anybody in the arena even noticed because that video board is such an afterthought.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            Agreed. They ran that video about 90 minutes before the start of the game and all the MSU players gathered around while stretching/warming up and thought it was really cool. When they ran it right before the team came out, I'm not sure that anybody in the arena even noticed because that video board is such an afterthought.
                            I struggled to see much of the video at all due to the board being so ****ing small.
                            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                              I struggled to see much of the video at all due to the board being so ****ing small.
                              I'm in section 219, so the angle is such that it's hard to see anything on it.
                              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

I thought the board was going to go out during the game and thought, oh no, no more 8 bit graphics after we score.

As far as the tickets given out... 2000 was just a number I threw out. exaggerated for sure but they gave the sponsor businesses stacks of coupons/vouchers to give out and there was a stack at the pre marathon festivities on Saturday. The local radio stations also gave away tickets all week, quite a few of them. I am sure the numbers are tallied somewhere but they aren't going to publish them for the paying fans to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X