This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colgate 2014-15

I was trying to wait and " continue to fly under the radar " but I would assume the bullseye has been applied to our jerseys now. Someone said they haven't seen this much optimism since 2001, I don't think I've ever seen more and I go back to the sixties. This is tremendous, but I just hope it doesn't get in the players heads.

A very tough start at #7 St Cloud for two, followed by #10 Northeastern home, should give us a reasonable sample of what's to come this year. Seventeen sophs and juniors back, the sky is the limit as Buccigross has picked us at #3 in the nation and obviously you've seen what the ECAC coaches and media have to say this morning. No more hiding.

We were a very fast team last year and with the three frosh forwards the players are saying this years team is even faster, this just makes me chuckle as last year we could skate with any team in the nation.

We all know Polls mean absolutely nothing, but to me it's better than being picked tenth. It's like being dealt two aces preflop, don't get carried away, it's what happens going forward.

The ECAC has become a top conference, per usual, it will be a crapshoot, you come to a game unprepared mentally and you will leave with a loss. We need a fast start, last year's 7-9-2 before Christmas hopefully was just a part of the learning curve for the then freshman and sophs.
    Last edited by sshablak; 09-24-2014, 07:37 AM.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Re: Colgate 2014-15

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    I was trying to wait and " continue to fly under the radar " but I would assume the bullseye has been applied to our jerseys now. Someone said they haven't seen this much optimism since 2001, I don't think I've ever seen more and I go back to the sixties. This is tremendous, but I just hope it doesn't get in the players heads.

A very tough start at #7 St Cloud for two, followed by #10 Northeastern home, should give us a reasonable sample of what's to come this year. Seventeen sophs and juniors back, the sky is the limit as Buccigross has picked us at #3 in the nation and obviously you've seen what the ECAC coaches and media have to say this morning. No more hiding.

We were a very fast team last year and with the three frosh forwards the players are saying this years team is even faster, this just makes me chuckle as last year we could skate with any team in the nation.

We all know Polls mean absolutely nothing, but to me it's better than being picked tenth. It's like being dealt two aces preflop, don't get carried away, it's what happens going forward.

The ECAC has become a top conference, per usual, it will be a crapshoot, you come to a game unprepared mentally and you will leave with a loss. We need a fast start, last year's 7-9-2 before Christmas hopefully was just a part of the learning curve for the then freshman and sophs.
    Well put. It's all about when your playing your best hockey as Yale showed us ( )
    Quinnipiac University '15
    ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
    ECAC Championship: 2016
    NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
    Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Lot of excitement going into this season, looking forward to it for sure. Shabby keep in mind that record before Christmas break was a top 5 SOS according to KRACH if I remember correctly. The two home loses to UMass hurt the most obviously right before break. Other polls may have us around 5-10 when they are released, thinking 3rd is a little high by Bucci. Either way this should be a really good team and hopefully they can bring some hardware back to Hamilton. Very excited for that first weekend against Northeastern. Also, I see Mercyhurst is projected to be solid in the AHA so that should keep the team focused when they come to Starr. If you get a chance take a look at the rest of St. Cloud's schedule, absolutely brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by still an empty net View Post
        Lot of excitement going into this season, looking forward to it for sure. Shabby keep in mind that record before Christmas break was a top 5 SOS according to KRACH if I remember correctly. The two home loses to UMass hurt the most obviously right before break. Other polls may have us around 5-10 when they are released, thinking 3rd is a little high by Bucci. Either way this should be a really good team and hopefully they can bring some hardware back to Hamilton. Very excited for that first weekend against Northeastern. Also, I see Mercyhurst is projected to be solid in the AHA so that should keep the team focused when they come to Starr. If you get a chance take a look at the rest of St. Cloud's schedule, absolutely brutal.
        Totally in agreement with you, great points.

Don't forget, Goulakos was just finishing six months of chemo in the fall. He was probably playing at about 75 per cent until the second half of the season. Coincidence that we went something like 14-3 until our last two games of the season ended in losses, I think not !

Comment

I'm with you all in looking forward to an exciting season, and hopefully an award-winning season. I'm just feeling very cautious at this stage. Not to be a Debby Downer but I've seen too many athletic teams have unexpectedly great years followed by "sophomore slumps." I'm hoping this does not happen to our guys. (...since the core of the team is comprised of juniors, maybe this is a non-issue) I believe there is too much talent and grit to let that happen. I guess we'll know much more after the first couple of weekends.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Only one game on tv vs Providence, ECAC hardly has games.

Comment

So the preseason poll will be out later today. Where do people think 'gate will be ranked to start the season. I'd be surprised with anything outside the top 5.

First "game" against queens is less than a week away!

As for national tv coverage I know that the ecac has a bunch on nbc sports, unsure about cbs sports but we will see. 'Gate's tv schedule always comes out late when ever time warner wants to get around to it. Id expect more tv coverage this year as long as we start well.

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                So the preseason poll will be out later today. Where do people think 'gate will be ranked to start the season. I'd be surprised with anything outside the top 5.

First "game" against queens is less than a week away!

As for national tv coverage I know that the ecac has a bunch on nbc sports, unsure about cbs sports but we will see. 'Gate's tv schedule always comes out late when ever time warner wants to get around to it. Id expect more tv coverage this year as long as we start well.
                I would have thought top ten before I saw Buccigross had us #3. I have been looking all am for the polls.

Comment

#6, with our first two games at #7 St. Cloud

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                    #6, with our first two games at #7 St. Cloud
                    Games should be televised !

Comment

The games will be streamed on the NCHC.tv pay-to-watch streaming service. There should be a one-day pass available at some point but right now they just have yearly and monthly subscriptions. As always, there will be FREE audio at http://www.wkxzfm.com. Note that the game times differ with each night, Friday will be an 8:37 PM EDT puck drop and Saturday will be at 8:07 PM EDT.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
                        The games will be streamed on the NCHC.tv pay-to-watch streaming service. There should be a one-day pass available at some point but right now they just have yearly and monthly subscriptions. As always, there will be FREE audio at http://www.wkxzfm.com. Note that the game times differ with each night, Friday will be an 8:37 PM EDT puck drop and Saturday will be at 8:07 PM EDT.
                        Thanks GR, where you been ? Good to see you again.

Comment

After a long summer, I'm finally ready for the puck to drop again. Shabby, thanks as always for starting the "in-season" thread.

Without a doubt, we are the prohibitive favorite in the ECAC this year. We improbably finished 2nd last year, and only lost 2 players to graduation. As a result, we now have a bulls-eye on our backs. Throughout last season, I saw in Colgate (and Union) what I saw in the 2013 Boston Red Sox on their way to a World Series Championship: a team that was playing with a team mentality, where everyone is a key contributor. Union went on to win it all, while Colgate lost a hard-fought 1-0 game to Ferris State in the NCAA tournament. Now we're looking to build on last season's success, and we're still hungry for an ECAC and possibly a National Championship. But it won't be easy. Just ask the 2014 Boston Red Sox, whose season was a complete train wreck from start to finish. Granted, they may have lost some key players from the 2013 season, and they had just won it all a season ago, but they still had some key players and were expected to be competitive this year. I'm hoping Colgate doesn't suffer the same fate that happened back in 2006, the last time they were picked to finish first. Just like that cursed year, the majority of our go-to players were juniors.

It won't be easy for us to replicate the success that we had last season. To start the year, we play two at St. Cloud, then two at home vs. Northeastern, both in the preseason top 20 (and John Buccigross's top 10). These first four games will tell us if we're contenders or pretenders. As for me, I'm hoping to get out to Hamilton this weekend to see the exhibition game (and the football game vs. Holy Cross). I'm hoping to make it to as many games as I can this year. Now will Colgate live up to its preseason expectations? Only time will tell.
                          Colgate '09

Comment

So many shortcomings and almost have-beens...still remember the heartbreaker against Colorado Coll in the NCAA tournament. Will never forget Albany in 2000...and the near heart-attack I had as the #12 seed against RPI and Union on the road. Hope the guys can blow everyone away this season. I could care less about the polls. To me what matters most is the ECAC title and starting a second season from there. A few stumbles out of the gate won't deter me or this team. Being picked 9th last year was a blessing in disguise. Maybe RPI will be the benefactor this year?!

Who knows, we may even pack the stands at Starr this year. And the new arena has me absolutely giddy! It looks like a tremendous place to want to play and watch college hockey. For a small school like Colgate, I hope it makes a great, lasting impression with winning results to last a lifetime.
                            C O L G A T E
                            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                            1990 NCAA FINALS
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I was preparing to emerge from summer hibernation, ease into things a bit, and then I see we're ranked #6!

Very optimistic going into the season, but it certainly says something to get Top 10/Top 5 respect from the rest of the country at this stage. Looking forward to the speed, looking forward to some nice non-conference matchups (6 games against teams in the preseason Top 20). By my reckoning here, the biggest thing that could derail this season is if anything happens to Finn in net. Not that the backups are necessarily bad, but it's hard to put trust in Freshmen at this point in the season. As long as the team can stay focused, and play their game, why not us?

By all accounts, this has been the targeted season, and at last it's here. Here's to seeing everyone on the other side in Boston
                              ECAC Champions: 1990
                              NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                              ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                              NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                              Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Working...
                              X