Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014-2015 Minnesota Women's Hockey: The Maroon & Gold Strike Back!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014-2015 Minnesota Women's Hockey: The Maroon & Gold Strike Back!

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    We aren't talking Minnesota and Michigan in football; we are talking Michigan and Ohio State. UMD was an equal this decade, not before I started elementary school.
    Well geez. I was just trying to pick an example that was familiar to all.

But you know what? Despite your objection, I still think the example works. It must be remembered that a varsity career has a "lifespan" of 4-5 seasons. Since most hockey players don't redshirt, the usual number is four. Anything outside of that career lifespan seems like ancient history to the current players. Appreciation for the program's history doesn't really kick in until after graduation.

Prior to UMD's recent shootout win, UMD had beaten Minnesota 1 time in 15 tries, dating back to 2012-13. That would be the experience of the current Bulldog seniors. The rest of the squad had NEVER beaten the Gophers. And yet somehow that team should be embarrassed for celebrating? Nonsense. As with the Little Brown Jug example, it "seemed like forever" since the last win -- from the players' perspective.

As for the rest, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. In truth, we're kind of talking past each other because we're framing the issue so differently.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
      I hope you are not questioning the management of Team USA
      they know what they are doing
      and have 4 silver Olympic medals to prove it1
      Is this sarcasm? You know silver is the losers medal.

Also, do I read correctly Minnesota will have a Canadian national team player? Someone wants to use our system to get better and then play against us in the biggest game in the women's hockey world?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
        Is this sarcasm? You know silver is the losers medal.

Also, do I read correctly Minnesota will have a Canadian national team player? Someone wants to use our system to get better and then play against us in the biggest game in the women's hockey world?
        Or, Minnesota wants to take a player that was developed in a Canadian system to make themselves better in the WCHA.
        ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
          Or, Minnesota wants to take a player that was developed in a Canadian system to make themselves better in the WCHA.
          Not quite sure where to go with this response. I only quoted Cali since it was the latest response, but I agree with the opinion.

The Gophers have had numerous players who have been on a Canadian national team at any point -- the display is posted at Ridder if there's any question. This includes current #1 goaltender Amanda Leveille. And Kelly Terry is on this year's Canadian 4 Nations roster; quoting from another Gopher fan, we'd love to see Kelly get a hat trick in a 4-3 USA win.
          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

I think you may be taking this a bit too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              The irony is I actually agree with your home run derby characterization. Be assured that if it were my decision alone, I'd drop the shootout from the rulebook. But it's also important to deal with reality. The shootout has been with us for years; it counts for points in the standings; and there's no indication it's going away anytime soon. Stick your head in the sand if you want. But being an ostrich is not a redeeming quality.
              I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks is a win and a loss. If everyone else wants to be wrong, that's their decision but I'm not going to join them. I am only talking about what I consider to be a win or a loss. To me, a shootout does not have any relevance to deciding which team played a better hockey game. It's a completely different, non-hockey contest that happens to involve skates and a puck. As such, I give it zero weight in forming my personal opinion of wins and losses.

A part of it is that I find Americans' abhorrence of ties both inexplicable and idiotic. Sometimes you play a game and both teams are so evenly matched that it would be unjust to declare either of them to be the winner. Coming up with a stupid contrivance to "settle" things just because a lot of people can't deal with that is an exercise in which I will not participate.

Comment

Wait.

pgb is claiming that Ohio State had a win against Minnesota last year?

No. Ohio State had a shootout win.

No one calls that a win.

It was a SHOOTOUT win. The hockey game ended in a tie. That's why they had a shootout.

And congratulations on the shootout win by the way, it's way better than a loss. But only every so slightly better than a shootout loss. Celebrate if you want but I bet you would celebrate a lot more with a win.
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

I can understand USU being jubilant after their SO win last year, after all, they had been down one goal late and ended up tying it and then got the bonus point in the SO
                  When you come from behind to tie or win, that's always reason to feel good

But in UMD's case they squandered a 2 goal lead, so if their celebration over the SO win was anything other than “we made amends for blowing our lead” it’s no wonder they are the 4th place team.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                    …and then there are the 2 Gophers from Finland who beat Team USA.
                    I kinda enjoyed that.
                    If Kelly Terry gets a hat trick there will be a lot of happy Gopher fans even if it beats Team USA.

Comment

North Dakota found out today there was an oil train coming through and they were standing on the track.

Choo-choo... choo-choo baby.
                      Last edited by CrazyDave; 10-25-2014, 11:48 PM.
                      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        If Kelly Terry gets a hat trick there will be a lot of happy Gopher fans even if it beats Team USA.
                        Well, yeah. I might need her to save my life at some game this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                          North Dakota found out today there was an oil train coming through and they were standing on the track.
                          The Gophers were coming off a huge sweep last weekend over the red menace. It is hard to keep the level of intensity that they displayed last weekend going for another series a week later. But then North Dakota definitely did enough on Friday night to get the Gophers' attention.

Properly focused by the Friday game the Gophers on Saturday produced one of the best games ever played by most of the players currently wearing the Minnesota sweater. North Dakota found themselves on the wrong end of the swing.
                          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                            The Gophers were coming off a huge sweep last weekend over the red menace. It is hard to keep the level of intensity that they displayed last weekend going for another series a week later. But then North Dakota definitely did enough on Friday night to get the Gophers' attention.

Properly focused by the Friday game the Gophers on Saturday produced one of the best games ever played by most of the players currently wearing the Minnesota sweater. North Dakota found themselves on the wrong end of the swing.
                            I honestly don't think there's another team in the land (even BC! ) that could have withstood the Gopher's assault in today's game. If they find the same level of consistent effort as they displayed in Saturday's rematch this will be a very difficult team for anyone (even BC! ) to beat.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                              Wait.

pgb is claiming that Ohio State had a win against Minnesota last year?

No. Ohio State had a shootout win.
                              I didn't intend to say anything to the contrary. Went back through the conversation looking for a drafting error. Didn't find any such error. The false accusation is pretty disappointing.

No one calls that a win.
                              3 Points > 2 Points, period. No confusion on this point.

It was a SHOOTOUT win. The hockey game ended in a tie. That's why they had a shootout.

And congratulations on the shootout win by the way, it's way better than a loss. But only every so slightly better than a shootout loss.
                              It's exactly 2 points better than a loss, and exactly 1 point better than a shootout loss. To borrow a popular phrase: Simple Math.

Celebrate if you want but I bet you would celebrate a lot more with a win.
                              Celebration depends totally on context. Consider:

Our Football team played at Penn State earlier tonight. Strangely enough, the game played out much like the hockey shootouts we've been talking about. The NCAA will be giving OSU full credit for a win. We sure don't deserve it, but will accept it as per the agreed upon rules. We played a decent first half, then were absolutely horrible in the second. At the same time, the gutsy Penn State team deserves a lot of credit for playing us to a draw. In the 25 yard mini-game, our guys got up off the mat and won the extra session. That did show character, and I'm grateful for it. But as far as I'm concerned, the only appropriate emotion for Buckeye fans was relief. Nothing to celebrate.

In contrast, had Penn State won the mini-game, there would have been a huge celebration, and deservedly so. Penn State Football's status as a underdog may wind up being short-lived, but they certainly are an underdog at this point in time.

Celebrating as a favorite is one thing. Celebrating as an underdog is fundamentally different. Each role has its own emotions and rewards. Why is this so hard to understand?

Comment

Attendance of 2496 is best regular season attendance since the streak. Great to see.

Missed Nadine Muzerall both nights, but it was cool to see Kelly Terry behind the bench on Saturday!

Comment

Working...
                                X