Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Charlie Holt's last NCAA team was 82-83, at age 61 (There were only 8 NCAA spots at the time.)
    the next three years his teams cratered, becoming a cycle of unexpected early departures (Lyons, White, Lacombe) and freshmen who struggled to establish program stability. He retired at age 64.

1981–82 New Hampshire 22-14-0 15-7-0 3rd NCAA Consolation Game (Loss)
    1982–83 New Hampshire 22-11-2 15-5-1 3rd NCAA Quarterfinals
    1983–84 New Hampshire 20-17-1 13-8-0 2nd ECAC Quarterfinals
    1984–85 New Hampshire 16-26-1 12-21-1 4th Hockey East Quarterfinals
    1985–86 New Hampshire 5-29-3 5-27-2 7th Hockey East Quarterfinals

On a completely unrelated note, HAPPY 66th BIRTHDAY next week, Dick Umile
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      FWIW the Union Leader reports attendance at last nights hockey game at 5024...
      Subtract all the season ticket holders (including my two) who don't go to the Manchester games .... and other advanced "free" ticket holders who don't show up and I am told the Verizon was 1/3 full.

Comment

The DeSmith matter came to a public crescendo this week with the publication of the article in The New Hampshire. Last night in Manchester, his teammates/classmates for the last 3-4 years had an opportunity to make a statement on the ice that they have put it behind them. All of the juniors and seniors - with the exception of Jamie Hill, Jamie Regan, Ryan Randall, and Brett Pesce (injured) - were dressed and in the game.

As an obviously angry Coach Umile succinctly put it in the press conference after the game - "You can't even think about winning a hockey game when you only play one period and we only played one period...it was the only time we competed." Prior to last night's game, he had gone out of his way to highlight how the team continued to compete hard even when they lost.

Senior captain Matt Willows - who's name surfaced for the first time this week in relation to the DeSmith deliberations - competed very hard last night (as I would expect). He was the exception.

Hallmarks of the successful teams in Coach Umile's era have included the senior class leading (and scoring) and a few juniors having breakout seasons. So far, this has not happened this season,
        Last edited by C-H-C; 12-13-2014, 08:01 AM.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
          The DeSmith matter came to a public crescendo this week with the publication of the article in The New Hampshire. Last night in Manchester, his teammates/classmates for the last 3-4 years had an opportunity to make a statement on the ice that they have put it behind them. All of the juniors and seniors - with the exception of Jamie Hill, Jamie Regan, Ryan Randall, and Brett Pesce (injured) - were dressed and in the game.

As an obviously angry Coach Umile succinctly put it in the press conference after the game - "You can't even think about winning a hockey game when you only play one period and we only played one period...it was the only time we competed." Prior to last night's game, he had gone out of his way to highlight how the team continued to compete hard even when they lost.

Senior captain Matt Willows - who's name surfaced for the first time this week in relation to the DeSmith deliberations - competed very hard last night (as I would expect). He was the exception.
          Wouldn't it be nice to hear a head coach indicate that he had some responsibility for team losses?

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
            Wouldn't it be nice to hear a head coach indicate that he had some responsibility for team losses?
            It's possible that the coaches are coming to the realization that the juniors and seniors (with a few exceptions) are not living up to expectations. To be sure, penciling in the lineup is among the primary responsibilities of the coaches. Let's see what the lineup looks like when the remaining Hockey East games begin in mid-January.

Comment

Subtract all the season ticket holders (including my two) who don't go to the Manchester games .... and other advanced "free" ticket holders who don't show up and I am told the Verizon was 1/3 full.
              Well, it was reported that the FBall game had about the same number reported (over 5K). When I read these attendance numbers I'm sure it's inflated (including the football game). If the Verizon W has lost it's loving feeling then dump the thing. I personally like getting out of dodge to be honest for a game or two...it's a shorter ride, too for us. For those of you who have been around a lot, have we ever even come close to selling out the Verizon, even for Regionals?
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                It's possible that the coaches are coming to the realization that the juniors and seniors (with a few exceptions) are not living up to expectations. To be sure, penciling in the lineup is among the primary responsibilities of the coaches. Let's see what the lineup looks like when the remaining Hockey East games begin in mid-January.
                We all pretty much agree that the future of this team lies largely in the laps of our Frosh class (not to beat that to death anymore) but right now it's almost like a crap shoot who they put in night after night. (With some noted exceptions I won't get into here) Both sides of the coin, play the Frosh, play the upperclassmen? You see more and more of the Frosh out there and it's no surprise that the goal is to get those kids D1 experience. I agree they (coaches) will look to play as many as they can through tonight and when Pesce returns and we hit those HE games, things should be different line up wise IF the young continue to develop. Or, it's just one of those seasons...Just compete hard no matter who is on the ice and if you aren't competing, take a seat! I really, really expect to see more from a few of our veteran players...lead from the front please.
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-13-2014, 09:07 AM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

YES! When the landslide hit, I started paying more attention to what was happening on benches during timeouts... Seemed like Red had his kids' attention, engaged... Far too many times, the UNH bench seemed to be looking aimlessly at the ice while Umile stood back in his stance. My nephew (12) even remarked, "Shouldn't he be telling them what they should do?"

Comment

For those of you who have been around a lot, have we ever even come close to selling out the Verizon, even for Regionals?
                    I've been to many of the Verizon games and the biggest crowd I can remember was the first UNH-Maine game....over 10,000...a legit full house....but that was a dozen years ago and alot has changed since then
                    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
                      YES! When the landslide hit, I started paying more attention to what was happening on benches during timeouts... Seemed like Red had his kids' attention, engaged... Far too many times, the UNH bench seemed to be looking aimlessly at the ice while Umile stood back in his stance. My nephew (12) even remarked, "Shouldn't he be telling them what they should do?"
                      From where I sat, the problems in the 2nd and 3rd periods weren't a matter of X's and O's. Most UNH players were simply being beaten to loose pucks and not checking tenaciously. I imagine they got their arses chewed out in between periods and after the game.

Comment

My wife and I opted to stay home since both football and hockey were on TV. Another couple we know did the same thing. And two other couples, who have a total of 7 tickets between them, went to the football game. So that's 11 right there. The lower bowl seemed 2/3 empty at a least, the balcony seemed to be the same, so about 3,000 or so would seem right. Kind of belies the idea that UNH has to play in Manchester to show the NCAA that they are worthy of hosting the regionals. I really don't think the NCAA cares much about regular season games, all they know is that Manchester consistently has the highest attendance of any regional. Of course, that may all change this year what with UNH out and, barring a second half comeback, BC may be out too.

Speaking of the TV, who was that color guy with Eric Friede? He was beyond awful. Is this how far down they have to dig to find an a UNH "analyst." His favorite words seem to be "snakebitten" when I guy hit the post and "he's due to break out" to explain a season long slump. I felt for Eric, who is one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Verkligen View Post
                          Maine came to play and they weren't going to go down with yet another road loss. Noted the same you saw from the coaches stand point during time outs but like my husband is fond to say when we get into these kinds of discussions "hell the guy can't skate for them". Red G is a fiery coach, has been from day one. He's taking plenty of heat from some at the Maine board this past season on occasion. Quite the impressive coaching pedigree he has.. Funny a teacher at my school is from Berlin NH like Red and told me the other day that Red "hates to lose" and he makes that very clear to his team. I've even seen comments from the PC crowd that Leaman isn't delivering the goods when they lose a game. Fickle are we fans, eh? Today Gendron is the man, what happens tomorrow IF (sigh) UNH wins? From what I can see/have learned about Red G is he does indeed push those boys to perform as they did last night. Of course we didn't exactly make it difficult, mind you. Don't forget Maine gave UML and BU quite the fits, they have a veteran bunch as well like Hutton who played like a mad man last night. Didn't see their goal tending weakness last night (Maine board comments) or kids not playing hard last night. Not personally interested in getting into the fire the coach thing as I don't have that mindset and like many I've chosen to accept (dont' have to like) what is...
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-13-2014, 10:00 AM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

^^^^^^This!! This!!! This!!!^^^^^

I'm sorry folks...this team's issues start with the man standing behind the bench. The guy who's arms are crossed and is standing there scowling while his team is getting smoked. That will be my memory of Richie down the road when he's finally retired. I've seen it so many times over the years that I can't get upset about it anymore. It is what it is.

It sounds like from what posters have said, UNH floated another turd in the punchbowl last night in Manchester. It's a down year for the program, I get that. The thing that would have had me seeing red today had I shelled out cash to buy a ticket, driven over there and sat through the game, would be the lack of effort put out by the Cats. Am I wrong? As I say, I wasn't there, but it sounds like that was the story. If they play hard and lose, I have no problem there. Fold like a tent in a wind storm and play sloppy, lazy hockey, then good luck boys...you're on your own. As I say, I've seen that episode before.

Happily, there were 6380 UNH fans who showed up at Cowell Stadium last night. Still short of what should be a playoff crowd, but those who were there were loud and proud. Coach Mac's kids found a way to hang in that game, even though they were outplayed for most of three quarters. Thank you punter Brad Prasky!! UNH clearly won the kicking game. Prasky bailed out the Cats with one punt after another that had the Mocs deep in their own end. Now we wait to see who UNH will host next weekend. Note to NCAA...Saturday works with my schedule.
                            Last edited by skyraider0609; 12-13-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post

^^^^^^This!! This!!! This!!!^^^^^

I'm sorry folks...this team's issues start with the man standing behind the bench. The guy who's arms are crossed and is standing there scowling while his team is getting smoked. That will be my memory of Richie down the road when he's finally retired. I've seen it so many times over the years that I can't get upset about it anymore. It is what it is.

It sounds like from what posters have said, UNH floated another turd in the punchbowl last night in Manchester. It's a down year for the program, I get that. The thing that would have had me seeing red today had I shelled out cash to buy a ticket, driven over there and sat through the game, would be the lack of effort put out by the Cats. Am I wrong? As I say, I wasn't there, but it sounds like that was the story. If they play hard and lose, I have no problem there. Fold like a tent in a wind storm and play sloppy, lazy hockey, then good luck boys...you're on your own. As I say, I've seen that episode before.

Happily, there were 6380 UNH fans who showed up at Cowell Stadium last night. Still short of what should be a playoff crowd, but those who were there were loud and proud. Coach Mac's kids found a way to hang in that game, even though they were outplayed for most of three quarters. Thank you punter Brad Prasky!! UNH clearly won the kicking game. Prasky bailed out the Cats with one punt after another that had the Mocs deep in their own end. Now we wait to see who UNH will host next weekend. Note to NCAA...Saturday works with my schedule.

The C coach said they lost because of the kicking game. Prasky was huge for sure. Kudos also go out to the D. They stepped up big in the second half. Goldy played a very efficient game I thought. No turnovers by the Cats helped also. Looking forward to the next game. Saturday works for me too!
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Maine came to play and they weren't going to go down with yet another road loss. Noted the same you saw from the coaches stand point during time outs but like my husband is fond to say when we get into these kinds of discussions "hell the guy can't skate for them". Red G is a fiery coach, has been from day one. He's taking plenty of heat from some at the Maine board this past season on occasion. Quite the impressive coaching pedigree he has.. Funny a teacher at my school is from Berlin NH like Red and told me the other day that Red "hates to lose" and he makes that very clear to his team. I've even seen comments from the PC crowd that Leaman isn't delivering the goods when they lose a game. Fickle are we fans, eh? Today Gendron is the man, what happens tomorrow IF (sigh) UNH wins? From what I can see/have learned about Red G is he does indeed push those boys to perform as they did last night. Of course we didn't exactly make it difficult, mind you. Don't forget Maine gave UML and BU quite the fits, they have a veteran bunch as well like Hutton who played like a mad man last night. Didn't see their goal tending weakness last night (Maine board comments) or kids not playing hard last night. Not personally interested in getting into the fire the coach thing as I don't have that mindset and like many I've chosen to accept (dont' have to like) what is...
                                Leaman does the "OH SHUCKS we lost thing but I am happy with the effort out there when they are losing to Northeastern and Merrimack without showing any heart."
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X