Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
    Embarrassing for sure. Dang near disheartening.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that the regular season game in MHT is part of the deal for hosting NCAA regionals. *shrug* If that is true, it doesn't seem likely that will do anything to help UNH this season... Even worse, it seems there's potential for a big hit to athletic department dollars. (Any confirmation or refutation of my understanding welcome.)
    Marty has said in the past that they play in Manchester to show the NCAA that they can draw there, if there is any sort of contractual hook it's probably with the building management, maybe they are offered a cheaper rate if they tie in a regular season booking too. The NCAA doesn't require any of the other hosts to play a regular season game at their site. QPac did play UConn in Bridgeport this season, but Yale and Fairfield co-hosted the last regional there and it's not on the schedule again through 2017.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      Thanks for keeping it upbeat and positive. I'll filter so I don't project Freshman phenom expectations on Blackburn as I did with Kelleher and Eiserman. Tyler played well last night, trying hard to make something happen most times he had the puck and it was nice seeing Eiserman on ice and producing.

I recall Jack Parker saying he planned to retire after the Terriers most recent national championship, but decided to stay another year so he didn't leave right in the middle of the scandal.
      If you have some spare time, I encourage you and other UNH fans to watch some of the recruits play and judge for yourself what their potential is. Liam Blackburn, Marcus Vela, Brendan van Riemsdyk and any other recruit playing in the USHL, BCHL, or USPHL can be viewed on fasthockey. BvR, Charlie Kelleher, and those who play in the USPHL play many of their games not too far from Southern New Hampshire. Recruits who play in the New England Prep School league (e.g. Eric Esposito, Mike Robinson, Liam Darcy) play in arenas not far from Durham.

I've tried to present information about the UNH recruits beyond their raw statistics so that you all can get a better sense of who they are and what their strengths and weaknesses are. Data bases, by themselves, have limited utility. Checking these guys out for yourself is a far better way to evaluate UNH's recruiting successes and misses than reading the occasional post on the USCHO fan forum.

As far as Liam Blackburn's "phenom" potential goes, I've watched him play online in 4-5 games. From what I can tell from this two-dimensional format, he is a little bit faster skater than Grayson Downing with a comparable nose for the net and play-making ability. He's not beefy in the way Shane Eiserman is. Muscle mass is something that can be acquired if he is willing to put in the work. He has said that an additional year in juniors, beyond this year, would help him grow phyisically. I'd say he could do that just as easily in Durham as in British Columbia.

I'd add that my ability to predict the future impact of a recruit ain't any better than any of you. For example, though I thought Andrew Poturalski would make an impact later this season as he got used to college play, I have been surprised at how mature and impactful he has been since the beginning of the season. Conversely, I thought Shane Eiserman would be generating quality shots on goal from Day 1 and it has surprised me that he has not been in some games and usually toils on the fourth line. Similarly, I thought Dylan Chanter would be a physical, steady defender very early in the season and be a mainstay by season's end. He only started playing regularly in the BC series last weekend. I don't feel so bad though - even real hockey recruiters are correct some but not all the time.
      Last edited by C-H-C; 12-13-2014, 12:52 PM.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        If the Verizon W has lost it's loving feeling then dump the thing. I personally like getting out of dodge to be honest for a game or two...it's a shorter ride, too for us. For those of you who have been around a lot, have we ever even come close to selling out the Verizon, even for Regionals?
        Regular Season
        12-13-01 UNH 6 Dartmouth 3 Attendance: 10,053
        1-15-03 UNH 1 Dartmouth 1 Attendance: 10,104
        2-1-03 UNH 4 Maine 2 Attendance: 10,104
        11-12-03 UNH 2 BC 2 Attendance: 10,104
        1-13-04 UNH 5 Dartmouth 0 Attendance: 10,104
        11-5-04 UNH 4 BU 3 Attendance: 9,075
        1-12-05 Dartmouth 9 UNH 8 Attendance: 9,405
        11-1-05 BC 3 UNH 2 Attendance: 8,411
        1-14-06 UNH 5 Dartmouth 4 Attendance: 7,018
        1-13-07 UNH 4 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 9,640
        2-2-07 Maine 4 UNH 2 Attendance: 10,104
        1-19-08 Dartmouth 5 UNH 3 Attendance: 8,654
        1-17-09 UNH 6 Dartmouth 4 Attendance: 8,001
        2-7-09 Maine 1 UNH 0 Attendance: 8,811
        1-16-10 UNH 5 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 7,573
        1-15-11 Dartmouth 5 UNH 4 Attendance: 7,704
        1-14-12 UNH 4 Dartmouth 1 Attendance: 5,301
        1-26-13 UNH 6 Merrimack 2 Attendance: 6,605
        1-11-14 UNH 4 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 4,006
        12-12-14 Maine 5 UNH 2 Attendance: 5,028

Regionals
        3-27-04 Michigan 4 UNH 1 Attendance: 10,104
        3-24-07 Miami 2 UNH 1 Attendance: 9,015
        3-28-09 UNH 6 North Dakota 5 Attendance: 6,883
        3-29-09 BU 2 UNH 1 Attendance: 7,863
        3-26-11 UNH 3 Miami 1 Attendance: 7,608
        3-27-11 Notre Dame 2 UNH 1 Attendance: 5,906
        3-29-13 UNH 5 Denver 2 Attendance: 8,049
        3-30-13 UMass-Lowell 2 UNH 0 Attendance: 8,357

For the first day of regionals they count the two games attendances together, so Lowell being present bumped the numbers vs Denver in 2013 as they also drew a good crowd.
        Last edited by ClOuD 9; 12-13-2014, 01:09 PM.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Well hasn't it been an interesting morning/ afternoon on this board. Again the perspectives from all contribute to the learning curve of the newbie ice hockey enthusiast. (that would be me but it is coming along) That being said..here's something to ask...why/how does a school like BU, get a player like Eichel? Simple answers will do. Here's the fun question: can UNH 'attract' a player of that caliber? Have at it. Oh Darius, I totally agree it's at the 'Whitt. Love going there and there is something to be said about that experience. Keeps me coming back, 'tron or no 'tron.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
            I've been to many of the Verizon games and the biggest crowd I can remember was the first UNH-Maine game....over 10,000...a legit full house....but that was a dozen years ago and alot has changed since then
            That was a really fun night even though Maine lost. Tickets were really tough to get and I'm sure they could have sold many more than 10k if there was room. I think the second game there was close to being full as well. Times change I guess but it was pretty sad seeing the place so empty last night. UNH certainly isn't alone as far as having attendance issues.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              If you have some spare time, I encourage you and other UNH fans to watch some of the recruits play and judge for yourself what their potential is.
              Funny you mention that ... the last time I did this was when Eddie Caron was in his final year at PEA, and several of us from this board (well, boardies back then anyway, but that's another story) went to check out the phenom who by then was UNH-bound. Kid looked like the real deal - I think he's already been drafted by Edmonton - and then ... well, most of you know how that turned out. What I took out of the experience was, you never know what you're getting. There are WAY too many variables. From that point forward, I decided I'd leave the recruiting narrative and insight to others, and form my own opinions once they arrived in Durham. BTW that's not a shot at C-H-C or anyone else who writes on the recruiting front. It's nice to have an idea what's coming, and I do read it and take it on board, but beyond that, I can't pretend to have any insight into how they'll perform once they get here.

Last night was abysmal. UNH used to get ribbed with the "University of No Hardware" thing, but now they are opening themselves up to the whole "University of No Heart" issue. Really just plain embarassing, and I'm glad Coach Umile said that in the post-game.

As far as the future ... when I did come back and express concerns about the UNH program dipping, and perhaps following the same downsliding pattern that Coach Holt's teams experienced in the mid-'80's, that was my concern then, and I hoped Coach Umile would take steps to avoid following the same pattern at the tail end of his career. I'll give him credit for what the team achieved in bits and pieces of the last two seasons, but after some promising early play this season, the performances are trending in a scary direction in recent weeks. And if the team plays with the same lack of intensity and focus as they've done over the last couple of weekends going forward, the idea of some late-season uptick is going to prove to be a fantasy. And let's face it folks ... if there's anything we all know from the years Coach Umile has been in charge, it's that rarely do his teams perform better after the break than before the break.

Hopefully the boys will not cause further embarassment to the program or themselves tonight in Portland, but I'm honestly really starting to worry about what the rest of this season might look like. A team with marginal and/or developing talent cannot afford to be lackadaisical in their application. Yes, I understand the Yugo vs. Audi scenario, but there has to be a baseline of effort and of personal accountability for same from ALL players who wear the jersey, and if that's not out there, this "rebuild" will never get the foothold they are going to need to get things moving back in the right direction.

There's a reason why strong programs usually stay strong, and also-ran programs struggle to move up to the next level. Right now UNH is wavering on the precipice - not as strong as in the past, but still a HE Finalist last season, and borderline winning records until this year - so that's why this season AND next should be pivotal in what the medium range future in Durham is going to look like.

Coach Umile has earned the right to try to turn this around, but he seemed genuinely p.o.'ed after last night's *performance* and I have to wonder how much more of this he is willing to take before he decides he's done enough. I give him no better than a 50% chance of being the head coach come the start of the 2016 season. JMHO.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

... except for this year's freshmen class, the future recruits (except for Blackburn & Masonius) seem to be less than impact players.
                If you get a chance, check out Marcus Vela either in the WJAC tournament (the games will be streamed live - for free, I think) and/or in future Langley Rivermen games. I'd be interested in your take on his current abilities and where he might fit in at UNH. From the games I've seen, he's an atypical - in a good way - UNH player in that he is a mobile, power, right-shot forward who goes strong to the net and has a good to very good shot - sort of like the Hemingways, Sislo, and Thompson.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Coach Umile ...seemed genuinely p.o.'ed after last night's *performance* and I have to wonder how much more of this he is willing to take before he decides he's done enough. I give him no better than a 50% chance of being the head coach come the start of the 2016 season. JMHO.
                  I agree completely.

Comment

Excellent post Chuck as usual. Gotta say that the day the team has no heart is the day I will not follow them. That is not ok by me. Be young, have stuff to figure out but play with no heart? Nope. I know you have coached as have I in the past and heart is sometimes all you have. My last year as a Varsity FH coach my team, who had struggled throughout the season actually asked me if they "had to" go to the tournament. Being the fierce competitor I was at the time I pulled them together and point blank said that anyone who didn't want to go could turn in their jerseys right here and now. Was more than willing to pull up JV kids who would be happy to go. Needless to say I got no takers and we went on to lose in the last minute of play to the eventual State Champ. That day they played with heart and learned something valuable. Me? I knew my decision to give up coaching that season as we were starting a fam was the right one..

Kids are different today plain and simple. Heard Coach U say the newbies were "better listeners" . I hope that when he does retire it's not under circumstances where he loses the joy ( if that's an appropriate term for him I do not know him) in what he does. We shall see how the team responds not only tonight but in the coming 3 months, yugo or not.
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-13-2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Oh man am desperately trying to watch this as we read about it on twitter last night at dinner/après the hockey game. If you can get a link/you tube on it will you kindly post it e.cat? Merci.
                      They will post the highlights on YouTube and you can see the play. I tried to find a link from ESPN with no luck.
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                        If you get a chance, check out Marcus Vela either in the WJAC tournament (the games will be streamed live - for free, I think) and/or in future Langley Rivermen games. I'd be interested in your take on his current abilities and where he might fit in at UNH. From the games I've seen, he's an atypical - in a good way - UNH player in that he is a mobile, power, right-shot forward who goes strong to the net and has a good to very good shot - sort of like the Hemingways, Sislo, and Thompson.
                        Please let us know when that is would love to watch!

Comment

I haven't seen Vela much, but worry about his sniping ability, seeing his 4 goals this year. Overall, the 6'1 power forwards don't translate as well to the NCAA game as smaller players.

On Blackburn, I have seen him a lot more. I don't see his speed as special, and his puck skills are not overwhelming. However, the puck seems to follow him, and he sticks his nose into the corners and in front of the net, and through that manages to create a lot of loose pucks and opportunities for his linemates. I guess that's called the thinking game, knowing where to distribute the puck more than wowing with any particular move/pass.

Although I have commented on the offensive recruits, my bigger worry in seeing the past games is the lack of puck skills on the D. Cleland (who I would have thought had some) and Maller have not shown much, and Chanter was never advertised as having such skills. Marks has not handled the puck much, either. Furgele has pleased me with his skills, which I didn't expect. I see very little D to D breakout help, so I am not surprised with the weaker offense, given the positions in which the forwards get the pucks.
                          Masonius has decent puck skills (going off the U17 tourney I saw last year), so he should help. The speed of that tourney was pretty fast, and he of course played third fiddle to Hanafin Werenski so would look weaker on that. Didn't over handle the puck, and fumbled a couple, so I'll be interested to see his breakout skills. Doesn't sound like the natural QB, but like Pesce can fill that. Ryczek seems to be wasting a year in the USHL playing as the 6/7th defenseman with little ice time -- like Aaron O'Neil the year before. Why do teams send their 16 year olds out there to dumb down their games and lose their skills/creativity? I'm all for getting them into the a league they can dominate. A lot like McNicholas leaving the USHL and growing his game in the BCHL.
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 12-13-2014, 01:37 PM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            They will post the highlights on YouTube and you can see the play. I tried to find a link from ESPN with no luck.
                            Hubby found it wow awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Funny you mention that ... the last time I did this was when Eddie Caron was in his final year at PEA, and several of us from this board (well, boardies back then anyway, but that's another story) went to check out the phenom who by then was UNH-bound. Kid looked like the real deal - I think he's already been drafted by Edmonton - and then ... well, most of you know how that turned out. What I took out of the experience was, you never know what you're getting. There are WAY too many variables. From that point forward, I decided I'd leave the recruiting narrative and insight to others, and form my own opinions once they arrived in Durham. BTW that's not a shot at C-H-C or anyone else who writes on the recruiting front. It's nice to have an idea what's coming, and I do read it and take it on board, but beyond that, I can't pretend to have any insight into how they'll perform once they get here.

Last night was abysmal. UNH used to get ribbed with the "University of No Hardware" thing, but now they are opening themselves up to the whole "University of No Heart" issue. Really just plain embarassing, and I'm glad Coach Umile said that in the post-game.

As far as the future ... when I did come back and express concerns about the UNH program dipping, and perhaps following the same downsliding pattern that Coach Holt's teams experienced in the mid-'80's, that was my concern then, and I hoped Coach Umile would take steps to avoid following the same pattern at the tail end of his career. I'll give him credit for what the team achieved in bits and pieces of the last two seasons, but after some promising early play this season, the performances are trending in a scary direction in recent weeks. And if the team plays with the same lack of intensity and focus as they've done over the last couple of weekends going forward, the idea of some late-season uptick is going to prove to be a fantasy. And let's face it folks ... if there's anything we all know from the years Coach Umile has been in charge, it's that rarely do his teams perform better after the break than before the break.

Hopefully the boys will not cause further embarassment to the program or themselves tonight in Portland, but I'm honestly really starting to worry about what the rest of this season might look like. A team with marginal and/or developing talent cannot afford to be lackadaisical in their application. Yes, I understand the Yugo vs. Audi scenario, but there has to be a baseline of effort and of personal accountability for same from ALL players who wear the jersey, and if that's not out there, this "rebuild" will never get the foothold they are going to need to get things moving back in the right direction.

There's a reason why strong programs usually stay strong, and also-ran programs struggle to move up to the next level. Right now UNH is wavering on the precipice - not as strong as in the past, but still a HE Finalist last season, and borderline winning records until this year - so that's why this season AND next should be pivotal in what the medium range future in Durham is going to look like.

Coach Umile has earned the right to try to turn this around, but he seemed genuinely p.o.'ed after last night's *performance* and I have to wonder how much more of this he is willing to take before he decides he's done enough. I give him no better than a 50% chance of being the head coach come the start of the 2016 season. JMHO.
                              Agreed Chuck. The candle is flickering at this point. I'm sure Umile has wanted to go out on top but that looks like a pipe dream now. The thing that baffles me is that the team apparently is not responding to Umile. That is not a good sign at all. They are beating to a different drummer and the drummer is not Umile.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Please let us know when that is would love to watch!
                                Here's the link to the World Junior A Challenge website - it shows the schedule and a link for watching each game live. Marcus Vela plays for Canada West.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/schedul...bseason=176603

Comment

Working...
                                X