Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodies

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodie

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    wut
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Nothing to see, so move along.

Comment

• Re: Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodie

I've also been having an internal debate between Wisconsin and Minnesota, but I've finally come to the decision to move the Gophers ahead of the Badgers this week. I had the Badgers in the No. 2 spot ever since the Gophers' disappointing one point weekend against Bemidji State. Even though they've won nine in row since then, they haven't been able to generate more than five goals of offense in any of those games. This led me to question their lack of scoring punch as of late, especially considering that those nine games were all against unranked teams. But after witnessing both games this weekend's offensive outburst I've put those concerns aside, at least for now...they were clicking on all cylinders. The 17 goals in two games - while not giving up anything - coupled with their earlier head-to-head sweep of the Badgers were enough for me to nudge the Gophers ahead....but these two teams still are very close IMO.

I am also moving BU up, mainly because my previous mid-pack teams stumbled a bit (other than the Beavers, who did beat MN-State twice, but not very convincingly). Also, in moving the Terriers up I'm assuming they'll handle the Friars fairly easily tomorrow evening:

1. Boston College
      2. Minnesota
      3. Wisconsin
      4. Boston University
      5. Quinnipiac
      6. Bemidji State
      7. Minnesota-Duluth
      8. Harvard
      9. Cornell
      10. Mercyhurst

Also receiving consideration:
      Clarkson
      North Dakota
      St. Lawrence
      Last edited by D2D; 12-07-2014, 07:00 PM.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I've also been having an internal debate between Wisconsin and Minnesota, but I've finally come to the decision to move the Gophers ahead of the Badgers this week. I had the Badgers in the No. 2 spot ever since the Gophers' disappointing one point weekend against Bemidji State. Even though they've won nine in row since then, they haven't been able to generate more than five goals of offense in any of those games. This led me to question their lack of scoring punch as of late, especially considering that those nine games were all against unranked teams. But after witnessing both games this weekend's offensive outburst I've put those concerns aside, at least for now...they were clicking on all cylinders. The 17 goals in two games - while not giving up anything - coupled with their earlier head-to-head sweep of the Badgers were enough for me to nudge the Gophers ahead....but these two teams still are very close IMO.
        We'll get a better idea shortly after play resumes in January. Should be a good one.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

There are a lot of really good games right after the break. I don't have a clue what to think about BU but that should become clear pretty quickly.

I hope we pound them into the ground.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

1 Boston College
            2 Minnesota
            3 Wisconsin
            4 Quinnipiac
            5 Boston University
            6 Mercyhurst
            7 Bemidji
            7 UMD
            9 Harvard
            10 Cornell

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

9 Minnesota-Duluth -- Only one in this group to drop a game this weekend, so they are at the bottom.
              Except for they didn't drop a game? They tied and got a shootout win and then won the next game

Comment

....but Wisco didn't impress at all...
                You must not have watched the games, then.

Outshot UND 48-15 and 41-21. Bottled up UND pretty darn well, and ran into a couple very good goalies playing well.

I thought the Badgers looked just great this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  Its not just you but this keeps coming up. Why is UMD 6 & Bemidji 8 when the 2 split & BSU beat MN, which UMD could not?
                  As for my reasoning: what this person said.

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
                  Well, UMD is currently 3rd in the WCHA with Bemidji 5th. Bulldogs sweep OSU where OSU swept Bemidji. The two teams are very very close but I give UMD the edge because BSU hasn't had to play games every weekend. I think all of their bye weeks are working heavily in their favor with a bye week before they played Wisconsin and before they played UMD. With them playing almost every week for the next 6 weeks, it will be a test to see if they can actually compete week after week. We'll find out in 5 weeks when UMD and BSU face off again. UMD has come from behind to win (including SO wins) or tie (UConn) in 7 games. You can't count out a team that finds the way to win with their backs against the wall
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Sorry I meant RE: UMD that they were the only one with a blemish on the weekend with the tie.

And I did not watch the Wisco games. But relative to Minnesota, needing OT to beat NoDak is not impressive. I still have Wisco 2nd though.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      You must not have watched the games, then.

Outshot UND 48-15 and 41-21. Bottled up UND pretty darn well, and ran into a couple very good goalies playing well.

I thought the Badgers looked just great this weekend.
                      I concur. The only bummer is they were 0- on the pp.

I will say that at this point UW/UM/BC are as close in my head as ever before. I think the WCHA is by far the best conference and obviously my ranking indicate that.

1 UW
                      2 UM
                      3 BC
                      4 BSU
                      5 UMD
                      6 Q
                      7 BU
                      8 Clarkson
                      9 Mercy
                      10 Hawvawd
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
                        Well, UMD is currently 3rd in the WCHA with Bemidji 5th.
                        Bemidji isn't really in 5th place; it only looks that way because hockey leagues arrange their standings in a dumb way. The Beavers have one fewer point than North Dakota does while having played four fewer games. By any reasonable measure they're in 4th rather than 5th. There's a pretty good chance that seven days from now they'll be in 3rd place, because they're five points behind UMD and the two games they have in hand are against St. Cloud.

Comment

Intercepted communication headed for the North Pole revealing what the top ten team's coaching staffs wish for Christmas.

1. BC - Cupcake Wars on Blu-ray and butts in seats. P.S. Staples "That was easy" button.
                          2. Minnesota - Shootout Goals for Dummies and a Zamboni that has better water regulation. P.S. A verbal commitment from Sarah Potomak's sister.
                          3. Wisconsin - Instructional video on how to hypnotize rodents and Kringles from O&H bakery in Racine. http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/everyd...FcRDMgodZVIADQ P.S. Cherry bombs for gopher holes
                          4. Quinnipiac - Cloning kit for Badger rejects and a skating treadmill. P.S. An official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle.
                          5. BU - Alex Carpenter and Haley Skarupa voodoo dolls with pins and a skating treadmill. P.S. Butts in seats
                          6. UMD - Big Ten women's hockey conference and a skating treadmill. P.S. Ricola throat lozenges
                          7. Bemidji - The Little Engine That Could book and a skating treadmill. P.S. Good tickets to the Paul Bunyan Playhouse. http://www.thechieftheater.com/
                          8. Mercyhurst - Self awareness and a skating treadmill P.S. Pirate corkscrew http://www.gentsupplyco.com/Pirate-Corkscrew
                          9. Harvard - A team psychologist to help over come fear of eagles and the George R.R. Martin World of fire and Ice book. P.S. A gold medal.
                          10. Clarkson - Another Wisconsin alumni to join the coaching staff and skating treadmill. P.S. A GoPro Hero4 HD camera for the goalie helmet.

A skating treadmill is evidently this years tickle me elmo.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                            Intercepted communication headed for the North Pole revealing what the top ten team's coaching staffs wish for Christmas.

1. BC - Cupcake Wars on Blu-ray and butts in seats. P.S. Staples "That was easy" button.
                            2. Minnesota - Shootout Goals for Dummies and a Zamboni that has better water regulation. P.S. A verbal commitment from Sarah Potomak's sister.
                            3. Wisconsin - Instructional video on how to hypnotize rodents and Kringles from O&H bakery in Racine. http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/everyd...FcRDMgodZVIADQ P.S. Cherry bombs for gopher holes
                            4. Quinnipiac - Cloning kit for Badger rejects and a skating treadmill. P.S. An official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle.
                            5. BU - Alex Carpenter and Haley Skarupa voodoo dolls with pins and a skating treadmill. P.S. Butts in seats
                            6. UMD - Big Ten women's hockey conference and a skating treadmill. P.S. Ricola throat lozenges
                            7. Bemidji - The Little Engine That Could book and a skating treadmill. P.S. Good tickets to the Paul Bunyan Playhouse. http://www.thechieftheater.com/
                            8. Mercyhurst - Self awareness and a skating treadmill P.S. Pirate corkscrew http://www.gentsupplyco.com/Pirate-Corkscrew
                            9. Harvard - A team psychologist to help over come fear of eagles and the George R.R. Martin World of fire and Ice book. P.S. A gold medal.
                            10. Clarkson - Another Wisconsin alumni to join the coaching staff and skating treadmill. P.S. A GoPro Hero4 HD camera for the goalie helmet.

A skating treadmill is evidently this years tickle me elmo.
                            Oh my God alol

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              Bemidji isn't really in 5th place; it only looks that way because hockey leagues arrange their standings in a dumb way. The Beavers have one fewer point than North Dakota does while having played four fewer games. By any reasonable measure they're in 4th rather than 5th. There's a pretty good chance that seven days from now they'll be in 3rd place, because they're five points behind UMD and the two games they have in hand are against St. Cloud.
                              Add to that is the fact that head-to-head is supposed to matter. That is why MN would rank ahead of WI. BSU has a better record against TOC so forget about record against SCSU.

Comment

needing OT to beat NoDak is not impressive.
                                and then what is a tie against St. Lawrence?

beating UND in overtime is more impressive than anything BC has done

Comment

Working...
                                X