Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodies

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Nice chart, but UW should be red, not yellow.
    Haha -- Excel assigned the colors, and I don't care enough to go in and change all twenty something each week
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Re: Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodie

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
      You read my mind! So now I get to make my next point, which is what I think about when ranking teams. I rank based on my guess of which team I think will, right now, win a 5 game series on neutral ice against any of the teams below it. The #1 team will win that series against all teams, #2 will win that series against all but the #1 team, and so on. So the CHA conundrum is irrelevant to my ranking. I won't put a CHA team in the top 8 because it satisfies the selection committee's paradigm. I also admit that I have no faith in my predictive abilities when I get to the back half of the top 10!

Is that the consensus on how everyone ranks the Top 10? Share your view... I think it would be interesting and instructive to understand our different approaches.
      ultimately the only ranking that matters is the one that selects the NCAA tournament. Would UMD or BU be happy to be ranked above Mecyhurst only to be left out of the dance and not being able to prove on the ice they deserve to be there? Which team do you suppose is happier with their season last year, MN who led the polls all year or Clarkson, who only lead after the season was over?
      IMO, the only valid purpose of any poll is to select who and how the final season tournament is conducted. If you want to settle bragging rights of which team is better, the only valid way is on the ice.
      Last edited by pokechecker; 11-20-2014, 02:14 PM. Reason: Clint Eastwood: Opinions are like a sphincter, everyone has one

Comment

• Re: Fun With Numbers '14-'15: USCHO Posters Poll, Pairwise What-Ifs, and Other Goodie

You read my mind! So now I get to make my next point, which is what I think about when ranking teams. I rank based on my guess of which team I think will, right now, win a 5 game series on neutral ice against any of the teams below it. The #1 team will win that series against all teams, #2 will win that series against all but the #1 team, and so on. So the CHA conundrum is irrelevant to my ranking. I won't put a CHA team in the top 8 because it satisfies the selection committee's paradigm. I also admit that I have no faith in my predictive abilities when I get to the back half of the top 10!

Is that the consensus on how everyone ranks the Top 10? Share your view... I think it would be interesting and instructive to understand our different approaches.
        Also my approach.

Comment

I go based on kind of a hybrid of game results so far plus what I think will happen in future games.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            ultimately the only ranking that matters is the one that selects the NCAA tournament. Would UMD or BU be happy to be ranked above Mecyhurst only to be left out of the dance and not being able to prove on the ice they deserve to be there? Which team do you suppose is happier with their season last year, MN who led the polls all year or Clarkson, who only lead after the season was over?
            IMO, the only valid purpose of any poll is to select who and how the final season tournament is conducted. If you want to settle bragging rights of which team is better, the only valid way is on the ice.
            So you're compelled to put at least one member of every conference in the top 8 regardless of merit?

Comment

So you're compelled to put at least one member of every conference in the top 8 regardless of merit?
              I think it's an Op-Ed making the point that only the ranking that gives eight teams an opportunity to win the championship ultimately matters. There are of course instances of questionable merit in those rankings as well. I doubt the questionable merit matters to any among the eight.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                I think it's an Op-Ed making the point that only the ranking that gives eight teams an opportunity to win the championship ultimately matters. There are of course instances of questionable merit in those rankings as well. I doubt the questionable merit matters to any among the eight.
                not true if a team earns an autobid that isn't among the top 8 thereby removing #8 from the tournament
                ...or another removing #7

didn't that occur with BU last year, they weren't #8 but they won the Hockey Easy tournament, thereby getting in and bumping someone else from the tournament?
                Last edited by pokechecker; 11-21-2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  not true if a team earns an autobid that isn't among the top 8 thereby removing #8 from the tournament
                  ...or another removing #7
                  How ya figure? You think the autobid team among the final eight is sorry for that ranked team on the outside? My "among the eight" remark refers to the eight in the NCAA brackets.
                  Last edited by brookyone; 11-21-2014, 04:32 PM.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

jeeze, and I thought you were the last remaining MN fan that didn't need everything explained and clarified

you suppose whoever was ranked #8 was a little disappointed BU bumped them from the tourney?

if UND had defeated MN in the WCHA tourney last year, they would have been in and another top 8 team would have had to be dropped from the tourney
                    ask yourself which format has more excitement all the way through the tournament, the NCAA college or MN high school?
                    I've been to section semifinals in MN HS that have had more excitement than the NCAA final
                    one and done, there is no better way

Comment

Can someone remind me who the D1 independents are?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        Can someone remind me who the D1 independents are?
                        Sacred Heart
                        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                          Although in DIII leagues (not independent), I believe Holy Cross is DI and St Anselm, St Michaels and Franklin Pierce are DII.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                            Although in DIII leagues (not independent), I believe Holy Cross is DI and St Anselm, St Michaels and Franklin Pierce are DII.
                            Thanks.

This all makes no sense. lol

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              Thanks.

This all makes no sense. lol
                              I think it is all driven by the classification of other sports in their athletic departments. Nobody plans around women's ice hockey, strange as that seems to me.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It's all very silly. Yale's win over Sacred Heart is actually helping Yale's RPI. I assumed it would be one of those "Bad wins" that gets thrown out, but since those D1/D2 teams only play each other, their opponent's winning percentage/oppopp winning percentage is actually good.

Ridiculous.
                                Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 11-22-2014, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X