Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Zach Frye at the Boston Bruins development camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanookforlife View Post
      To those who follow recruiting, did Alaska Fairbanks tried to recruit Jesper Öhrvall or Chandler Madry, guys who played last season in the NAHL with the Ice Dogs? They appear to be better prospects than the guys who AAF has recruited. I thought a team like Fairbanks Ice Dogs were an UAF pipeline.
      Notwithstanding the valid comments about the recruiting challenges of a small DII school on the edge of nowhere, what about our recruiting class do you not like. I think the UAF coaching staff does a good job with recruiting and finds kids who are a comfortable fit with our program and community.

I have no expertise in judging players so I defer to those who can sort through all the stats and somehow equitably compare all the strengths of schedules and conferences, quality of supporting teammates, goaltending, injury impacts, etc.

Personally, I look forward to our recruits hitting campus. I think we have a solid incoming group. Can’t wait to see how they fit in to a good returning core of Nooks. If Parayko would have stayed, I would have been making a case for a 1 or 2 finish. Even without Parayko, I’m thinking we will once again challenge for home ice. And this year it counts…

Edit...thought I'd post a summary:
      Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Go Nooks!
      Last edited by mmf; 07-31-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        I think the BAGR counts as regular season. Sounds like the exhibition game against whatever Canadian school is going away, unless the Face Off Club comes up with the money.
        But it's also extra expense having 3 other teams around rather than just one. I could see the University asking them to cut it on that principle.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          Notwithstanding the valid comments about the recruiting challenges of a small DII school on the edge of nowhere, what about our recruiting class do you not like. I think the UAF coaching staff does a good job with recruiting and finds kids who are a comfortable fit with our program and community.

I have no expertise in judging players so I defer to those who can sort through all the stats and somehow equitably compare all the strengths of schedules and conferences, quality of supporting teammates, goaltending, injury impacts, etc.

Personally, I look forward to our recruits hitting campus. I think we have a solid incoming group. Can’t wait to see how they fit in to a good returning core of Nooks. If Parayko would have stayed, I would have been making a case for a 1 or 2 finish. Even without Parayko, I’m thinking we will once again challenge for home ice. And this year it counts…

Edit...thought I'd post a summary:
          Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Go Nooks!
          I agree with all of this, i was just asking but like you said, i think the staff does a very good job.

Pretty to cool to have Koberstein on board, a 19 yo kid who was drafted last year by the Canadiens.

His scouting report on HF:

"Koberstein is a puck-mover that skates well with good offensive upside and plays aggressively in all three zones. The gritty defenseman plays in all the important situations for his team and possesses good leadership qualities. His character and work ethic are what pushes him to improve his overall game. His upside potential is that of a top four defenseman at the NHL level if all goes well with his development. He could be a sleeper pick by the Canadiens from the 2014 NHL entry draft"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            But it's also extra expense having 3 other teams around rather than just one. I could see the University asking them to cut it on that principle.
            Article in the News Miner today mentions they did look at the BAGR. So far, one of the basketball tournaments is going away.

http://m.newsminer.com/sports/local/budget-cuts-force-uaf-to-drop-men-s-hoops-tourney/article_f64343a0-3818-11e5-a76e-b37f9963be20.html?mode=jqm
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

New five year sponsorship deal with Alaska Airlines has been announced, which includes renaming the Patty Center court to the Alaska Airlines court at the Patty Center, along with some air travel perks and scholarship money.

The air travel should be a big help.

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2015/8...807150420.aspx
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                New five year sponsorship deal with Alaska Airlines has been announced, which includes renaming the Patty Center court to the Alaska Airlines court at the Patty Center, along with some air travel perks and scholarship money.

The air travel should be a big help.

http://alaskananooks.com/news/2015/8...807150420.aspx
                Yeah, just saw the new basketball court and Patty Center entrance...Dr. Gray has done a good job up there! Wow. The court looks very impressive.

Comment

The other big news from a couple of days ago was the formal announcement of the west side of the Carlson Center being designated as wet for Nanook games.

It wasn't exactly a big secret, but it was a long time coming.

http://www.alaskananooks.com/news/20...805150051.aspx

Comment

The other big news from a couple of days ago was the formal announcement of the west side of the Carlson Center being designated as wet for Nanook games.

It wasn't exactly a big secret, but it was a long time coming.

http://www.alaskananooks.com/news/20...805150051.aspx
                    This is big news for a few reasons. As long as overindulgence can be controlled, enjoying a beverage or two at your seat during play will definitely draw more fans and season ticket holders to the Nook games. And although revenues from beers sales do not go directly to the university, I understand there will be an almost direct offset in the nightly charge for the Carlson against increased beer sales. Drink up.

I expect the first year or two to see numerous complaints from season ticket holders or folks who either want to get out of the beer side, or who want to get in. Or who want to keep their seats on the beer side but not allow beer in their section. Or those who want to keep their favorite seat on the non-beer side but demand to be served beer. Whatever. There will be a chance to swap seats, but that process usually has it's own issues. Anyway. Drink up.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      This is big news for a few reasons. As long as overindulgence can be controlled, enjoying a beverage or two at your seat during play will definitely draw more fans and season ticket holders to the Nook games. And although revenues from beers sales do not go directly to the university, I understand there will be an almost direct offset in the nightly charge for the Carlson against increased beer sales. Drink up.

I expect the first year or two to see numerous complaints from season ticket holders or folks who either want to get out of the beer side, or who want to get in. Or who want to keep their seats on the beer side but not allow beer in their section. Or those who want to keep their favorite seat on the non-beer side but demand to be served beer. Whatever. There will be a chance to swap seats, but that process usually has it's own issues. Anyway. Drink up.
                      My guess is the seat preview event on August 26 is, in reality, an effort to prevent some of that from happening after the season starts.

If beer sales help offset the nightly charge of using the Carlson Center then this really big news.

Attendance nosedived by about 500 or so on average after the WCHA move and I know quite a few decision makers on the hill noticed, as did the hockey alums who are helping drive these changes in the Carlson.

Comment

I'm not sure we are anywhere near an "attendance x price" sweet spot for overall revenue. I think folks consider the Nooks in their entertainment dollar decision making, but we are priced a little high for the "best bang for family buck". Ice Dogs, Movies, and just dinning out may make more sense to a lot of folks or families that aren't die hard hockey fans. A lower price could increase attendance and overall revenue. Or not.

It would be interesting to look at detailed game by game attendance data over the last three or five years. Look at season ticket holders, who actually showed up, general admission, ticket given away etc. Look at Friday vs Saturday vs holiday. Also throw in some concession sales data.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                          I'm not sure we are anywhere near an "attendance x price" sweet spot for overall revenue. I think folks consider the Nooks in their entertainment dollar decision making, but we are priced a little high for the "best bang for family buck". Ice Dogs, Movies, and just dinning out may make more sense to a lot of folks or families that aren't die hard hockey fans. A lower price could increase attendance and overall revenue. Or not.

It would be interesting to look at detailed game by game attendance data over the last three or five years. Look at season ticket holders, who actually showed up, general admission, ticket given away etc. Look at Friday vs Saturday vs holiday. Also throw in some concession sales data.
                          It's easy enough to pull historical attendance data from USCHO. It was averaging around 3000-3200 the last several years of the CCHA, as I recall.

I do think they could get more creative with season ticket packages instead of the one size fits all approach.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is interested, but i am currently listening an UAF Hockey vs Concordia game (Radio Broadcast) of December 9th 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWfvzdjkAD8

It is really interesting despite UAF did not win a single game that year (0-22). It was Ric Schafer first season as a HC, the next season was Don Lucia's first year as an assistant coach. I can not find the roster though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nanookforlife View Post
                              Not sure if anyone is interested, but i am currently listening an UAF Hockey vs Concordia game (Radio Broadcast) of December 9th 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWfvzdjkAD8

It is really interesting despite UAF did not win a single game that year (0-22). It was Ric Schafer first season as a HC, the next season was Don Lucia's first year as an assistant coach. I can not find the roster though.
                              Nice find!

Comment

Nice find!
                                Thanks. Schafer was the HC at the time and he has been introduced in the Nanook Hall of Fame couple days ago. Congrats coach!

Comment

Working...
                                X