Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nanook Nation 2014-2015

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    I am not too concerned, but you never know. I don't think he'd leave for another college program...he is raising his family there, he's an alum, etc. There have been rumors that he has shot down bigger programs in the past to stay "home". I think it would take an AHL gig, at least, to pry him away.
    You might not be too apprehensive but from some of MMF's prior posts he laid out some sobering facts due to the state budget.

Originally posted by MMF ……..

Like a $110m basketball arena or funding to finish UAAs new Engineering building (but not UAFs).
    The Regents will get their marching orders from the legislature, which is highly southcentral-centric.

The state’s financial environment is not short term. There almost has to be a total restructure of the UA system with most undergraduate programs, graduate programs, and all sports teams based in Anchorage, and with Fairbanks "almost" exclusively a research institution. I think UAF athletics days are numbered. I can’t imagine some of the complicated issues a restructure like this would create, and it would take years to fully implement. But I fear it is coming.

State government, K-12 Education, and local governments are in the same boat.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

$$$things are $$$ tough and going to get tougher...2016 suppose to be financially worse....Juneau is looking to merge both high schools athletic programs into one to save money.....UAF aka Alaska told to trim 10 percent from each sport in athletics.. How do you do that???? Fires assistant coaches, travel with less athletes. leave a day later, eat just two meals instead of three when on the road?????

Costs of food, travel and hotel aren't going down.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        You might not be too apprehensive but from some of MMF's prior posts he laid out some sobering facts due to the state budget.

Originally posted by MMF ……..

Like a $110m basketball arena or funding to finish UAAs new Engineering building (but not UAFs).
        The Regents will get their marching orders from the legislature, which is highly southcentral-centric.

The state’s financial environment is not short term. There almost has to be a total restructure of the UA system with most undergraduate programs, graduate programs, and all sports teams based in Anchorage, and with Fairbanks "almost" exclusively a research institution. I think UAF athletics days are numbered. I can’t imagine some of the complicated issues a restructure like this would create, and it would take years to fully implement. But I fear it is coming.

State government, K-12 Education, and local governments are in the same boat.
        You'd like that, wouldn't you...
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
          $$$things are $$$ tough and going to get tougher...2016 suppose to be financially worse....Juneau is looking to merge both high schools athletic programs into one to save money.....UAF aka Alaska told to trim 10 percent from each sport in athletics.. How do you do that???? Fires assistant coaches, travel with less athletes. leave a day later, eat just two meals instead of three when on the road?????

Costs of food, travel and hotel aren't going down.....
          That 10% is more palatable if they would put some effort back into getting people to attend events. Gate revenue alone could alleviate most of that.

Our friends in Anchorage will feel pain too...just because they haven't done anything besides kick daycare off campus doesn't mean the train isn't coming down the tracks. That new basketball palace won't pay for itself, unless they put Brad Paisley on payroll.

Maybe mmf is right and UAF athletics ceases to exist, but I also know if that little red nuclear button gets pushed it won't happen easily.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

That 10% is more palatable if they would put some effort back into getting people to attend events. Gate revenue alone could alleviate most of that.

Our friends in Anchorage will feel pain too...just because they haven't done anything besides kick daycare off campus doesn't mean the train isn't coming down the tracks. That new basketball palace won't pay for itself, unless they put Brad Paisley on payroll.

Maybe mmf is right and UAF athletics ceases to exist, but I also know if that little red nuclear button gets pushed it won't happen easily.
            This is just extremely unfortunate no matter how you look at it. I am a UAA fan, but to suspend academic programs at UAF, particularly the PhD programs is stupid. I do not want to see UAF sports eliminated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
              This is just extremely unfortunate no matter how you look at it. I am a UAA fan, but to suspend academic programs at UAF, particularly the PhD programs is stupid. I do not want to see UAF sports eliminated.
              I think UAF will keep most of the STEM stuff plus the research because it already has the facilities, the infrastructure, and the reputation. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the liberal arts degrees shift to UAA and even UAS, to a point. Heck we already eliminated the philosophy degree because of all this crap.

The future of UAF athletics depends in large part on who replaces Brian Rogers. He wasn't ever going to eliminate Athletics, despite the incessant whining from a few faculty members. If he is replaced by someone from the existing UAF cabinet or UA leadership tree then I wouldn't be too worried. If it's somebody external, then I'd be worried.

If this state's legislative leadership had any brains, it'd be using the U of A to drive investment into the state via research funding and encouraging kids to stay home instead of bolting for easier climates as soon as they hit 18 because the opportunities aren't here. But hey, all in the name of fiscal conservatism, right? Because that's how you get re-elected in Alaska.

Comment

Doubt that any Seawolf fan would like that.
                Too much enjoyment in having a foil right up the highway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                  Doubt that any Seawolf fan would like that.
                  Too much enjoyment in having a foil right up the highway.
                  Whether we like or not, we're in this together. UAA and UAF have a very symbiotic relationship regarding athletics. Reality is, we both need each other to survive.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    Whether we like or not, we're in this together. UAA and UAF have a very symbiotic relationship regarding athletics. Reality is, we both need each other to survive.
                    What he said.

Comment

That is total B S … what would I have to do, If the village that beats to a different drum but thinks it’s perfectly normal had their sports teams dismissed. That is a large part of my life; with a void that big even Arctic Rescue couldn’t fill it no matter how hard they tried.
                      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

That is a large part of my life
                        You've finally admitted to your obsession

Comment

You've finally admitted to your obsession
                          More like a lure to village life that has no ambitions to be a standard city but proud to retain their homegrown quirks nobody else would have in real life. Somewhat like a modern freak show in the old county circus with no admission charge. That’s more like it.

Comment

More like a lure to village life that has no ambitions to be a standard city but proud to retain their homegrown quirks nobody else would have in real life. Somewhat like a modern freak show in the old county circus with no admission charge. That’s more like it.
                            We can handle the hometown quirks. You can keep the condensed, instant Albuquerque.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                              ...Somewhat like a modern freak show in the old county circus with no admission charge...
                              Always free admission to the village of Fairbanks. We don’t even have to turn in our man card like Anchoragites do. Not that there is anything wrong with that…

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                                Always free admission to the village of Fairbanks. We don’t even have to turn in our man card like Anchoragites do. Not that there is anything wrong with that…
                                The only card I can remember is the ones issued there in the berg on the edge of nowhere.
                                You know the one...perhaps you had one?....... an Alaska Peace Makers Militia ID...but the way I hear it you folks were burning them, disavowing them, trying to distance yourself as far from them as you could get.
                                It's a shame as they must be quite the collectors item up there now.

Comment

Working...
                                X