Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014-15: Release the Hounds!

I liked ZAR on Roy's line. Probably for no reason other than the one game last year they put up like 8 points together. Moving RR/Collier up to the third line and Pond onto the checking line to get McMurtry off the ice would also not make me sad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
      Copied from my DHD post for those who don't read there:

Went to open skate again like I often do, and practice plans were up, with lines. Some very drastic changes, but some people will be quite happy.

Roy/Szmatula/NStevens
      ZAR/Stevens/Snydeman
      McMurtry/Hedges/Reid
      Sikura/Rosenthal/Collier
      Jameison/Pond

Dax/Darou
      Cockerill/Benning
      Owens/Schechter
      Gunn/Fennell
      Harms

I personally love the top line now. I also love the 4th line, I think that combo could make some things happen. Pond, while physical, added nothing offensively, so Rosenthal will aid that. It's a smaller line, but could be effective. No complaints with the D pairing either.
      Also copied from my DHD post. It would be great if more of you would visit and post there.

I agree with you about the lines. For those who have been around awhile (KUpton et, al): Hopefully, we appear to have a Charlie Huck at center, a Jim Martel at LW and we need to find a Dave Sherlock on RW (he played JV during most of his Fr. year). This was our all-time top line beginning in 1970 (the first year that freshman were eligible) through 1974. I would have preferred Torin, but if NStevens is a tiger along the boards and can muck to the puck out to the gunners, that's OK with me.

One last thought. We have had zero "puck luck" around the net so far. "Puck luck" is an area that the statisticians have not yet invaded, but my ample gut, and more than a few years of watching the game, tell me that these things tend to even out over the course of the season. And the harder we work, the luckier we'll get.

The fourth line is made up of three guys who earned their stripes on offense. They've probably spent very few shifts on a checking line during their hockey lives. What exactly will their role be? BC and Sikura look like they may be pretty good forecheckers. Rosenthal may have to supply the muscle. Should be interesting.

As for the D: I am learning to avert my eyes when Benning comes over the boards. Based on his play so far, he is doing the same thing. I'm sorry to say that I'd rather see 61 out there or play with 5 Ds. Has anyone heard a prognosis for Sauce? It would be nice if he could return for the Q series, but if he isn't able to practice.... . He had a serious knee injury and operation during his last year in the USHL. I'd hate to think this ding is related to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post
        . As for the D: I am learning to avert my eyes when Benning comes over the boards. Based on his play so far, he is doing the same thing. I'm sorry to say that I'd rather see 61 out there or play with 5 Ds. Has anyone heard a prognosis for Sauce? It would be nice if he could return for the Q series, but if he isn't able to practice.... . He had a serious knee injury and operation during his last year in the USHL. I'd hate to think this ding is related to that.
        I believe I saw Saucerman walking around at the second game in Colgate so I don't think it is that bad.

I still don't understand why the staff keeps sending out McMurtry. He is a turnover machine and seems to negate whatever talent his linemates have. Last weekend they kept throwing him out there with Roy and on the PP and it is obvious that he is a third liner at best.

As for the PP, maybe the coaching staff could take a couple of points from the Bruins PP. They seem to be clicking pretty well right now.
        "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboaters View Post
          it is obvious that he is a third liner at best.

As for the PP, maybe the coaching staff could take a couple of points from the Bruins PP. They seem to be clicking pretty well right now.
          I honestly think you're being generous with that 3rd line comment. Huskies01 had a good stat on Murchy during the game, I forget what it was. But basically, Murchy has put up less-than-middling numbers in his time here.

Funny enough about the B's PP, Keefe I know watches them religiously. So he's seeing the success just like you are. Hope some of assimilates into his thoughts for his own PP units
          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

I said he needed to fix the lines last week, well I kinda said that, and they have at least attempted it! Hopefully it shakes out. Although, I totally believe that if ZAR and Roy aren’t together, not only aren't we going to score many goals but I rest my case, that JM is the idiot I remember him to be from Constitutional Law, American Presidency, and Western Civ. However, perhaps he feels he has no other choice because clearly those two Stevens Bros., when paired together, appear to have the offensive fire power and accuracy of a Daisy Red Rider BB gun. See you all at the UMASS game on Friday night, However, if we don't score at least 3 or 4 goals Friday night against a sub par UMASS team, and I really don’t care what Michigan team they just beat, as they are not a great HE team, we are going to be in for a seriously long season. I mean any season you start 0-4 may be a good indicator of future failure in a 35 game season when you play in a league where you are going to have 10 or 12 league games against ranked opponents. Also is Roy now the guy between the pipes ? or is this going to be a platoon approach, becasue I think D Roy played well enough last week to earn the start on Friday night.
            Last edited by RossiRules; 10-21-2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I don't think you can possibly go away from Witt. He imo played better on Friday than Roy did on Saturday (nothing against Derick, he had a good game himself) and he has the experience and captaincy on his side. I think it was more of a team wake up and get it together change than a future indicator, unless Witt turns back into 4 GAA Witt and the magic of last winter shows to be a complete fluke.
              Last edited by TheRevengeance; 10-21-2014, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                I don't think you can possibly go away from Witt.
                I agree. Whether it was luck, sustained success, skill finally shining through, whatever you want to call it, Witt has shown that he can have serious shut-down ability in hockey east. Derick has shown struggles against the likes of Huntsville, St. Lawrence, and (albeit a much better team) Colgate. I say ride Witt all year, especially in HE games. Sprinkle Derick in for non-conference games, keep him sharp and prep him for next year, where the competition again is wide open between Roy, Theut, and Ruck. There is a reason it was said in the preseason that Witt will carry this team, et al. Because he is the guy. Live and die by way of the Witt Wagon.
                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Witt lost his magic fairy dust after the BC Beanpot loss. I have no issues with either of the backups getting time, as I think the guy who was Top 3 in Save % for most of last season will not be returning. Not saying he will be bad, but I do not think he is going to steal as many games this year as he did last. Roy was fine on Saturday except for the 2nd goal where he pushed his save into a bad spot that led to the rebound goal. Cant kick the puck out to the circle like that.

As for lineup. JM's way has to always been to move guys around. The only change I would make is to put the 3 Americans back together, and keep ZAR on the first. The Americans would make a fine checking line with some offensive upside if they could get the puck to the front of the net and crash. They finally got guys on this team who can play with Reid, and then we only it give it one game. Stupid.

The problem with trying to copy the Bruins PP is that we do not have dmen who can move or shoot the puck like Torey Krug. Maybe the new kid can get to that point, but I wouldn't put that pressure on him yet. They tried to make Roy that guy last year, but he is our best forward, the other teams collapse to him because they have zero respect for the other guys out there with him, and who can blame them? Someone other then Roy needs to score a few on the PP to make teams respect the entire 5 man unit. That's when time and space will open up. Right now you pressure our guys they either turn it over with a bad pass, or shoot hard and wide which gets by everyone and leads to odd man breaks.

I was expecting this team to be middle of the pack anyway. If they end up towards the bottom of the middle, so be it. They were do some regression anyway after last season. They were worse then their record showed. Its just been catching up since after the Beanpot.

by the way - remember last season when our freshmen class was ranked so high? Take out Szmatula, what is everyone thinking now? Time for the sophomores to pick it up.
                  Last edited by Huskies01; 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM.
                  DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                    I said he needed to fix the lines last week, well I kinda said that, and they have at least attempted it! Hopefully it shakes out. Although, I totally believe that if ZAR and Roy aren’t together, not only aren't we going to score many goals but I rest my case, that JM is the idiot I remember him to be from Constitutional Law, American Presidency, and Western Civ
                    Rossi/Mike, whoever - You are a special kind of rectal-cerebral inversion! You have been carrying around a massive axe that you are trying to grind on Jim Madigan's neck, yet you have no idea who you are talking about. It may surprise you to learn that JM never took Constitutional Law or American Presidency classes. Why would he? He is/was a Canadian citizen who was raised in Montreal and Toronto. He was a marketing/management major with a minimal interest in those subjects as he expected to return to Canada to pursue a career. He ws four years ahead of you and carrying a B- average.
                    Don't you think it would be rather unlikely that he would have had three classes with you in your freshman year?

What happened? Did someone tell you that the person you saw was Jim Madigan - and you believed him. It isn't enough that in your posts you have usurped the name of one of our most colorful players, you have significantly exaggerated your role as a Co-op employer, you intimated that you are a important donor to the University/hockey program (which you are not). That isn't enough for you. You have maligned an individual who has been a major asset to Northeastern for close to 30 years, in a variety of ways, and who has earned the respect of many hundereds of co-workers, athletes, and alumni who have had dealings with him.

I have two suggestions for you. First, show that you are a man with the bawls to call Jim and to reintroduce yourself to him. Apologize for your boorish behavior (some might call it "stupidity"). If you think you know so much about the sport of hockey, use that call to share some of your "insights". I guarantee that he'll show more respect for your amateur observations than you have shown for his professional efforts to field a competitive team.

Second: Stick to commenting on the team and its play. You apparently know a little bit about the sport and your views may enlighten other posters. Stop your self-aggrandizement (a.k.a) bragging and your disparaging comments about someone you really don't know and apparent have never spoken to.

The other posters and I will be interested to know what you learned from your conversation with Jim - assuming that you call him at 617-373-3376.
                    Last edited by HHound; 10-22-2014, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                      Rossi/Mike, whoever - You are a special kind of rectal-cerebral inversion! You have been carrying around a massive axe that you are trying to grind on Jim Madigan's neck, yet you have no idea who you are talking about. It may surprise you to learn that JM never took Constitutional Law or American Presidency classes. Why would he? He is/was a Canadian citizen who was raised in Montreal and Toronto. He was a marketing/management major with a minimal interest in those subjects as he expected to return to Canada to pursue a career. He ws four years ahead of you and carrying a B- average.
                      Don't you think it would be rather unlikely that he would have had three classes with you in your freshman year?

What happened? Did someone tell you that the person you saw was Jim Madigan - and you believed him. It isn't enough that in your posts you have usurped the name of one of our most colorful players, you have significantly exaggerated your role as a Co-op employer, you intimated that you are a important donor to the University/hockey program (which you are not). That isn't enough for you. You have maligned an individual who has been a major asset to Northeastern for close to 30 years, in a variety of ways, and who has earned the respect of many hundereds of co-workers, athletes, and alumni who have had dealings with him.

I have two suggestions for you. First, show that you are a man with the bawls to call Jim and to reintroduce yourself to him. Apologize for your boorish behavior (some might call it "stupidity"). If you think you know so much about the sport of hockey, use that call to share some of your "insights". I guarantee that he'll show more respect for your amateur observations than you have shown for his professional efforts to field a competitive team.

Second: Stick to commenting on the team and its play. You apparently know a little bit about the sport and your views may enlighten other posters. Stop your self-aggrandizement (a.k.a) bragging and your disparaging comments about someone you really don't know and apparent have never spoken to.

The other posters and I will be interested to know what you learned from your conversation with Jim - assuming that you call him at 617-373-3376.
                      I also personally know Jim and Rossi's comments are so off base. I have just assumed all along that nobody takes any of them to heart. JM must have beaten him up somewhere on campus as a lonely freshman cause this guy definitely has an major ax to grind.
                      The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

I don't care what it looks like on Friday just get two points.
                        These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Hi guys,

It was posted on the UMass board that this game was sold out. I went to check myself and you can't get 2 tix together on gonu.com. Is that for real? I have a hard time believing that UMass is that big of a draw.
                          #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                            Hi guys,

It was posted on the UMass board that this game was sold out. I went to check myself and you can't get 2 tix together on gonu.com. Is that for real? I have a hard time believing that UMass is that big of a draw.
                            It is "parents Weekend". I hope we gave parents free tickets considering how much tuition they are paying.

Serious disrespect shown by Mssrs. Hendrickson and Connelly who couldn't be bothered to make a prediction on our game tonight in their, always last to post, Thursday night blog!

We know Connelly doesn't think much of our team, but IIRC, Hendrickson sent one of his descendants to our campus to be properly educated .
                            Last edited by HHound; 10-24-2014, 07:38 AM.

Comment

No Clay Witt tonight? rumored upper body injury. per WRBB Sports
                              Last edited by Happy Husky; 10-24-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

That sucks. Hopefully Roy stands his ground.
                                These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X