Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

Originally posted by MattS View Post
    No matter which of you is correct, I do think we can agree that the circumstances with this downturn are different from the downturn back then. If for no other reason that as a whole the quality of the AHA has improved. I believe that this season and probably next season are going to be bellwether one's for Wilson and the program. If some of the fans here are correct, then Wilson has one more physical recruiting tool in his bag to use. Now lets see what he can do with it.
    I agree. Even though Wilson's contract doesn't expire until 2017, I think this is a year of high expectations brought on by the new rink. I think RIT's strength will be its defense. The Tigers needs a go-to guy in net and people that can put the puck in the net in even strength situations.

Goaltending will be a question mark at several schools. Niagara and RMU have the opposite problem - two goalies that have shown they can play (although Teichroeb at NU is injured). Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Sacred Heart, Canisius and AIC are set. But Air Force, Bentley, Army and RIT have work to do.

Comment

Re: >>>>>RIT TIGERS... The Polisseum, just like the Ritter only more of us!<<<<<

Originally posted by Chris Lerch View Post
      I agree. Even though Wilson's contract doesn't expire until 2017, I think this is a year of high expectations brought on by the new rink.
      Uh oh.....this sounds almost, kind of, sort of, like criticism of Wilson. Here come the people with pitchforks, tar and feathers!!! How dare you speak ill.

I am kidding of course...well sort of.....
      My Four Favorite teams:
      RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
      Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

A couple wins early would help. The problem is that the beginning of the season is tough - especially in conference. It's tough to start out at Air Force and at Robert Morris in league play. If they are going to be taken seriously in league, I think they need to get at least 4 points. If they are going to be any kind of factor in conference, a minimum of 2 points is a must.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
          Speaking of television... is anyone interested in streaming the games? I know justin.tv is gone, but I'm sure there are other avenues out there for people who are interested in helping out some other alumni!
          +1 to this!! Justin.tv is indeed no more. Does anyone actually know who was streaming the games on there? Or if you (Justin.tv streamer) happen to be on these boards, could you update us with your plan for this year?

RIT Hockey FB Group
          Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Well, it was certainly fun being at an RIT hockey game tonight... but the acoustics are really pretty bad at the Polisseni. I thought they might be OK after attending the dedication and season ticket holder events, but the higher the attendance, the higher the noise level and the higher the echo. Even Rocky was hard to understand at times tonight.
            RIT TIGERS
            Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions/NCAA Tournament 2010, 2015, 2016
            Frozen Four 2010
            The Gene Polisseni Center @ RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
              Well, it was certainly fun being at an RIT hockey game tonight... but the acoustics are really pretty bad at the Polisseni. I thought they might be OK after attending the dedication and season ticket holder events, but the higher the attendance, the higher the noise level and the higher the echo. Even Rocky was hard to understand at times tonight.
              Yup, I said that after the dedication. It appears to my eye that no consideration was given to acoustics at all -- that open ceiling with nothing but girders (placed at multiple angles) and a metal roof means the sound goes up, scatters, and comes back down jumbled but just as loud. Sitting in the club section, I couldn't make out a word Goon was shouting while play was going on.

Also annoying: No shots-on-goal display. No graphics on the video boards, just raw video and the occasional "Make Some Noise" sign. No (functional) menu boards for the concession stands. Ancient push-button sink faucet technology in the restrooms. The two orange girders are placed such that they can only be seen from the bleacher seats.

There's a lot to like about the place. A lot. But there are also some very obvious places where corners were cut that will make the arena less than it could have been.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                Yup, I said that after the dedication. It appears to my eye that no consideration was given to acoustics at all -- that open ceiling with nothing but girders (placed at multiple angles) and a metal roof means the sound goes up, scatters, and comes back down jumbled but just as loud. Sitting in the club section, I couldn't make out a word Goon was shouting while play was going on.

Also annoying: No shots-on-goal display. No graphics on the video boards, just raw video and the occasional "Make Some Noise" sign. No (functional) menu boards for the concession stands. Ancient push-button sink faucet technology in the restrooms. The two orange girders are placed such that they can only be seen from the bleacher seats.

There's a lot to like about the place. A lot. But there are also some very obvious places where corners were cut that will make the arena less than it could have been.

Powers &8^]
                With regards to your annoyances with the graphics/video boards/menus, keep in mind that this was the first game. They are still trying to figure out logistics and I would be surprised to not see that stuff added in the next few games.

The No shots-on-goal is annoying, but most other arenas don't have that either.
                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by RITFan67 View Post
                  Remember way back when, folks were adamantly dreading how the new rink would have no atmosphere, the huge building would be quiet as a church on Sunday, unlike the cozy confines of the always loud Ritter Arena. Now after one event, people are complaining that the new rink is TOO LOUD. Really?

We wanted a loud rink where the screaming fans could "raise the roof". RIT specifically included several features towards that exact goal expressed by so many. I thought the band sounded great, the bell had an awesome tone, and the sounds from the ice carried nicely. I even missed the goal horn and hope they add one eventually.

As for the lack of concession signage, etc, it was obviously missing and was a problem. The concession workers are also new and don't know their products yet, but they will.

Give the rink workers and management a chance. Restaurants have soft openings so that the staff (kitchen, wait, front end, etc) can all get used to the new-ness and figure out how to efficiently get people serviced. A new hockey rink is no different, even on a grander scale because you have to worry about event management, game management, security, parking, facility, etc.

Literally, there were still a few workers in the rink last night tweaking things and I expect the same to go on for the next few weeks. I've been to the rink four times in the last twelve days and every time I see something new that has been completed. They will fill in the gaps, figure out how to best use the video boards, and make adjustments and further refinements.
                  Scott Biggar
                  WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
                  Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

How was parking yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerprincess7 View Post
                      I'd say bank on S lot. I showed up at about 5:50 and was able to get a spot in U lot, but it looked pretty close to full from daytime cars.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
                        Most of this is growing pains. Obviously the menu boards will be set up, obviously the video boards will get additional graphics packages. Shots on goal can easily be added to the scoreboard.

The building has only been officially open for 2 weeks, and this is the first full scale hockey event it has ever held. If you were expecting a polished experience like you get in other places that have been up and running for years and years you had very unrealistic expectations. I expect to see small, continuous improvements throughout the season, but most of these obvious pain points will go away.

I do hope the administration reconsiders the no-backpacks rule. Though I understand why, on a college campus it is certainly a bit of a detriment to attendance and a step back from Ritter.
                        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
                          Remember way back when, folks were adamantly dreading how the new rink would have no atmosphere, the huge building would be quiet as a church on Sunday, unlike the cozy confines of the always loud Ritter Arena. Now after one event, people are complaining that the new rink is TOO LOUD. Really?
                          I specifically didn't comment on the items that can be tweaked/fixed... and I like a loud area. In fact, even though the arena was not crowded last night, the rink felt alive and noisy... good things. My complaint is that the sound echoes and words sometimes become unintelligible rendering Rocky's announcements practically useless. I toured the rink several times during construction and was told the rink acoustics were a definite concern and that they felt they had been successfully addressed in design considerations... including the inner rink ceiling. The design needs a modification... it's a problem.
                          RIT TIGERS
                          Frozen Four 2010

Comment

I really enjoyed being in the new arena yesterday for a game, even with the operational glitches (which are to be expected for sure). The staff will get better and it will improve no doubt.

I was impressed with how lively the building was (announced attendance was over 1000, not sure how accurate that is, didn't feel like 1/4 full) for a women's exhibition game. You can actually hear the band now (without mics) and even the corner crew (be it the tiny women's game version) sounded loud at times.

I can't wait to get back in there Friday night. Add a shot clock, add blinds to the club lounge to cut down on sunset glare, add a goal horn and I'm sold.
                            Last edited by dpm105; 09-30-2014, 10:11 AM.
                            RIT Tiger Hockey
                            Cinderella is dancing again!

Comment

Originally posted by tigerprincess7 View Post
                              I arrived just before game time, so U lot was full... that was no surprise. I parked in D lot and walked through the buildings to get to the arena. No problem.
                              RIT TIGERS
                              Frozen Four 2010

Comment

Originally posted by dpm105 View Post
                                add a goal horn
                                Seriously how was this not already done...
                                RIT

Comment

Working...
                                X