Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014-2015 Minnesota Women's Hockey: The Maroon & Gold Strike Back!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014-2015 Minnesota Women's Hockey: The Maroon & Gold Strike Back!

Went to my first game this afternoon, Gophers put on a clinic. They are so quick, so fast, and so creative....just amazing to watch them. Really fun team to watch.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      Went to my first game this afternoon, Gophers put on a clinic. They are so quick, so fast, and so creative....just amazing to watch them. Really fun team to watch.
      Come back soon!

I'm with you, I love to watch them play! Their passing today was beautiful.

A lot of shots lately, with not quite so many goals per shot as we've seen. Like to see them keep plugging away and start to convert the shots into goals a little more as the season progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
        I'm still worried about our defensive zone coverage. It was pretty spotty last night in Mankato. Today it hardly mattered because it was only tested about three times all game but still worrying.

And it turns out that Rachel Ramsey has a really nice backhand in close to the net; it produced the Mavericks' second best scoring chance of the weekend.

Comment

I should clarify....first game of this season.
          The Mankato goalie made some fantastic saves.
          My wife and sat right behind the net on the west end, I thought the biggest differences in the game was the ability of MN's D core to push the puck up the ice, great transition and MN's puck support on the forecheck.

Part of the d coverage issue seemed to be they are looking to transition so quickly and get caught breaking the wrong way on a bad or deflected pass.
          Last edited by Greyeagle; 11-22-2014, 08:54 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Pretty decent recap of the game in the Star Tribune:

U women's hockey beats Mavericks for series sweep
            http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...283601901.html
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Except that the box score credits the "Menefee" goal to Brandt.
              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                Except that the box score credits the "Menefee" goal to Brandt.
                Yeah... the scoring was changed (from Menefee to Brandt) after the game, and the local rags often don't catch things like that.
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

After three games to evaluate the changes, my view is that I like Wolfe a LOT as a D.

She is assertive and confident moving the puck, a very strong player at this postion.

And if Wolfe is a D that moves Garzone back to F and here again my view is that I like Garzone quite a bit up front.

She has been fine at D but watching her back up front it just seems like her natural in game instincts are better suited to F than D.

I think the change has made the Gophers stronger.
                  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

I agree with you on Wolfe. She usually puts the puck where it is supposed to go. She had the one high-profile "oops!" moment where she wound up on her posterior and a two-on-one resulted, but she does a lot more good things than bad. I think Garzone is starting to get more comfortable, but she hasn't played all that many game shifts at forward in her Gopher career, so it will likely take time for her to reach her potential there. The more I watch Stecklein, the more I fully comprehend how big a hit it was to the team last year when they didn't have her services. It kind of did to the back end what losing Kessel did up front this year. Stecklein defends the two-on-one rushes as well as anyone, and she's very patient about holding the puck even when pressured, rather than just throwing it anywhere for the sake of getting rid of it.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Pannek has hat trick as Gophers women's hockey shuts out St. Cloud State
                      http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...283787051.html
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I like Wolfe's potential at D, too, but there were several incidents last night that would have been scary had the game been closer. Late in the third she had the puck behind the net and brought it out almost through the crease with a forechecker in her face.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                          After three games to evaluate the changes, my view is that I like Wolfe a LOT as a D.

She is assertive and confident moving the puck, a very strong player at this postion.

And if Wolfe is a D that moves Garzone back to F and here again my view is that I like Garzone quite a bit up front.

She has been fine at D but watching her back up front it just seems like her natural in game instincts are better suited to F than D.

I think the change has made the Gophers stronger.
                          I agree, and would add Haley at F
                          despite where they may have played in HS, all 3 appear to take to these positions like a duck to water
                          with Kelsey Cline playing so well at D, they have found the 6 D, that IMO, approaches 2012/13 in skill
                          no small accomplishment, the only better blueline corp in the world would be Team Canada & USA
                          if they need a sub, they can always move Garzone back there

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          I like Wolfe's potential at D, too, but there were several incidents last night that would have been scary had the game been closer. Late in the third she had the puck behind the net and brought it out almost through the crease with a forechecker in her face.
                          so, IOW, she plays like every other blueliner
                          that sounds more like an endorsement than a criticism
                          Last edited by pokechecker; 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Brandt is killing my fantasy team, I drafted her #1 overall. What gives? Is she going to turn it around or what?
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              Brandt is killing my fantasy team, I drafted her #1 overall. What gives? Is she going to turn it around or what?
                              Look, she was never a good candidate to provide you with penalty minutes.

Comment

Lee Stecklein is growing, her listed height on the roster is up to 6'!

Comment

Working...
                                X