X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014-2015 Division I Scores & Results Thread

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Yeah, the Wildcats looked like a team that had a lot of practice at attacking but not so much practice at defending. They almost couldn't believe they had lost when the game ended. A lot more shots than the opponent, but it is hard to win if the opponent scores on 20% of its SOG.
    I think most of the 5300 fans in the DECC that day had a hard time believing it too, including me. "Shock" is not too strong a word to use to describe the feeling that was experienced by most, not the least of which was UNH. I can still see the looks on some of their faces...complete disbelief...it was their worst nightmare come true.

SOG: UNH 43 - UMD 15!

UMD 3 - UNH 2 final.

UNH outplayed the 'Dogs by a long shot...they were a relentless attacking machine...looked like they had 8 skaters out there for most of the game. But Martin was up to the task and Fridfinnson bagged two goals. Your 20% is exactly correct.

And to think that the NCAA never offered this game for sale on DVD...then again, ditto for the 2010 barnburner triple OT Championship Game between Cornell and UMD at Ridder (as we've discussed in the past).
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-23-2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
      How does Mercyhurst get dragged into this debate?!
      Not to mention, that makes no sense. If playing a weak schedule and winning makes you a D3 school, then why not include BU and QU??
      The whole comment that I was responding to made no sense in the first place. I was making that point by using the same lack of logic in another example.

My sense was that the poster was suggesting Yale was picking cupcakes to play because they were afraid of playing better teams and losing. Mercyhurst was chosen as a reference simply because it is documented to have the weakest strength of schedule of all D1 teams this season, while Yale's overall strength of schedule is in the middle of the pack. Furthermore, while Mercyhurst has a good record, it also has still lost 2 and tied 1 against cupcakes and has not yet played any ranked teams at all. Both BU and QU have played ranked teams.
      Last edited by Trillium; 11-23-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

You couldn't figure that out while they stood and watched BC skate? What, did you think that BC was really that good? Oh, you did. How cute.

With the way the RPI works, the worst opponent to play is a strong team from an underperforming conference. You play Mercyhurst, you also get a large dose of its opponents' records, and last year, both Lindenwood and Penn State were very weak. This year, Lindenwood is a little better, Robert Morris is much worse, and Syracuse is all over the map. IMO, the two worst opponents for a contending team to schedule based on results up to now are Mercyhurst and Boston College. They will be hard to beat, and if you do, you won't get a big reward in the criteria for doing so. If you play them and lose, it kills you in the PairWise. Better to schedule Sacred Heart and not risk anything, given the Ratings Percentage Index is too dumb to know the difference.
        I agree somewhat...often comments seem to suggest Mercyhurst does not want to play top teams. That is NOT the case.
        The team that didn't want to travel to Erie because they "couldn't afford it"....was ranked then and is currently ranked in the top 4
        It's risky...any ranked team making the trip and losing might mean all predictions about who belongs where goes for Sh@$

Pairwise..polls... RPI...all the mathematical twists that one can conjure are a mess
        CHA may be a small conference but I predict that it will not be long before Hurst, RIT and Penn State are going to be
        more that many teams had bargained for
        Hurst has proven for years that they are and will always strive to be contenders....Great school, outstanding program and prime location.
        RIT and Penn State...excellent academic institutions, RIT also in a great location...Penn State facilities and $$$$$$
        Last edited by myStuff; 11-23-2014, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by myStuff View Post
          ...often comments seem to suggest Mercyhurst does not want to play top teams. That is NOT the case.
          IMO, from day one, Mike Sisti has been willing to schedule any team. In the early years, the problem was that Mercyhurst was largely unknown, so the Lakers were harder to market to a fan base than a team that wasn't as good but was a bigger name. The weak schedule over the years has been more a product of the CHA (which has made big strides in recent years) and that a lot of potential opponents can get a comparable opponent for a cheaper trip. Most coaches like to compete, but the system really discourages playing a rigorous schedule. You're better off sweeping a bad team than splitting with a good one. Kudos to Doug Derraugh for keeping MU on Cornell's schedule for so long.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Gophers 4, Huskies 0 after two. SOG 31-12.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Gophers 4, Huskies 0 after two. SOG 31-12.
              Final was 5-0. High school scoring phenom Kelly Pannek had a breakout game for the Gophers with three goals and was named the No. 1 star. Kate Schipper had a goal and an assist and was named the No. 2 star - nice to see players not on the first line leading the way offensively. And congrats to Amanda Leveille who stopped all of the Huskies 19 shots to earn the shutout and the No. 3 star.

http://collegehockeystats.net/1415/boxes/wminstc1.n24
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

After two:
                Mercyhurst 2 Colgate 0
                BC 3 Yale 0
                Quinnipiac 1 Princeton 0
                Last edited by bc6696; 11-25-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Finals...

BC 4 Yale 0
                  QU 2 Princeton 0
                  Mercy 3 Colgate 0

3 shutouts - Bad evening for ECAC, huh? except QU of course

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                    Bad evening for ECAC, huh?
                    Not really -- lost a couple games most expected that they'd lose.

Comment

Not really -- lost a couple games most expected that they'd lose.
                      I meant it was bad because of 3 shutouts.

BC had 56 shots!
                      Mercyhurst had 3 goals on 21 shots.
                      Princeton gave Laden her best workout yet. 22 saves.

Comment

Refs in the Yale game were just awful, and I never say that. It cheapens the win. But when someone punches one of our girls in the face and nothing happens, or a Yale player gets PUT IN THE BOX and 2 minutes gets put on the board and then 10 seconds later gets taken out and the explanation is that the ref 'mistakenly' called a penalty, I might raise an eyebrow.

Having said all that Leonoff is a superstar and I hope she's alright.

Also I met Trillium! Yay!
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

The trumpet sounded most pristine coming over Yale's stream of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            Refs in the Yale game were just awful, and I never say that. It cheapens the win. But when someone punches one of our girls in the face and nothing happens, or a Yale player gets PUT IN THE BOX and 2 minutes gets put on the board and then 10 seconds later gets taken out and the explanation is that the ref 'mistakenly' called a penalty, I might raise an eyebrow.

Having said all that Leonoff is a superstar and I hope she's alright.

Also I met Trillium! Yay!
                            So did I! Hi Trillium!

And I agree with Grant. There was the time when the Yale player punched Haley McLean in the face (presumably someone had got the "it doesn't count as a foul if it's on Haley" memo and applied it to the wrong Haley). Then there was the time when Kate Leary tried to stuff in a loose puck in front of the goalie, one of the Yale players literally grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her onto the ice, and the result was matching minors. Apart from that though it was a great game for BC fans, with a lot of the things we like to see: a great goal from a supporting player (in this case, a cannon from Meghan Grieves), a virtuoso unassisted goal from Skarupa, Emily Field making her way through a 1-on-2 to get a goal of her own, 100% physical commitment from Alex Carpenter etc.

Good to get a chance to see Phoebe Staenz in person too. That kid's dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
                              So did I! Hi Trillium!

And I agree with Grant. There was the time when the Yale player punched Haley McLean in the face (presumably someone had got the "it doesn't count as a foul if it's on Haley" memo and applied it to the wrong Haley). Then there was the time when Kate Leary tried to stuff in a loose puck in front of the goalie, one of the Yale players literally grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her onto the ice, and the result was matching minors.
                              This discussion reminded me of the penalty my daughter took two weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPM5d6maUto
                              She is in the dark jersey in the bottom half of screen. The play initially resulted in coincendental minors, after a discussion the refs gave #7 (my D) a 2 min minor and the other player 2+2+10 (so I wasn't too upset)

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
                                This discussion reminded me of the penalty my daughter took two weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPM5d6maUto
                                She is in the dark jersey in the bottom half of screen. The play initially resulted in coincendental minors, after a discussion the refs gave #7 (my D) a 2 min minor and the other player 2+2+10 (so I wasn't too upset)
                                What was the two minute minor for?

Comment

Working...
                                X