Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014-2015 Minnesota Women's Hockey: The Maroon & Gold Strike Back!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014-2015 Minnesota Women's Hockey: The Maroon & Gold Strike Back!

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    Unfortunately payback is an accepted part of the game and kids learn this from watching the NHL. Sadly, some coaches of youth teams condone it, and a few even teach it.
    Add to this that people are most apt to make bad decisions during periods of high emotion. Is there a greater emotional state than being on the cusp of playing in the state championship game?
    Looking at the incident as a glass half full, at least the two teams didn’t engage in a brawl.
    What happened on the boys side this postseason is just sad. Part of the problem is that there is no suitable penalty for the losers as they are done anyway so what do they have to lose? I was very happy that my kids coaches were very clear about expectations. Our daughter was a bit of a hot head & always wanted to get payback. She and I talked about it a lot. The worst I saw was a game where the other goalie was constantly hacking players with no call. Near the end of the game she did a stick drag as she went up ice & brought the girl down hard. In the post-game handshake the goalie went after her but no punches were thrown.

My youth football coach taught me how to cheat & I was just a dumb kid who wanted to get more playing time I thought it was clever at the time. Later I realised I could have hurt or been hurt by stuff he showed me & I always kept an eye on the kids coaches. I don't blame the kids for a lot of it but the adults around them that at least condone and maybe encourage this crap. It's a GD game, enjoy playing it & don't make it crippling for anyone.

Comment

Congratulations on selling out Ridder for the Frozen Four again.

Having said that, if anyone ends up with any extras, I'd be interested. By the time I got the time off approved, the tickets were gone! I am also signed up on the U's waiting list, so hopefully I'll find a few tickets one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Yes, the player that Williamson got the 5 minute major on checked Williamson from behind with contact to the head early in the year. You can bet she was aware of that. My only issue with that is I don't like seeing the "payback" aspect of it. Chalk it up to frustration getting the best of her and move on.
        Here's the article that talks about that; take from it what you will: http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news...rrer_id=868951
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And one more about Miss Williamson. I like what Slominski had to say about her work ethic.

Hornets’ Ms. Hockey can’t be described by words
          http://current.mnsun.com/2015/02/hor...ed-by-words-3/

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            And one more about Miss Williamson. I like what Slominski had to say about her work ethic.

Hornets’ Ms. Hockey can’t be described by words
            http://current.mnsun.com/2015/02/hor...ed-by-words-3/
            Brandt, Cameranesi, Pannek, lots of guns. Can't wait to unveil our latest secret weapon on an unsuspecting womens scene.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

McMillen suspended for Friday's game. I was looking out for it on Monday, I didn't know it would take them til Thursday.

Best possible time for it, and I wonder if she can learn anything by it. She says she reduced her penalties substantially during high school after a new coach came in and convinced her. It sounded like she was really a penalty hound before then. I'd love to see her take fewer penalties.

Obviously, she deserves lots of her penalties, but I think sometimes she gets called just because people fly off her when they touch her even when she doesn't do much of anything. Seems to me she must be one of the strongest big players in D1.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Brandt, Cameranesi, Pannek, lots of guns. Can't wait to unveil our latest secret weapon on an unsuspecting womens scene.
                As good as Williamson is Potomak may be even better.
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  As good as Williamson is Potomak may be even better.
                  Also, I'm wondering about a couple of the grinders- Piazza and Schipper. Don't mean to put them in the same breath as those above. But Piazza works so hard and battles in the corners so tenaciously. She's got good hands and has scored some goals and seems to have a good shot. I think she has a chance to develop into a pretty darn good player.

And Schipper is the mystery for me. Maybe the fastest player on the team and she also hustles and busts it every shift. Gets herself into good position often and then whiffs or misses the net. She need to take up one of Hannah Brandt's juggling routines or do some hand-eye drills over the summer.
                  I think she'll always be valuable, and in one of the Wisconsin games (must have been the 2nd one) at Ridder I thought she was close to our MVP even though she didn't score. She took the puck all the way up ice numerous times to relieve pressure, and played a tremendous defensive and back-checking game. I just wonder if she could still develop into a significantly more effective offensive threat.

Comment

Dani gets back-to-back WCHA OPotW recognition:
                    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w...022415aaa.html
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                      McMillen suspended for Friday's game. I was looking out for it on Monday, I didn't know it would take them til Thursday.

Best possible time for it, and I wonder if she can learn anything by it. She says she reduced her penalties substantially during high school after a new coach came in and convinced her. It sounded like she was really a penalty hound before then. I'd love to see her take fewer penalties.

Obviously, she deserves lots of her penalties, but I think sometimes she gets called just because people fly off her when they touch her even when she doesn't do much of anything. Seems to me she must be one of the strongest big players in D1.
                      She had a bad habit of taking lazy penalties (tripping for instance because she was not hustling) when she was new and she has lost her temper a few times over the years and done things to 'get even'. Not as bad as the Lamoureux sisters but in that nature. I am glad to see that the WCHA can take action but am puzzled about the multiple times we have seen dangerous crap the last few years that the same bunch did not think needed sanctions. Additional games for contact to the head or obvious intent to injure needs to become the expectation.

Comment

Also, I'm wondering about a couple of the grinders- Piazza and Schipper. Don't mean to put them in the same breath as those above. But Piazza works so hard and battles in the corners so tenaciously. She's got good hands and has scored some goals and seems to have a good shot. I think she has a chance to develop into a pretty darn good player.

And Schipper is the mystery for me. Maybe the fastest player on the team and she also hustles and busts it every shift. Gets herself into good position often and then whiffs or misses the net. She need to take up one of Hannah Brandt's juggling routines or do some hand-eye drills over the summer.
                        I think she'll always be valuable, and in one of the Wisconsin games (must have been the 2nd one) at Ridder I thought she was close to our MVP even though she didn't score. She took the puck all the way up ice numerous times to relieve pressure, and played a tremendous defensive and back-checking game. I just wonder if she could still develop into a significantly more effective offensive threat.
                        I agree 100% with your assessments. I'm sure Schipper is frustrated for not having converted on more of her chances. But the good news is that her speed and effort gives her those opportunities, and I think more experience will start to pay dividends on the scoresheet in her final two years.

Comment

one thing you have to remember, after a coach puts together the first line and second line, what is left to put together a third line?
                          basically a third line in college is a leftover line, that was pretty much the case with Davis-Lorence-Brausen and it is with Piazza-Schipper-Garzone. While they may not score much, they give up goals even less, and in the end that is what makes a winning team, lines that score more often than they yield goals.
                          Somebody last year compared Terry to the Everyready Bunny, it may be even more true of Piazza. She puts a lot of pressure on the other team.
                          Schipper also is a lot like Terry, remember, Terry scored few goals her junior year, but came up with one when the team really needed it in one of the most important games of the year.

Comment

Other than a lot of Gopher goals, really not a very exciting game tonight. Mankato made it obvious early that they are ready for the season to be over. (If you're going to let Hannah Brandt set up in front of the net you should at least make a phone call to stay in contact with her.) Minnesota was intense and worked hard for the ten minutes in which it was possible to imagine the game being competitive then slacked off, especially in the second period. Unlike some fans, I don't have a problem with that. There was no chance that MSU was going to come back from a four goal deficit and not playing hard for three periods tonight tells us nothing about whether they'll be focused next week. The season is a marathon and knowing when not to wear yourself out is valuable.

The Gophers were better in the third but the goals came when MSU decided to stop playing defense against anyone, not just Brandt. After Minnesota's sixth goal I was kind of surprised that Erin Kirchever didn't pick up a five minute major for slashing one of her own defensemen in the hopes that the WCHA would suspend her so she didn't have to play tomorrow. She probably couldn't figure out which one was the most responsible for letting Cameranesi skate all the way in from the side boards without anyone bothering her.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              Mankato made it obvious early that they are ready for the season to be over.
                              You are a funny guy & a good writer, this description is up there with Arlens take on bye's chances this year, you should consider doing that professionally!

Hockey is a tough sport, both physically and mentally and over the course of the season it takes a toll. Given the added burden of classes (most of these women are getting actual degrees & many in tough fields unlike so many of their male counterparts) and the 'community service' requirements (is that universal or just a MN thing?). Players will take shifts and even periods off you just want them to be smart about it; know your opponent and have a sense of the 'momentum' (March 24, 2006, 4-3). But the real point is that MSU has gotten their butts whooped nearly every game and already knows they do not have the horses. Its the end of the season, They're tired and just want to put a lot of painful memories in the rearview mirror and they played like it. MN did what a team on the ice under those conditions needs to do, come out strong, get up early and coast.

Comment

I didn't have a problem with Minnesota's compete level in the second period, because I did think that Mankato came very hard on the offensive end early on. Ne7minder is right that they don't have the horses, but they have enough kids who can skate that they can create some havoc for stretches. Mankato's big problem all night was that they would get stuck in their zone and back on their heels and worn down. The Gophers had a lot of quality chances in the second period, but for some reason, the puck stayed out. Krichiver had some highlight reel saves during that segment, allowing only Brandt's no-doubter redirection from the doorstep. By the third period, the Mavericks looked worn down, leading to goals like the one where the Gophers cycle ate them up, Pannek made a beautiful pass to allow Cameranesi to walk in from the corner, and there was little, if anything, Krichiver could have done. As for covering Brandt, I'm not sure that MSU has people that they can put on her that are fast, strong, and mobile enough to stay with 22 all over the ice; she was flying all night.

There is going to be a difference in cohesion between UM's normal lines and what one sees when rotating three centers through four pairs of wings, which Frost started doing after it became 3-0 at the 8:33 mark of the first period. The Mav's tried for a couple of periods, but the first Cameranesi goal seemed to take the starch out of them.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X