UNH Women's Hockey 2014 - 2015 Looking FORWARD to the game~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Women's Hockey 2014 - 2015 Looking FORWARD to the game~

Time for the next home game tonight vs Quinnipiac....clearly it's early for everyone, and I haven't a clue about the Bobcats....so I'm hoping that this past week in practice, the team worked on getting more familiar with their system....looking forward to a close checking, hard fought game....Cats on top of course, Wildcats that is!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
      Time for the next home game tonight vs Quinnipiac....clearly it's early for everyone, and I haven't a clue about the Bobcats....so I'm hoping that this past week in practice, the team worked on getting more familiar with their system....looking forward to a close checking, hard fought game....Cats on top of course, Wildcats that is!
      The "This Week" article on the main page should give you some good perspective on the Bobcats.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Quinnipiac fan checking in. How was the game other than the score?
        Quinnipiac University '15
        ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
        ECAC Championship: 2016
        NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
        NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
        Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
          Arm... the answer is exactly as you infer. Boys do not spend as much time playing pick-up as when we were kids. But they still do it, and much more than the girls.

I also am glad you brought up video games. I know for the uninitiated it's going to sound crazy, but these games are so realistic that they do teach kids how to play the game. If you talk to any professional player (hockey, football, baseball, basketball), you'll find that many of them play their sports video games in their free time. I know for the older generation, me included, it sounds crazy, but if you actually play them, or watch the kids play them, you'll see what I mean.
          Yeah I made the mistake of playing against my 15 yr old son, nhl13 on xbox. Never again!!!! Talk about embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
            Quinnipiac fan checking in. How was the game other than the score?
            Most of the first 30 minutes was played between the circles. I expected more speed and flow from the Bobcats. UNH, missing several players to injury and personal matters, was even more out of sync than usual offensively. They did a good job of disrupting Quinny early, but a couple of smooth pass and shoot sequences did them in.

Comment

Hux nails it succinctly....other than the Armstrong-Curtis-Mork line, no one skated with anyone they had in previous games, and it showed....like BC, Quinnipiac has speed to spare...after UNH scored on it's 2-1, nicely played by both Mork and Redlick, UNH did seem to get a bounce and dictate play for a few minutes until Quinni returned to it's systematic play and regained the advantage. I thought Redlick played a strong first game of the season, as did Freshman Caylee Forster.....hope that Coach Witt was also impressed....unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so I can't make it up to Dartmouth and see the tenacious Wildcats take the ice again.

Comment

Finland women's national team

Finland's Announcement
                Finland women's national team goes in Canada from 4 to 8.11. played at the four-team tournament, which consisted of thirteen players last winter, the Sochi Olympic team.
                The team's oldest player is 41-year-old Riikka Välilä . The youngest Emma Nuutinen and Ella Viitasuo are Välilää 23 years younger. The first women elected to maaotteluihinsa Summer Ollikainen . Defender Rosa Lindstedt was elected in September women's national league player of the month. Goalkeepers: Meeri Räisänen, SKIF Russia Eveliina Suonpää, Ilves Vilma Vaattovaara, UNH Wildcats USA
                Last edited by DC78-82; 10-28-2014, 07:42 AM. Reason: Taken directly from the Finnish site
                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Re: Finland women's national team

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                  Finland's Announcement
                  Finland women's national team goes in Canada from 4 to 8.11. played at the four-team tournament, which consisted of thirteen players last winter, the Sochi Olympic team.
                  The team's oldest player is 41-year-old Riikka Välilä . The youngest Emma Nuutinen and Ella Viitasuo are Välilää 23 years younger. The first women elected to maaotteluihinsa Summer Ollikainen . Defender Rosa Lindstedt was elected in September women's national league player of the month. Goalkeepers: Meeri Räisänen, SKIF Russia Eveliina Suonpää, Ilves Vilma Vaattovaara, UNH Wildcats USA
                  To translate further: The Finnish women's national team will be in Kamloops, British Columbia from November 4th to the 11th for the Four Nations Cup.

Comment

So tomorrow night is the 10th game of the season.....just over a quarter of the season....are we the team everyone expected? Personally, I love the grit, tenacity and physicality of the team....I had hoped to see more development on the systematic design that Coach Witt brings....I won't nit pick but I hope the video breakdowns will allow the team to see what needs to be addressed....it's to easy to be negative and whine, but there should be improvements thru adjustments and education as we go forward....
                    On another front, majors kudos to Vilma Vaattovaara for being chosen to represent Finland at the Four Nations Tournament next week! While she has a great time next week, it will be nice to see Ashley Wilkes and Marie Eve Jean get a chance to play....Vilma's been so steady for the team, this is the only way for them to get on the ice! Fair winds and calm seas as you travel Vi.....
                    C'mon Wildcats!

Comment

So who is going to be there tomorrow night? I should be traveling and hope to keep my streak alive.

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                        So who is going to be there tomorrow night? I should be traveling and hope to keep my streak alive.
                        See you there! I wondered if you'd venture over the border on a school night

And your streak needs to be broken!
                        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                          And your streak needs to be broken!
                          Blasphemy!

Comment

So today at Lake Whitt, UNH played like they just might be turning the page....showing signs of some systematic play, they scored a third as many goals as they have this season....skating as hard as they have all year, today's difference had some of the lines getting in synch, with some nice play making on the pp, as well as having bodies where they need to be for rebounds and bounces....when was the last time a defenseman scored a short handed goal, being the third man in! So sure we got some bounces finally but we all know you make your breaks, and today UNH skated well enough to bring home the W.....btw, not that she cares in the least, but I believe Jonna Curtis had the hat trick today while being credited for just one goal....I'm anxious to check the highlight reel.....well done Cats!!

Comment

Wilkes Honored as Women's Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week

Nov 10, 2014
                              WAKEFIELD, Mass. – Sophomore goaltender Ashley Wilkes (North Pole, Alaska) of the University of New Hampshire women's ice hockey team was named Women's Hockey East Association Defensive Player of the Week on Monday.

Wilkes stopped 21 of 22 shots for a .955 save percentage that backboned UNH to its first league win, a 5-1 victory against the University of Vermont at the Whittemore Center on Saturday, Nov. 8. Wilkes shut out the Catamounts in both the second and third periods with seven saves in both stanzas. She held UVM scoreless the final 50:23 of the game on 18 saves, and the only goal against came on a UVM power play.

In two games (both starts) this season, Wilkes has a 1-1-0 record with a 2.02 GAA and .922 save percentage.

This is the second career award for Wilkes, who received the same accolade last November.

New Hampshire returns to action this weekend with a home-and-home series against top-ranked Boston College. The teams face off Saturday, Nov. 15 at Conte Forum and conclude the season series Nov. 16 at the Whittemore Center. Both games begin at 2 p.m.

HOCKEY EAST WEEKLY TOP PERFORMERS

Jonna Curtis, UNH (So., F; Elk River, Minnesota) Posted career-high three-point outing (1g, 2a) in helping UNH to its first Hockey East win over Vermont, 5-1.

Julia Fedeski, UNH (Fr., D; Algonquin Highlands, Ontario) Notched two points, including the short-handed game-winning tally, in the Wildcats' first league win.

- See more at: http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/wome....gNMym6TY.dpuf

Comment

I personally thought Fedeski had Rookie of the Week locked, but she got it in my mind with a a game winning goal, and an assist. Her game winner was a shorty, which you don't see all too often on a defenseman's list of accomplishments.
                                Last edited by DC78-82; 11-10-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X