X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nescac 2014-2015

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
    Pick a game. Final score 2-1.
    That is remarkable isn't it! The whole conference having the same score! Only one was in OT though; MIDD took the Bantams to overtime in the last seconds of the third (EAG)! only to give it up 47 seconds into the OT. MIDD was very impressive tonight, they played well enough to win, but didn't...I'm guessing that the Panthers will have to play the number one or two team in the quarter finals, and that team shouldn't take them lightly...
    from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy d View Post
      That is remarkable isn't it! The whole conference having the same score! Only one was in OT though; MIDD took the Bantams to overtime in the last seconds of the third (EAG)! only to give it up 47 seconds into the OT. MIDD was very impressive tonight, they played well enough to win, but didn't...I'm guessing that the Panthers will have to play the number one or two team in the quarter finals, and that team shouldn't take them lightly...
      I cannot believe some of the stuff I saw in the last two games. If you look at SOG, on Friday vs Trinity they launched 33 shot ON GOAL and probably another 20 or so that missed the net. Result was 1 goal. On Saturday vs. Wesleyan they took 34 SOG and another 20 or so wide of the net for total of 3 goals. That's 67 SOG for 4 tallies. This is not impressive, however you want to paint it. This team has been disassembled and put together so many times that nobody knows where anybody else is going to be on the ice and it produces chaotic games resembling knock-hockey and whack-a-mole. The Middlebury Pathetiques are done for this year IMO and have been a huge disappointment to a lot of faithful fans.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD GUY '61 View Post
        The Middlebury Pathetiques are done for this year IMO and have been a huge disappointment to a lot of faithful fans.
        My guess is that you are not one of the "faithful fans." In which case, what concern is it of yours how some other team plays their games? I am a Midd supporter but, you may be surprised to learn that I am not one of the hugely disappointed. I guess my life is not much influenced by what a group of college boys do on a hockey rink. This past weekend, I saw a Middlebury team that worked very hard every shift and outplayed the best team in the NESCAC on Friday (did everything but get the w) and gave coach Bill Beaney his 600th win on Saturday afternoon. His body of work is a remarkable achievement. His success at Middelbury set a higher standard in D3 hockey which has a had huge effect on how the sport has grown in recent years. A tip of the cap to Bill and good luck to the Panthers and the rest of the NESCAC (this is a NESCAC thread after all) teams through the balance of the regular season and into the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by puxrex View Post
          My guess is that you are not one of the "faithful fans." In which case, what concern is it of yours how some other team plays their games? I am a Midd supporter but, you may be surprised to learn that I am not one of the hugely disappointed. I guess my life is not much influenced by what a group of college boys do on a hockey rink. This past weekend, I saw a Middlebury team that worked very hard every shift and outplayed the best team in the NESCAC on Friday (did everything but get the w) and gave coach Bill Beaney his 600th win on Saturday afternoon. His body of work is a remarkable achievement. His success at Middelbury set a higher standard in D3 hockey which has a had huge effect on how the sport has grown in recent years. A tip of the cap to Bill and good luck to the Panthers and the rest of the NESCAC (this is a NESCAC thread after all) teams through the balance of the regular season and into the playoffs.
          You guessed wrong. I graduated from Midd in 1961. I've followed Midd hockey for 54 years and taken pride in their accomplishments on and off the ice, both before and after the advent of Coach Beaney, who I respect and admire. It is a sad thing to watch a tradition fade away as this one has over the last five years or so. I would hope that, from time to time, I might be allowed to voice an opinion on my impressions of this year's team as so many others do - (this being a forum) - without snide remarks from the choir.

Comment

So you go back to the Duke Nelson and Wendy Forbes days. Three excellent teachers (coaches) in a row.
            Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
              So you go back to the Duke Nelson and Wendy Forbes days. Three excellent teachers (coaches) in a row.
              Yes. The so-called "good old days" when we used to actually look forward to playing Norwich !!

Comment

Originally posted by puxrex View Post
                I don't know if there has been a poorer season in the history Middlebury hockey, and the only tiebreaker they own so far is vs. Colby. That 600th win has been avoidably postponed for some time. To have lost to Wesleyan might have meant the 600th win wouldn't come this season. I am pleased to see Middlebury win, and I guess I got that way from days gone by when they won many more than they lost. I think there is a lot of talent on this team, as there is every year. I don't think it's wrong to wish for more than we've gotten over recent seasons, nor do I feel bad saying that in a discussion forum. Beating good Plattsburgh and Norwich teams in one weekend was impressive, and something to get excited about, yet going 2-3-1 over the next six games after that doesn't bode well for Middlebury to improve in the standings, over even make the playoffs, for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD GUY '61 View Post
                  Yes. The so-called "good old days" when we used to actually look forward to playing Norwich !!
                  I played baseball here at Norwich for coach Forbes.
                  Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
                    I played baseball here at Norwich for coach Forbes.
                    My whole life all I have heard about is my dads coach a Norwich DUKE

Comment

• Re: Nescac 2014-2015

With 4 games to go for each team in the NESCAC, I thought I would conduct some prognostication of the final standings based on the team records over the next 2 weekends.

1. Trinity 3-0-1 (Wins vs Colby, Wes x2 and tie w/ Bowdoin) 32pts
                      2. Williams 3-0-1 (W vs Midd, Ham & Amherst, tie at Midd) 25pts
                      3. Amherst 2-2-0 (W vs Tufts, Midd, Losses to Conn & Williams) 24pts
                      4. Conn College 3-1-0 (W vs Amherst, Ham, Colby, L vs Bowdoin) 22pts
                      5. Bowdoin 3-0-1 (W vs Wes, Conn, Colby, tie vs Trinity) 21pts
                      6. Middlebury 1-2-1 (W vs Ham, L vs Williams, Amherst, tie vs Williams) 15pts (tiebreaker over Ham)
                      7. Hamilton 1-3-0 (W vs Tufts, L vs Conn, Williams, Midd) 15pts
                      8. Tufts 0-3-1 (L vs Ham, Amherst, Bowdoin, tie vs Colby) 9pts (tiebreaker over Colby)
                      9. Colby 0-2-2 (L vs Trinity, Conn, tie vs Wes, Tufts) 9pts
                      10. Wesleyan 0-3-1 (L vs Bowdoin, Trinity x2, tie vs Colby) 3pts

Qaurterfinals
                      Trinity vs Tufts
                      Williams vs Hamilton
                      Amherst vs Middlebury
                      Conn College vs Bowdoin

Bowdoin looks ripe for another title run from the 5th seed.

Comment

I'm trying to watch the Trinity-Bowdoin hockey game tonight (Feb. 13). I OCCASIONALLY get sound but no picture. Does anyone know if this is a recurring problem with the Trinity broadcasts? I've watched Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Southern Maine, and UNE broadcasts this year, and they were all pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                          I'm trying to watch the Trinity-Bowdoin hockey game tonight (Feb. 13). I OCCASIONALLY get sound but no picture. Does anyone know if this is a recurring problem with the Trinity broadcasts? I've watched Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Southern Maine, and UNE broadcasts this year, and they were all pretty good.
                          I was finally able to get picture in the third period. Poor broadcast. Bad camera angles; the announcer sounded like an undergraduate who had had one cup of coffee too many.

It looked like a good, competitive game as far as the offenses were concerned. However, both teams made many defensive errors and the goaltending on both sides was nothing to write home about.

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastBias View Post
                            With 4 games to go for each team in the NESCAC, I thought I would conduct some prognostication of the final standings based on the team records over the next 2 weekends.

1. Trinity 3-0-1 (Wins vs Colby, Wes x2 and tie w/ Bowdoin) 32pts
                            2. Williams 3-0-1 (W vs Midd, Ham & Amherst, tie at Midd) 25pts
                            3. Amherst 2-2-0 (W vs Tufts, Midd, Losses to Conn & Williams) 24pts
                            4. Conn College 3-1-0 (W vs Amherst, Ham, Colby, L vs Bowdoin) 22pts
                            5. Bowdoin 3-0-1 (W vs Wes, Conn, Colby, tie vs Trinity) 21pts
                            6. Middlebury 1-2-1 (W vs Ham, L vs Williams, Amherst, tie vs Williams) 15pts (tiebreaker over Ham)
                            7. Hamilton 1-3-0 (W vs Tufts, L vs Conn, Williams, Midd) 15pts
                            8. Tufts 0-3-1 (L vs Ham, Amherst, Bowdoin, tie vs Colby) 9pts (tiebreaker over Colby)
                            9. Colby 0-2-2 (L vs Trinity, Conn, tie vs Wes, Tufts) 9pts
                            10. Wesleyan 0-3-1 (L vs Bowdoin, Trinity x2, tie vs Colby) 3pts

Qaurterfinals
                            Trinity vs Tufts
                            Williams vs Hamilton
                            Amherst vs Middlebury
                            Conn College vs Bowdoin

Bowdoin looks ripe for another title run from the 5th seed.
                            Soooo..........I went 0-10 tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastBias View Post
                              Soooo..........I went 0-10 tonight?
                              Don't feel bad... it's the NESCAC dude! I have to say that MIDD is on a roll, you might take that into consideration next week
                              from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy d View Post
                                Don't feel bad... it's the NESCAC dude! I have to say that MIDD is on a roll, you might take that into consideration next week
                                On a roll, in seventh place. Two games to go, to see if they can hold 7th, or maybe squeak into 6th. The only good thing is their remaining opponents are above them, so beating both Amherst and Hamilton would help, but not much. They can own the tiebreaker over Hamilton if they beat them, but that's the only one. Well, except for owning them over Wesleyan and Colby. Losing to and tying Tufts could prove ugly in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X