Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014-2015 Minnesota Women's Hockey: The Maroon & Gold Strike Back!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014-2015 Minnesota Women's Hockey: The Maroon & Gold Strike Back!

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    The days when a team could just show up and win are over. The Gophers need everybody in uniform to bring it. I remember the season opener six years ago versus Robert Morris. If you spot any team three goals, then you're in big trouble, so you'd best come prepared to play.
    Flickertails last year.

Minnesota didn't exactly come out and set the world on fire in their first series last year so...
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/womens...y-championship
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I am very interested in seeing what crowd actually shows up.

In interactions with the ticket office and comments on this board I have heard that season tickets are pretty much sold out between the blue lines.

While I would enthusiastically applaud this if true, I completely doubt it.

I expect that those seats directly in front of and directly behind me and directly to my left and to my right will be filled by a random and eclectic group some of whom will actually hold the tickets for those seats but most of whom will be people looking to sit near the red line with general admission tickets.
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
          You missed the other eight Minnesota natives on the Penn State team.
          I admit that this is true but apologize only a little. To the parents and home town fans of the other eight Penn State student-athletes I am sorry for the omission.

But for most readers of this particular thread I apologize not. I believe most of the regulars here are aware of my affinity for the Raiders.
          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Jason Gonzalez at the Strib: With less pressure, U women's hockey hopes to have more fun
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
              I am very interested in seeing what crowd actually shows up.

In interactions with the ticket office and comments on this board I have heard that season tickets are pretty much sold out between the blue lines.

While I would enthusiastically applaud this if true, I completely doubt it.

I expect that those seats directly in front of and directly behind me and directly to my left and to my right will be filled by a random and eclectic group some of whom will actually hold the tickets for those seats but most of whom will be people looking to sit near the red line with general admission tickets.
              last year the season ticket holders as a group seem to be the least likely to show up, it was often the most sparsely populated section at game time, then filled in, were these late coming season ticket holders or GA people wanting a better seat?

if you don't believe the seats between the blue lines are sold out, try buying one, the number available you could count on your hands last I looked, which was a day ago. There may be none now. At $99 bucks, even if you show up for 60% of the games it's still a better deal than buying individually. And you can always give or sell the ones you don't go to.

one other thing, some season ticket holders do not sit in their seats, preferring to sit by others, or standing, which some would argue is the best seat in the house.

and people might be buying season tickets in hopes that they get priority for the Final Four, which I don't know will be true or not
              Last edited by pokechecker; 10-03-2014, 07:55 AM. Reason: ebola: coming to a neighborhood near you

Comment

Got a source that says Sidney Peters is making her first start today for the Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                  Got a source that says Sidney Peters is making her first start today for the Gophers!
                  Your source was good, and Miss Peters, in her first game as a Golden Gopher, records a shutout, and she looked solid and totally in control while doing it. Congrats!
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Your source was good, and Miss Peters, in her first game as a Golden Gopher, records a shutout, and she looked solid and totally in control while doing it. Congrats!
                    Agreed on Peters. I was impressed with her. I also liked how Sydney Baldwin handled herself. She looked good paired with Ramsey.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I thought all of the freshmen looked good. Nina Rodgers may be the answer to how we're going to replace some of the backchecking prowess that graduated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        I thought all of the freshmen looked good. Nina Rodgers may be the answer to how we're going to replace some of the backchecking prowess that graduated.
                        They all looked fine, but they all have other levels that we haven't seen yet. The key is how quickly that they can get there and to what degree they struggle in the meantime. Hopefully a player like Pannek starts to have some success on the offensive end sooner rather than later so it doesn't become a mental thing, but that might not be easy with UMD, UW, and UND up next.

Right now, I'd say that the sophomore class is more important to our results. Cameranesi -- no problem. Schipper has to adjust to center, but so far so good. We need Flug, Wolfe, Haley, and Cline to settle into roles so they can just relax and play, and as such, the willingness of Flug and Wolfe to back check hard will be big.

As for Cline, I'd like to see her in the Katie Frischmann role. I know that is a thankless job, but it makes such a difference if you have somebody that can step right in if a hole opens up at D, but yet has the game to bring some offense when playing forward. I think she is versatile enough to excel at both.

Haley looks more confident on D than she did as a freshman, but she doesn't really have a forward's game when moved up front.

It will be interesting to see how the frosh/sophs do versus a far tougher opponent tonight.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

DE-FENSE! DE-FENSE! DE-FENSE!

Yes, BU scored twice, but the Gophers PK was en fuego.
                          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Special teams were absolutely key to this game. 5-on-5 it was very even but as soon as anyone headed to the box it turned into a mismatch. The Gophers killed two long stretches of 5-on-3 and followed the first with three quick goals, including converting both ends of their own 2-man advantage. I'm not sure that the BU penalty kill ever managed to clear the puck out of their defensive end on any of their shorthanded situations.

Anyone else notice that Stecklein and McMillen played the entire 1:35 of the second 3-on-5 penalty kill despite numerous opportunities to change?

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              Anyone else notice that Stecklein and McMillen played the entire 1:35 of the second 3-on-5 penalty kill despite numerous opportunities to change?
                              Yes, I did! During that sequence I made a comment to the person with me something along the lines of "Lee Stecklein and Milica McMillan, now That is a Wall!"

Comment

How come there was no video from Ridder this weekend?
                                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                                X