UNH Women's Hockey 2014 - 2015 Looking FORWARD to the game~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Women's Hockey 2014 - 2015 Looking FORWARD to the game~

With the opening game less than a week away, and expectations unknown, let's keep this thread about the team and their journey this season. Know anything about our new players? Do tell!
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Re: UNH Women's Hockey 2014 - 2015 Looking FORWARD to the game~

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
    With the opening game less than a week away, and expectations unknown, let's keep this thread about the team and their journey this season. Know anything about our new players? Do tell!
    I have very limited knowledge of these kids. With that said, I like to think I can spot talent, and I'll be the first to throw down the prediction that Brooke Avery will be an impact player for UNH for years to come. Schlagel is big, solid and can skate on the defenseive end as well.
    Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 09-22-2014, 12:13 PM. Reason: Schlagel is D I was thinking of

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
      I have very limited knowledge of these kids. With that said, I like to think I can spot talent, and I'll be the first to throw down the prediction that Brooke Avery will be an impact player for UNH for years to come. Praus is big, solid and can skate on the defenseive end as well.
      I've heard good things as well. For some reason, the bios of most of the newcomers are up on UNH's website, but some are omitted, not that a bio is a big help as a predictor of success at the next level. I have found that watching the newcomers once or twice at events like Beantown or NAHA Labor Day don't often lead me to a good conclusion of how a player will fit in. I'm guessing some of the Minny people might have insight on how they compare to other incoming HE recruits from the State of Hockey?

Any speculation as to next week's roster against Maine? With so many to choose from, it will be interesting to see who makes that trip (and dresses).

I see that newly appointed Captain Hannah Armstrong in on the list of "Will Not Attend" Canada's (ahem) precisely timed Festival. Perhaps she thought it best to stay south of the border and lead her team into '14-'15.
      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
        There's no way Fedeski's only 5'10" as listed on the UNH roster....was listed at 5'11" for Toronto Aeros 2 years ago and she's grown!

Besides providing formidable size on D, she's physically strong (former HS discus and javelin champ) and capable of adding some offence too...scored 13 points in 37 games of PWHL league play last season. As importantly, she's a great kid in the dressing room, and unlikely to have the tough transition to moving away from home that many kids do as freshman: she was a boarding student at a top Toronto prep school.

Comment

Glad to hear that we'll have some strengths on the blue line....with Jesse Ryan's experience, I'm hoping the D can hold it's own and allow the forwards more of a chance to be in the offensive zone....not sure of the percentage but with graduation, we've lost much of our scoring punch, so if the forwards can spend time cycling low, and going to the net rather then helping lug the puck out of their own zone, it can only be of help......to answer you DC, I know one Minny parent that is very positive in looking to a successful year with the addition of this year's incoming class....FWIW, I'm on the record somewhere here, that UNH will make home ice for this years playoffs! Time will tell whether I'm too much the homer or an educated observer....yea, right......
          Good luck Cats! Enjoy the season, play hard, and make it happen!

Comment

The MN transfer from SLU Margo Lund will have added impact. She was a good player in HS and suffered an injury at SLU but now 100%.

Comment

A bit off topic, but I wanted to put this put here to raise awareness of a team I didn't even know existed until this morning!

N.H. Cats play on while seeking club-sport status

By John Doyle
              jdoyle@fosters.com
              Thursday, September 25, 2014

ROCHESTER — Abby Angelosanto wasn’t just looking for a place to play hockey when she enrolled at the University of New Hampshire as a freshman in 2013. She was looking for a new lease on her hockey life.

She got one with the N.H. Cats, the unofficial women’s club-hockey team at UNH. The sophomore English major played varsity hockey for Exeter High School, where she injured her ulnar nerve during a game against Oyster River (at the Whittemore Center, incidentally). She played through the injury to finish her high school career, but she was finally sidelined for her freshman year in college. Now she’s back on the ice with the N.H. Cats.

“I wanted to get back,” Angelosanto said. “Now I’m finally able to play. It feels amazing.”

Angelosanto is one of about 29 players slated to suit up this season with the N.H. Cats, who call the Rochester Ice Arena home and kick off the season Friday night against the club team from the UMass-Amherst.

“It’s a good atmosphere,” Angelosanto said about her new team. “Everyone’s really friendly in the locker room. We all have a lot of fun. Everybody’s just really nice. I like it.”

The N.H. Cats were founded last year by Julia Hird of York, Maine. An avid hockey player who was a member of the York High School girls varsity team, Hird wanted to play club hockey when she enrolled at UNH her freshman year. Along with her father, Jeffrey Hird, a long-time youth coach, they took on the task of forming their own club with the ultimate goal of making it a full-fledged member of the club-sport community at UNH.

Jeffrey Hird is the head coach of the N.H. Cats, one of three volunteers on the coaching staff. He said playing hockey with the N.H. Cats is fun and rewarding, but not glamorous.

“They have to travel on the weekends,” Hird said. “They have to be ready to go. They have a lot of weekend time taken away from them. But I think they do it because they want to do it, not because they have to. This isn’t their job. It’s an outlet. So they can continue to play a sport they learned and love.”

The N.H. Cats are unofficial because despite their roster consisting of only UNH students, the team has yet to be recognized by the university as a sanctioned club sport. Therefore, using “UNH” in the team’s name is off limits for now, as is access to the Whittemore Center ice and university-funded transportation.

“You have to have a lot of things in place,” Coach Hird said about attaining official club-sport status. “It’s a matter of timing. We meet all the requirements, and these girls meet all the academic requirements.”

Paige Hardtke, a senior chemical engineering major, played hockey at Holderness School before enrolling at UNH. She was thrilled to have the opportunity to play club hockey starting with her junior year.

“I knew coming to UNH I wouldn’t really have the opportunity (to play club hockey),” Hardtke said. “So when this came along, it was really exciting. It’s a great group of girls. It’s a lot more fun than what I’d expected it to be.”

Hardtke said the level the N.H. Cats play at is comparable to the high-level girls prep-school hockey she played at Holderness.

“We have a lot of prep-school girls on this team,” Hardtke said. “The leagues we’re in this year will be a lot different from what we played last year. I’m excited to see how we can play with them and see how it goes.”

The N.H. Cats are a member of two leagues — the Independent Women’s Club Hockey League (IWCHL) and the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA). The Cats are an ACHA Division II team, but has a few ACHA Division I teams on the schedule, such as UMass-Amherst, Rhode Island and Northeastern.

Last year’s team went 9-3-1 but did not belong to a league and therefore did not play in any postseason tournaments. In total, the Cats will play between 22 and 26 games this season and their farthest road trip will be to Westfield, Mass.

The team applied for club-sport status last year but were not selected. UNH accepts only one new club sport a year, according to Coach Hird. He said the team has applied again this year for status, working with the university to meet the criteria for acceptance.

Forty women tried out for 29 slots for this year’s club, and the team features five seniors, four juniors, 12 sophomores and eight freshmen. Plus, according to Jeffrey Hird, the team has already received inquiries from current high-school seniors looking to play club hockey when they enroll at UNH next fall.

The N.H. Cats’ complete schedule has yet to be finalized, but the team will play twice at UMass this weekend, once on Friday night and again on Saturday morning.

http://nhcats.wi*****/nh-cats
              Last edited by DC78-82; 09-25-2014, 07:44 AM. Reason: Added website

Comment

GAME DAY! Good luck UNH Women's Hockey in your opener... BEAT MAINE!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

You got that right Hockeyref! Not only a game day but new beginnings for our storied program.....all of us that bleed Blue and White might have noticed that UNH has it's first night football game today....and we wish only the best for Seano, but honestly, given today's game vs the Black Bears, who cares? Anxious to see the style that Coach Hilary will offer, let alone the configuration of the new team! Good luck Wildcats...given that the New Year just began, may we all enjoy a healthy, successful 2014/2015 campaign.....go Cats!

Comment

Was just over at the RIT thread catching up on tomorrow night's opponent....should be quite the challenge for our Wildcats....given the strides that were made from the Maine game to the Ohio St. Games, I'm hoping that we continue improving and learning what Coach Witt installs for our system....but given the never say die attitude shown last week, if we can play with a lead it might be all we need....let's hope so, for our first win of the young season....c'mon you Wildcats!!

Comment

Congrats to Coach Witt for her first win (and tie) with UNH this weekend.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Congrats to Coach Witt for her first win (and tie) with UNH this weekend.
                        Undefeated season

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                          Undefeated season
                          It's a couple of weeks late for that.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks guys for finally posting back here in Wildcat Country....was thinking I was the only one aside from DC enjoying this teams play! Granted we're only 1-3-1' but given the past year, and the obstacles to overcome, this past weekends performance was very gratifying....taken in total, the team has made very nice strides each week....I'm so,looking forward to this weekend's home games! Now if I can memorize the roster by then......

Comment

Hockey East's D POTW and ROTW!

Vaattovaara and Boucher Receive Weekly Accolades from Women's Hockey East Association

WAKEFIELD, Mass. – Vilma Vaattovaara (Veikkola, Finland) and Amy Boucher (Edmonton, Alberta) of the University of New Hampshire women's ice hockey team were named Defensive Player of the Week and Rookie of the Week, respectively, by the Women's Hockey East Association on Monday.

The duo propelled UNH to a 1-0-1 record last week with a 1-0 victory at Rochester Institute of Technology (Oct. 10) and 2-2 tie at Syracuse University (Oct. 11).

Vaattovaara stopped 70 of 72 shots for a .972 save percentage and 0.96 GAA. The junior goaltender recorded her first career shutout with a 32-save effort at RIT during which she held the Tigers scoreless on eight power plays with 16 saves. Vaattovaara then made a season-high 38 saves at SU; she stopped all seven shots in the third period and three in overtime; she also tied her benchmark for saves in a period with 17 in the second stanza.

In five games (all starts) this season, Vaattovaara has a 1-3-1 record with a 1.79 GAA and .945 save percentage.

Boucher, a freshman forward, scored her second goal of the season when she tied the score, 1-1, at 9:52 of the first period at Syracuse. She finished the game with a team-high six shots and a plus/minus rating of +1. Boucher recorded one shot and an even rating at RIT.

In five games this season, Boucher has two points, both on goals. She ranks second on the team in goals and is tied for second in points.

New Hampshire returns to action Friday, Oct. 17 (7 p.m.) for its home opener against Rensselaer. The Wildcats also play host to league rival Boston College on Oct. 19 (2 p.m.).

Comment

Working...
                              X