Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Did ya'll know that Basara is attending the Washington Capitals training camp July 7-11, and Morley is attending the Winnipeg Jets training camp on July 3-7?
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      Did ya'll know that Basara is attending the Washington Capitals training camp July 7-11, and Morley is attending the Winnipeg Jets training camp on July 3-7?
      Yes. And I'll take the segue and help you get this thread off the seawolf mascot topic.

…and sophomore to be Zach Frye (defense) has been selected to participate at the Boston Bruins development camp starting July 14…

…and incoming freshman Nikolas Koberstein (defense) is in his second-straight NHL development camp with the Montreal Canadiens.
      Last edited by mmf; 07-05-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
        Yes. And I'll take the segue and help you get this thread off the seawolf mascot topic.

…and sophomore to be Zach Frye (defense) has been selected to participate at the Boston Bruins development camp starting July 14…

…and incoming freshman Nikolas Koberstein (defense) is in his second-straight NHL development camp with the Montreal Canadiens.
        Koberstein is also an Habs draft pick.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Without a Peer (RPI Blog) has done another excellent write up of Know Your Enemy: Arizona State. Since we are playing Arizona State in this year’s Kendall, and RPI in this year’s Brice, it is an interesting read.

I hope we have the chance to play ASU in Arizona within the next few years. It’s probably a trip I would make. Arizona is the favored destination of choice of many Alaskans for relocation/retirement/schooling/vacation, and even incarceration if you’re from Anchorage. We might be surprised to see how many Nook fans would show up at a UAF vs ASU match up.

Go Nooks!

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
            Without a Peer (RPI Blog) has done another excellent write up of Know Your Enemy: Arizona State. Since we are playing Arizona State in this year’s Kendall, and RPI in this year’s Brice, it is an interesting read.

I hope we have the chance to play ASU in Arizona within the next few years. It’s probably a trip I would make. Arizona is the favored destination of choice of many Alaskans for relocation/retirement/schooling/vacation, and even incarceration if you’re from Anchorage. We might be surprised to see how many Nook fans would show up at a UAF vs ASU match up.

Go Nooks!
            I have family in Phoenix. I'd make that trip as well.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Interesting article about former Nanook Michael Hill.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e26682856.html

Comment

To those who follow recruiting, did Alaska Fairbanks tried to recruit Jesper Öhrvall or Chandler Madry, guys who played last season in the NAHL with the Ice Dogs? They appear to be better prospects than the guys who AAF has recruited. I thought a team like Fairbanks Ice Dogs were an UAF pipeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nanookforlife View Post
                  To those who follow recruiting, did Alaska Fairbanks tried to recruit Jesper Öhrvall or Chandler Madry, guys who played last season in the NAHL with the Ice Dogs? They appear to be better prospects than the guys who AAF has recruited. I thought a team like Fairbanks Ice Dogs were an UAF pipeline.
                  About the only people who would reliably know the answer that are the players themselves or the coaching staff. The Nooks have a long history of getting guys from the Ice Dogs but they aren't going to recruit the whole team. Additionally, the Ice Dogs are one of the more respected franchises in the NAHL and have a strong history of putting guys in the NCAA...it's entirely possible those two players were recruited by multiple programs and just decided to go somewhere else. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    About the only people who would reliably know the answer that are the players themselves or the coaching staff. The Nooks have a long history of getting guys from the Ice Dogs but they aren't going to recruit the whole team. Additionally, the Ice Dogs are one of the more respected franchises in the NAHL and have a strong history of putting guys in the NCAA...it's entirely possible those two players were recruited by multiple programs and just decided to go somewhere else. It happens.
                    I guess there are better options for some guys and UAF is not a powerhouse. Maybe this is what Stephon Williams thought, born and raised in Fairbanks, played for the Arctic Lions but then he went to the USHL and i guess he had better offers than just UAF. I would like to see UAF recruiting top guys but it is really hard for a lot of reasons. I wonder why Parayko decided to choose UAF, it would be interesting to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nanookforlife View Post
                      I guess there are better options for some guys and UAF is not a powerhouse. Maybe this is what Stephon Williams thought, born and raised in Fairbanks, played for the Arctic Lions but then he went to the USHL and i guess he had better offers than just UAF. I would like to see UAF recruiting top guys but it is really hard for a lot of reasons. I wonder why Parayko decided to choose UAF, it would be interesting to know.
                      Losing Alaska talent to the lower 48 is nothing new for us or UAA. And that goes beyond hockey, too. A lot of kids who grow up in AK spend most of their teen years wanting nothing more than to get out of Alaska (then a lot of them come back after figuring out that most of the lower 48 isn't all that great, but I digress).

On recruiting, I would point out a couple of things. First, Ferguson and company have done a great job of finding under the radar guys like Parayko, Kunyk, Taranto, etc. who either weren't recruited by the name brand programs, or were but figured out they could play a lot more and star here instead of being buried in a rotation. UAA just pulled that McTavish kid from BU, and I'd be willing to bet the promise of playing time factored into his decision. Second, remember that our hockey program at the NCAA level is barely 30 years old, and is not in a geographically advantageous location. It has come a long, long way in a fairly short amount of time, especially in the last 15 years. It takes time to build a program, especially when you don't have the advantage of $80 million donations, a la Penn State.

Comment

UAF released details of the upcoming budget cuts today. Specific to Athletics, you can look for yourself on page 10: http://www.uaf.edu/finserv/omb/budge...ED-VERSION.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          UAF released details of the upcoming budget cuts today. Specific to Athletics, you can look for yourself on page 10: http://www.uaf.edu/finserv/omb/budge...ED-VERSION.pdf
                          It does not say which sport(s) will be impacted by cutting preseason play / tournaments. Any ideas?
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            Reading between the BS, it seems they're cutting recruiting budgets, travel budgets, eliminating the preseason basketball or volleyball stuff? Maybe the hockey exhibition game? Also looking eliminating the BAGR?
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Reading between the BS, it seems they're cutting recruiting budgets, travel budgets, eliminating the preseason basketball or volleyball stuff? Maybe the hockey exhibition game? Also looking eliminating the BAGR?
                              I think the BAGR counts as regular season. Sounds like the exhibition game against whatever Canadian school is going away, unless the Face Off Club comes up with the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                It does not say which sport(s) will be impacted by cutting preseason play / tournaments. Any ideas?
                                Probably all. Although hockey has an active booster club and alumni association that might be able to help. We will see.

Comment

Working...
                                X