Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    You keep saying this - but, while UML may have a larger freshman class they do not lean on their freshman NEARLY as much as UNH has had too this season. UML is deep with upper class contributors and a talented SO class. UNH has just two seniors (Downing & Willows) and one Junior (Pesce) who can play at the highest levels of Hockey East - Willows does so mainly through effort over true talent and Pesce is hurt. The sophomore class has two decent defensemen and Kelleher. That is all they have outside of the FR class. That's it!

In their last games - UNH skated 8 freshman, while UML skated just five. Aside from Smith for UML all of the other freshmen were on lower lines or pairs. Eiserman was apparently being 'coached' for whatever reason, but on a normal night he's in there for Bourque and its 9 for UNH.

Two teams in much more similar freshman dependent situations are Michigan (8-6) and Wisconsin (1-10-1) - both struggling, Wisconsin mightily.
    Dan thank you for putting this comparison into true perspective it is appreciated. Our core is truly limited that is for sure. Which is what bothers me the most when I read blog posts about the "sad state of UNH Hockey, lost forever blah blah blah. Sick of it as it's not realistic. We all know this that when you go to games and look at who's out there hell we are skating at any given time at least 3 to 4 inexperienced Frosh ( not to mention our GK) Geesh.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014/2015 - Wait 'Til Next Year!!!

Timely, if nothing else:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...ont-notre-dame
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
        Reverting to my habitual Debbie Downer mode... sure looked on TV that there were a hell of a lot of empty seats at the Whitt last night. Haven't been there in many years -- is this normal? Perhaps you guys are used to it, but to me it was almost embarrassing, especially for a game against an opponent as significant as BC.

Halfway through the third period of a one goal game, and some sections looked only about two thirds full. Is that because there are a higher percentage of non-student ticket holders nowadays?
        It's the new normal, but still relatively new (year two maybe). The reported average so far this season is 5,574 - however that is tickets sold and not actual attendance. It very much appears numbers are being fluffed as there were probably a thousand empty seats for the lone sellout vs Colorado College and the suggestion that there were 4,112 at the RPI game is quite literally unbelievable.
        Perhaps they got lucky having football at home on Friday, it gives them a ready made excuse when attendance flops vs Maine in Manchester, which it was seemingly going to do anyway. Every blue dot is a ticket that is still available, not seeing any available for the next night in Portland.
        Last edited by ClOuD 9; 12-10-2014, 04:10 PM.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          You keep saying this - but, while UML may have a larger freshman class they do not lean on their freshman NEARLY as much as UNH has had too this season. UML is deep with upper class contributors and a talented SO class. UNH has just two seniors (Downing & Willows) and one Junior (Pesce) who can play at the highest levels of Hockey East - Willows does so mainly through effort over true talent and Pesce is hurt. The sophomore class has two decent defensemen and Kelleher. That is all they have outside of the FR class. That's it!

In their last games - UNH skated 8 freshman, while UML skated just five. Aside from Smith for UML all of the other freshmen were on lower lines or pairs. Eiserman was apparently being 'coached' for whatever reason, but on a normal night he's in there for Bourque and its 9 for UNH.

Two teams in much more similar freshman dependent situations are Michigan (8-6) and Wisconsin (1-10-1) - both struggling, Wisconsin mightily.
          Good points Dan.
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Beat me to it, but I think that Greg does make a good point that UNH has not recruited many players who left early over the years, and even fewer who stuck in the NHL for longer than a cup of coffee. But, I do miss the days as recently as about a decade ago when UNH could skate three lines that each could score goals, with many players who were not big enough to have much chance for ever playing in the NHL. I get so sick of watching the dump and chase offense, which somehow seems to produce SOG, but only rarely good scoring chances.
            The problem, as has been discussed to death on this board - so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at what were seeing - is the horrible recruiting efforts that effected this program beginning with the debacle of losing Bourque, White, Reid, O'Neil and Laleggia along with the recruiting software miscue. UNH had to scramble to add fill ins for these recruits and they didn't come close to matching the talent they had lost.

UNH used to consistently skate two #1 lines, a young freshmen forward line and a hard-charging defensive third line. That has changed dramatically in the last few seasons as the talent has fallen off. I disagree with Greg - I think the team still skates well and has plenty of speed, but for a lot of the forwards that is all they have. Hands, stick-skills, shooting skills are what is missing!!

They replaced the lost talent with guys who can skate all over the ice, but can't handle the puck at top speed, guys who cannot handle the puck in tight spaces and guys who can't pick corners when shooting. Watch a lot of the upperclass kids play this weekend - they skate around, but they don't control the puck and their shots are blocked or into chests. Then watch the younger F's.

The one upperclassman who can do those things is Downing, but he'd be better suited playing a complimentary role on a #1 line (or at least he needs to play with other good players) to really be successful. When he played with Goumas for a few games as a sophomore they were dynamic! Instead, he's always been asked to carry a line and balance the scoring.

Willows hands are good enough, when combined with his bull in a china shop approach to the game, that he can produce. Kelleher was expected to be a prime scorer from day one - that has never been the UNH way and wasn't really fair given his stature. With added strength he's off to a great start this season. How many UNH freshman have burst onto the scene? Not many (Haydar & Collins). Saviano, Gare, Smith, the Hemingways, Radja, Thompson, Butler, Winnik - all pretty insignificant to modest FR contributions with BIG sequels.

We'll get the sequels from Kelleher and we'll get the sequels from this years FR - its just going to take some time. Poturalski, Foegele, Eiserman & McNicholas (Umile obviously loves his offense, if not his D) should all break 100 points easily. I'd expect Blackburn, Vela and VanReimsdyk to do the same. I hope all three come next year! These are the dynamic forwards we're used to. Players who can not only skate, but can score, handle the puck and make plays at tempo.

BTW - C-H-C - Blackburn is coming. If he signed his NLI (a one year document) it had to have been for 2015-16 and there's no reason to sign it unless they expect him to come.

It might not be next year - with Downing & Willows graduating and more kids on the way - but UNH is getting back on track. The SBN rankings are garbage - just like they did with this year's freshman they severly underrate next year's recruiting class. Especially, if it goes the way I hope in terms of who arrives. Fortunately, none of that matters. When this year's freshman are juniors, at the latest, UNH will once again be a part of the top tier in Hockey East. So enjoy the ride and appreciate that this young team has been in games (their last 5 loses - 7 of 9 - have been by essentially one goal (1 ENG)). Those are the games young teams lose and experienced teams win.

Now just don't screw up the recruiting...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

The SBN rankings are garbage - just like they did with this year's freshman they severly underrate next year's recruiting class. Especially, if it goes the way I hope in terms of who arrives.
              Of course, if UNH ends up bringing in all the older forwards just because they're older SBN might be right on...
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                For two years before he came, all I heard was sterling reports on Kelleher. His performance to date has been, to be kind, underwhelming.

And forgot about Filipowicz, Smith, and Winnik. That makes six in Umile's 25 years of coaching. Not exactly an avalanche of defections. The problem is not players leaving early, the problem is that too many of our four year players are not difference makers, either offensively or defensively. It all comes back to the recruiting. I told people last spring that this incoming class and the one next year are the make a break ones for me. I am tired of hearing about this guy or that guy who is doing wondrous things in juniors, then they get to UNH and do not live up to the hype. Got more than a few upperclassmen who fit that bill right now.
                That further points to the coaching staff. Last time I checked the coaches are in charge of the recruiting process which also includes managing defections and making sure the team doesn't have to lean on freshman so much. The current roster has four seniors that skate regularly (Randall GP=5). That's not going to cut it and that falls on coaches/recruiters does it not?
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                  For two years before he came, all I heard was sterling reports on Kelleher. His performance to date has been, to be kind, underwhelming.
                  Did Saviano underwhelm you when he scored 2 points as a FR? Did Colin Hemingway? Brett Hemingway? Preston Callandar? Bobby Butler? Paul Thompson? A handful of UNH freshman have finished the season in the 20 point range, but none outside of Mowers, Haydar & Collins have really blown the doors off. That's been fine because none have had too. Kelleher and this year's freshman may seem underwhelming, but only because of the expectations and responsibility they were saddled with. Kelleher had 16 points last year (at a buck-fifty soaking wet) and could be on his way to 30+ this year. Be patient, UNH has always made its living off of breakout SO and JR years while kids quietly matured and supported experienced scorers...

I'm not sure who you think was oversold? Way to early on Kelleher. Downing has had to do way too much heavy lifting on his own. The rest were unheralded fill-ins for top talent that never made it...
                  Last edited by Dan; 12-10-2014, 04:32 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

From a definitional point, does deferring and antagonizing the Div. 1 second leading scorer behind Jack Eichel count as a "defection"?

http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/d...men/2014-2015/
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

The problem, as has been discussed to death on this board - so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at what were seeing - is the horrible recruiting efforts that effected this program beginning with the debacle of losing Bourque, White, Reid, O'Neil and Laleggia along with the recruiting software miscue. UNH had to scramble to add fill ins for these recruits and they didn't come close to matching the talent they had lost.

UNH used to consistently skate two #1 lines, a young freshmen forward line and a hard-charging defensive third line. That has changed dramatically in the last few seasons as the talent has fallen off. I disagree with Greg - I think the team still skates well and has plenty of speed, but for a lot of the forwards that is all they have. Hands, stick-skills, shooting skills are what is missing!!

They replaced the lost talent with guys who can skate all over the ice, but can't handle the puck at top speed, guys who cannot handle the puck in tight spaces and guys who can't pick corners when shooting. Watch a lot of the upperclass kids play this weekend - they skate around, but they don't control the puck and their shots are blocked or into chests. Then watch the younger F's.

The one upperclassman who can do those things is Downing, but he'd be better suited playing a complimentary role on a #1 line (or at least he needs to play with other good players) to really be successful. When he played with Goumas for a few games as a sophomore they were dynamic! Instead, he's always been asked to carry a line and balance the scoring.

Willows hands are good enough, when combined with his bull in a china shop approach to the game, that he can produce. Kelleher was expected to be a prime scorer from day one - that has never been the UNH way and wasn't really fair given his stature. With added strength he's off to a great start this season. How many UNH freshman have burst onto the scene? Not many (Haydar & Collins). Saviano, Gare, Smith, the Hemingways, Radja, Thompson, Butler, Winnik - all pretty insignificant to modest FR contributions with BIG sequels.

We'll get the sequels from Kelleher and we'll get the sequels from this years FR - its just going to take some time. Poturalski, Foegele, Eiserman & McNicholas (Umile obviously loves his offense, if not his D) should all break 100 points easily. I'd expect Blackburn, Vela and VanReimsdyk to do the same. I hope all three come next year! These are the dynamic forwards we're used to. Players who can not only skate, but can score, handle the puck and make plays at tempo.

BTW - C-H-C - Blackburn is coming. If he signed his NLI (a one year document) it had to have been for 2015-16 and there's no reason to sign it unless they expect him to come.

It might not be next year - with Downing & Willows graduating and more kids on the way - but UNH is getting back on track. The SBN rankings are garbage - just like they did with this year's freshman they severly underrate next year's recruiting class. Especially, if it goes the way I hope in terms of who arrives. Fortunately, none of that matters. When this year's freshman are juniors, at the latest, UNH will once again be a part of the top tier in Hockey East. So enjoy the ride and appreciate that this young team has been in games (their last 5 loses - 7 of 9 - have been by essentially one goal (1 ENG)). Those are the games young teams lose and experienced teams win.

Now just don't screw up the recruiting...
                      Good stuff Dan keep coming back!!! I did just read that we had lost those games by one point and you are right...it'll come.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

BTW - C-H-C - Blackburn is coming. If he signed his NLI (a one year document) it had to have been for 2015-16 and there's no reason to sign it unless they expect him to come..
                        As this article explains, signing an NLI does not necessarily mean the recruit is enrolling the following fall.

Liam Blackburn understands that the decision on whether he comes in the Fall of 2015 or 2016 will probably be made at the end of this season. In interviews, Blackburn has articulated the advantages of playing one more year in the BCHL and in coming next year. If he continues to score at the current clip, my guess is he is much more likely to come to UNH next fall.
                        Last edited by C-H-C; 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM.
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          From a definitional point, does deferring and antagonizing the Div. 1 second leading scorer behind Jack Eichel count as a "defection"?

http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/d...men/2014-2015/
                          Speaking of discussing a topic to death.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Did Saviano underwhelm you when he scored 2 points as a FR? Did Colin Hemingway? Brett Hemingway? Preston Callandar? Bobby Butler? Paul Thompson? A handful of UNH freshman have finished the season in the 20 point range, but none outside of Mowers, Haydar & Collins have really blown the doors off. That's been fine because none have had too. Kelleher and this year's freshman may seem underwhelming, but only because of the expectations and responsibility they were saddled with. Kelleher had 16 points last year (at a buck-fifty soaking wet) and could be on his way to 30+ this year. Be patient, UNH has always made its living off of breakout SO and JR years while kids quietly matured and supported experienced scorers...

I'm not sure who you think was oversold? Way to early on Kelleher. Downing has had to do way too much heavy lifting on his own. The rest were unheralded fill-ins for top talent that never made it...
                            Watching Downing this year and thinking back to his Freshman year is disappointing. The perspective is appreciated.

Times have changed. Until recently the first I heard or saw of recruits was during the exhibition game (Winnnik!!!). If Greg gets his "sterling reports" as I do, from scanning this thread on this forum and no where else, then I agree with him. My 1st thought on seeing Kelleher last year was how small he was, followed quickly by thinking OK, he must be a Gerbe type? Yeah. Um, no.

I do appreciate the info I get here, especially from C-H-C. Expectations come with with positive upbeat information.
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Kelleher... must be a Gerbe type? Yeah. Um, no.
                              Not yet, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                Speaking of discussing a topic to death.
                                Troll alert.

Comment

Working...
                                X