Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2014-15

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Don't sell Robert Morris short. They may be an Atlantic Hockey team but they did make the NCAA Tournament this past Spring and they return most of their better players from that team. Sure I would have liked to see at least a split but it didn't happen. We had a decent amount of scoring chances but too many posts/crossbars, too many shots just wide, too many over the net or into the goalie, and their goalies didn't give up any soft goals.

There are going to be a lot of bumps along the learning curve this season. We have a completely new set of coaches who weren't even able to spend much on ice practice time with the players until last week. They have to get familiar with the players just as the players do with them. Whitten also wants the Lakers to play a different style of play than they are use to and there is still the matter of getting them in condition (probably more stamina than strength although no doubt some of both) to play that style. Part of that goal may not be met until Whitten is able to recruit more of his own players in the coming seasons (particularly forwards). The coaches will likely keep trying some different line combinations until they are more familiar with what each of the players can do.

Obviously the big thing that needs to happen is score more goals to take some of the pressure off all the freshmen D and goalies. Three of our top of four scorers from last season are gone. The only guy back who scored at least 10 goals last season is Globke. We need to get Globke and Perfetto scoring goals and we need other returning forwards step up their game. Patterson sounds pretty good for a freshmen and hopefully will also start scoring some goals soon.

Bottom line is I think we're going to have to be patient with this team.
    We needed a coaching change for the programs sake and I think things will get better than they currently are under Coach Whitten. The staff seems to be working hard but enough of the clichess Bill. What you just said is bascially,

Our opponents are better....we are out of shape....we don't know what we're doing "yet"...our new players aren't good enough.....our best players aren't playing up to their capabilities.....we might have to wait until new players arrive.

and someone actually thought this was the "Post of the season thus far".

Thanks for the spin. We are all hopeful too but if you don't mind another opinion, I think most people realize we have an inexperienced staff that will be learning on the job as well. At least this is what I feel and others that I know. This is Coach Whitten's first attempt at this. When he get's up to par so will the team. And I'm confident in time he will. He seems to be hard working and committed to improving us.
    We don't need new players, we need experience, with both the coaches and players. Our returning strength is our forwards, so let's start by seeing some offense.

We do agree that we need to be patient for all parties to mature.

Comment

All that to just agree with him.

So did you get back into buying season tickets? I ask because you were in limbo the last few posts I remember after Damon was hired.

I agree with both of you, the team will get better in time with coach Whitten.
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
        I'm pretty much done with you. You couldn't be more wrong about my intentions. You are a bully!
        You and Midge will have red bars soon.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by DM2SM View Post
          We needed a coaching change for the programs sake and I think things will get better than they currently are under Coach Whitten. The staff seems to be working hard but enough of the clichess Bill. What you just said is bascially,

Our opponents are better....we are out of shape....we don't know what we're doing "yet"...our new players aren't good enough.....our best players aren't playing up to their capabilities.....we might have to wait until new players arrive.

and someone actually thought this was the "Post of the season thus far".

Thanks for the spin. We are all hopeful too but if you don't mind another opinion, I think most people realize we have an inexperienced staff that will be learning on the job as well. At least this is what I feel and others that I know. This is Coach Whitten's first attempt at this. When he get's up to par so will the team. And I'm confident in time he will. He seems to be hard working and committed to improving us.
          We don't need new players, we need experience, with both the coaches and players. Our returning strength is our forwards, so let's start by seeing some offense.

We do agree that we need to be patient for all parties to mature.
          While most Laker fans realize we need to be patient, I'm not so sure that some will be. The purpose of my post was just to emphasize to all that patience is needed; I suspect some will not be, but felt it needed to be said anyway.

Your other points about what I said are exaggerations for the most part. In particular, given that our new players are almost all D and goalies, I certainly said nothing about them not being good enough. I'm actually quite happy with our new players. But our biggest problem now is lack of scoring and you can't expect your D to provide most of that.

Comment

I think a lot of laker fans have been patient since 1997 and now that patience is running thin . The team is in a rebuilding program now and just seems no matter who has been the coach from Borek to Roque, the rebuilding never seems to bear much fruit for the fans . Scoring has been an issue for 16 years at least and this season scoring is already off to a poor start . Theses guys are 20 years plus in age and scoring just doesn't seem to be part of their talent .

Comment

Beginning with this evening's show, podcasts of the Laker Hockey Show are now available at the YES FM website. Just click on the Laker Hockey tab and then scroll down to the bottom for the podcast link.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                I think a lot of laker fans have been patient since 1997 and now that patience is running thin . The team is in a rebuilding program now and just seems no matter who has been the coach from Borek to Roque, the rebuilding never seems to bear much fruit for the fans . Scoring has been an issue for 16 years at least and this season scoring is already off to a poor start . Theses guys are 20 years plus in age and scoring just doesn't seem to be part of their talent .
                Agreed. Scoring continues to be a buggaboo.

Comment

Both laker games on NBCSP sports this weekend.

Comment

We are heading down for the games.
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014-15

New 98 born recruit for the Lakers...was ranked #40 in the top 70 uncommitted prospects by OTB...http://overtheboards.net/select-70-u...-october-2014/

I am entirely impressed by the job Whitten and crew are doing in recruiting players to LSSU....I do not think we realize the impact the recent committed recruits will have on the program...if they all make it to campus and play as expected (and expectations are high because the Lakers haven't recruited this type of talent since the Jackson era) we'll all be laughing and saying "remember when we use to think Roque was a good recruiter!"

Comment

• Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                        New 98 born recruit for the Lakers...was ranked #40 in the top 70 uncommitted prospects by OTB...http://overtheboards.net/select-70-u...-october-2014/

I am entirely impressed by the job Whitten and crew are doing in recruiting players to LSSU....I do not think we realize the impact the recent committed recruits will have on the program...if they all make it to campus and play as expected (and expectations are high because the Lakers haven't recruited this type of talent since the Jackson era) we'll all be laughing and saying "remember when we use to think Roque was a good recruiter!"
                        Agreed.

Teammate of fellow recruit Jaden Anderson.

Roque and staff, with very few exceptions, had very little success going after kids under 19, to the extent that I wonder how hard they even tried.

Comment

Agreed.

The kind of players that are lined up from this staff either were not even approached bye or didn't listen to the prior coach. The future of LSSU Hockey seems very bright.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

I hope you are right. I guess that the only good thing is that we will not be missing much at home. So hopefully next year we will have more home games.
                            http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/z/zorro1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Yooper_by_choice View Post
                              I hope you are right. I guess that the only good thing is that we will not be missing much at home. So hopefully next year we will have more home games.
                              probably two more

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                                Agreed.

The kind of players that are lined up from this staff either were not even approached bye or didn't listen to the prior coach. The future of LSSU Hockey seems very bright.
                                Ahhhh...you were on the recruiting trail, right? You know who was and wasn't approached.

Comment

Working...
                                X