Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014-2015 Minnesota State University, Mankato Season Thread: Shipping up to Boston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014-2015 Minnesota State University, Mankato Season Thread: Shipping up to Bosto

Most people think Duluth is a cool place to visit. Emphasis on cool....

And it sounds like some Purple Mav fans are taking Outside magazine's advice:

"Duluth, MN, took down Provo, UT, Sunday night to earn the title of Outside's Best Town 2014. We'll be following up with coverage of both towns in print and online this September, so look out for our Best Towns special—and maybe start planning a trip to Duluth."

Great Lake>Mountains, I guess. My eldest son, born and raised in Duluth, disagrees and moved to Montana for the skiing.

Hockey talk: I think McNeely earned the Friday night start vs. Purple Mavs with his shutout of Domers.
    tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Re: 2014-2015 Minnesota State University, Mankato Season Thread: Shipping up to Bosto

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
      Most people think Duluth is a cool place to visit. Emphasis on cool....

And it sounds like some Purple Mav fans are taking Outside magazine's advice:

"Duluth, MN, took down Provo, UT, Sunday night to earn the title of Outside's Best Town 2014. We'll be following up with coverage of both towns in print and online this September, so look out for our Best Towns special—and maybe start planning a trip to Duluth."

Great Lake>Mountains, I guess. My eldest son, born and raised in Duluth, disagrees and moved to Montana for the skiing.

Hockey talk: I think McNeely earned the Friday night start vs. Purple Mavs with his shutout of Domers.
      If he plays that well each start...start him every game!
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I was in South Bend last weekend. And UMD is good, esp Toninato and Iafallo. They made a comeback look easy against the Gophers and almost completed it...and dominated the Notre Dame game.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Hearing Knowles has a shot, but they're going to err on the side of caution, so while yesterday was a big practice day for him, I'd guess he's still out for the weekend.
          AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

This series intrigues me..I do believe UMD will be better than UNO, and as was stated earlier, UMD buried Notre Dame with their PP. This could be a very up and down, fast series; that should be fun to watch.
            AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
              This series intrigues me..I do believe UMD will be better than UNO, and as was stated earlier, UMD buried Notre Dame with their PP. This could be a very up and down, fast series; that should be fun to watch.
              Any thoughts on who "faster" benefits? I like our forward speed, but much less on the D side. If it turns into firewagon hockey, that might benefit UMD and some of their smaller, skilled guys like Farley and Osterberg. That pace also puts heat on the goalie, and I don't know if the Huggins/Williams thing last weekend was a one-off or not. Willy did at least look like he found his mojo again, and made some confident plays, but...And as much as I liked what Huggins did last year, when he struggled a little last week, I started flashing back to last fall and the words "sophomore slump."

Agree completely on UMD vs. UNO. UNO's young talent could make them a strong team by year-end, but right now, UMD is the better team.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                Any thoughts on who "faster" benefits? I like our forward speed, but much less on the D side. If it turns into firewagon hockey, that might benefit UMD and some of their smaller, skilled guys like Farley and Osterberg. That pace also puts heat on the goalie, and I don't know if the Huggins/Williams thing last weekend was a one-off or not. Willy did at least look like he found his mojo again, and made some confident plays, but...And as much as I liked what Huggins did last year, when he struggled a little last week, I started flashing back to last fall and the words "sophomore slump."

Agree completely on UMD vs. UNO. UNO's young talent could make them a strong team by year-end, but right now, UMD is the better team.
                I think run and gun hockey favors whoever gets better goaltending. The Mavericks are deeper up front and would thrive with a quick transition game. That being said, defensively they have to prove to be more fundamentally sound. I think Flanagan and Palmquist are both good on the rush, and Foguth will take a few chances to get into the play from time to time.
                AF 99

Comment

Knowles is out once again.
                  AF 99

Comment

Well, coughing up a three-goal lead made it more exciting than necessary, but it's a good win over a good team. Now for game two in Mankato!
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Reffing sucked. But so did our play. We gotta stop taking so many stupid penalties, especially ones that kill our power plays. McNeely started off rough and didnt play as well as he did in the previous game. Kas will get the start tomorrow in Mankato. I'm exciting to see the game there.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        Reffing sucked. But so did our play. We gotta stop taking so many stupid penalties, especially ones that kill our power plays. McNeely started off rough and didnt play as well as he did in the previous game. Kas will get the start tomorrow in Mankato. I'm exciting to see the game there.
                        And I'd imagine Huggins will start for the Mavs, but I could be wrong. See you there!
                        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                          And I'd imagine Huggins will start for the Mavs, but I could be wrong. See you there!
                          Could be Huggins, to try to get him some confidence back, and because it's non-conference, though I thought Willy was pretty good. But the communication with him and the D men on pucks behind the net was terrible. Cost us the first goal and gave UMD several other chances.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                            Yes indeed. Goalie rotations for both teams. I'm debating if I should bring my cowbell or not...haha
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

Sandelin's quote in USCHO recap: " You gotta battle, and I thought we didn’t have enough of guys doing that tonight." That means most if not all of UMD's Friday night scratches will play Saturday night. Attended Friday night game and not alot of 5 on 5 hockey due to showcase refs. Dive by Palmquist in OT has got to be called if you take the Krause hook. I watched replay and Palmquist clearly did the stick grab/pole vault dive move seen by myself as a ref many times. Somehow, Ian Croft (newbie) thought that was a good call or maybe Baby Shepherd made the call...

Actually, neither team play particularly well, MSU jumped up 4-1 on some decent play, but 2 of those goals were soft. UMD played decent late second and third periods to rally to tie the game. MSU goaltending was better than UMD, but to dish out a PP in OT on that dive....
                              tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Well, that just sucked. They stink out the place on a night when they have record attendance. That will not convince those people that they need to come back on a regular basis. Not much of anything positive can be said.

Comment

Working...
                                X