Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Generic Catchy Message

Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Who wants to explain GamerGate to me? I tried to read a Kotaku article about it earlier today and understood literally 0% of it. I read words but they had no meaning.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

Go State! Beat Tech
    8-9-1 (2-7-1-1, 7th B1G)

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Lucia Apologist

I did as well a few weeks ago. I couldn't figure it out after reading it a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Who wants to explain GamerGate to me? I tried to read a Kotaku article about it earlier today and understood literally 0% of it. I read words but they had no meaning.
    Well it started with an ***hole getting angry that his girlfriend isn't into him anymore so he drops all her information and makes several false claims about her sleeping around to give good reviews. It's picked up by a bunch of very active misogynistic followers who accept it without question and begin to harass reviewers and anyone who dared comment against them (overwhelmingly only if they were women) using threats and releasing their private information to the internet under the guise of it being about ethics in games journalism.

It's settled down somewhat with the less savory characters losing interest as more nuanced people have taken up their "cause" to try and mistakenly take back the hashtag/movement. But it's still basically a boys club upset about women having any say/influence on their hobby and have come up with some decent talking points to try and deflect away from that.

dude is upset that his girlfriend, who happened to be a video game reviewer, broke up with him, starts malicious rumors about her. Her friend then creates an indie game which other *********s say only got good reviews because the creator was a woman. Both women then get numerous death threats.

TL;DR - men are treating women like shiat.

Generic Catchy Message

Ok. I thought it was about misogyny so I guess I was right with that. The article I was reading though was an entire story about developing some game and I had never heard of that part of it or the people involved with it and it was just so far above my head that I thought everything I knew about Gamergate was wrong.

On the flip side, I found a site that hosts a bunch of old games. NHL 94 is actually more fun to play than the current NHL games because there aren't any auto-goals.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7

Go State! Beat Tech
    8-9-1 (2-7-1-1, 7th B1G)

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Evole comes out today. I have no interest, but others might. 4v1 multiplayer.

2nd ep. Of Tales from the Borderlands could be out as early as next Tuesday.

Everyone who hates day one DLC will be excited to know Evolve is getting a ton of backlash for having a full $60 of DLC out to go with its $60 game.

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

Captain Ressentiment

Addams Family Pinball? Zuh?

Twitch collects pinball machines.

3DS Zelda Majora's Mask came out today. Picked it up for my wife. Happy V Day!

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post

3DS Zelda Majora's Mask came out today. Picked it up for my wife. Happy V Day!
    My copy is waiting at home, but not with the themed 3ds I preordered from best buy because those *******s over sold, took the money, and didn't realize till 2 weeks later before giving refunds.

Some ***** got the only unit from target this morning then immediately went to Walmart looking for another. Probably for some **** head kids. Sold out everywhere, hopefully Nintendo decides to release more.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    My copy is waiting at home, but not with the themed 3ds I preordered from best buy because those *******s over sold, took the money, and didn't realize till 2 weeks later before giving refunds.

Some ***** got the only unit from target this morning then immediately went to Walmart looking for another. Probably for some **** head kids. Sold out everywhere, hopefully Nintendo decides to release more.
    Despite being region locked (for 3DS games) we are going to buy a new 3DS with the faceplates while in Japan on vacation.

Although I guess the new ones don't come with a charger. Seems dumb.

I am the Stig.

I am probably very late on this, but they re-released X-Wing and Tie Fighter for modern computers. Preteen me was so excited that current me went out and bought a new joystick.

It's hockey, not study hall
    Quote Originally Posted by JuveGG24 View Post
    I am probably very late on this, but they re-released X-Wing and Tie Fighter for modern computers. Preteen me was so excited that current me went out and bought a new joystick.
    Are they playable without a joystick? I know it says required, but I remember playing without one back in the day.

I am the Stig.

Quote Originally Posted by bueller View Post
    Are they playable without a joystick? I know it says required, but I remember playing without one back in the day.
    It wouldn't let me load X-Wing without the joystick plugged in, so unfortunately it looks like no.

Southern Bias!
    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Awesome. I spent last week getting my Williams EM pin in working order for the first time in 10-11 months. I actually played an Addam's Family on location today. Glad to see that there's at least one other pinhead around here.

Ok. I thought it was about misogyny so I guess I was right with that. The article I was reading though was an entire story about developing some game and I had never heard of that part of it or the people involved with it and it was just so far above my head that I thought everything I knew about Gamergate was wrong.

On the flip side, I found a site that hosts a bunch of old games. NHL 94 is actually more fun to play than the current NHL games because there aren't any auto-goals.
    There's a lot more than they're saying... and they know that. Aside from the freakzillas being freakzillas there was a lot of coordinated shutdowns of discussion which cheesed off a lot of people and lead to a lot of people questioning what was really going on.

There's many different threads in this between cultural co-opting, people whose societal positions are made less on creating and more on controversy generation, and general ethics in between the journalism and marketing communities in that industry so its a lot more complex than "its the basement nerds being upset about women in their presence".

There's a lot of interesting things in it once one gets beyond the trite and the simple.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhett View Post
    Awesome. I spent last week getting my Williams EM pin in working order for the first time in 10-11 months. I actually played an Addam's Family on location today. Glad to see that there's at least one other pinhead around here.
    Which EM?

Owned a BK2K and a Getaway for a while, swapped 'em for a Twilight Zone.

Also live (at least for the moment) within long stumbling distance of this wonderful little place.

http://www.the-1up.com/colfax/
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

Southern Bias!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Which EM?

Owned a BK2K and a Getaway for a while, swapped 'em for a Twilight Zone.
    Dealers Choice, it's a four flipper, four player 1974 Williams. The single player version is known as Lucky Ace.

I'd love to have a more modern pin, but only really have room for one, and my wife really likes the Dealers Choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    so its a lot more complex than "its the basement nerds being upset about women in their presence".

There's a lot of interesting things in it once one gets beyond the trite and the simple.
    No, it's not. There's a reason the death threats have been solely directed at women. The "ethics in gaming journalism" card is pure bullshiat.

The gaming media has been one giant advertising wing of the industry since the original Nintendo Power magazine in the 80s, if not longer. Funny how it only became an issue when women started commenting on the apparent sexism in most major publishing houses.
    Last edited by unofan; 02-16-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Thread Information