This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

I spent much of yesterday playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Yes, there are a great many elements held true from past Zelda games, but this is something entirely new. The differences between this game and past games is almost to the degree of Ocarina of Time vs. older games. And thus far, all I can say is that they've done it right. They changed the attributes to all of your weapons, how you come about finding your weapons and supplies, and how your health regenerates.

I've got about seven hours into the game, and I've yet to make it beyond the first quest - there's just so much exploration to do! Talking with my buddy at work, his kid logged in 24 hours over the weekend, and his son feels like the game has only just begun. Rupees are still part of the game, but I've yet to find one or have need of them.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I spent much of yesterday playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Yes, there are a great many elements held true from past Zelda games, but this is something entirely new. The differences between this game and past games is almost to the degree of Ocarina of Time vs. older games. And thus far, all I can say is that they've done it right. They changed the attributes to all of your weapons, how you come about finding your weapons and supplies, and how your health regenerates.

I've got about seven hours into the game, and I've yet to make it beyond the first quest - there's just so much exploration to do! Talking with my buddy at work, his kid logged in 24 hours over the weekend, and his son feels like the game has only just begun. Rupees are still part of the game, but I've yet to find one or have need of them.
      From what I've seen the Yet Another Stupid Death potential gives Nethack a run for its money.

Especially anything involving the magnet gun.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        From what I've seen the Yet Another Stupid Death potential gives Nethack a run for its money.

Especially anything involving the magnet gun.
        I've died more times in this game than the last three combined. Not only are some of the foes a bit tougher, but there's a stamina meter for when you're climbing up a cliff or running, just like the old air meter when swimming in the older games. Going up those cliffs, sometimes your eyes get bigger than your stamina meter.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Good open world rpg. Can see a bit of several games in it (tomb raider, skyrim, etc).
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Question for those who have had an Xbox One longer than I, if I own the physical disk for a game, say The Division Gold Edition, and want to buy the digital basic version for dirt cheap so I don't have to keep putting the disk in, it will still be the Gold Edition right?
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Question for those who have had an Xbox One longer than I, if I own the physical disk for a game, say The Division Gold Edition, and want to buy the digital basic version for dirt cheap so I don't have to keep putting the disk in, it will still be the Gold Edition right?
              If gold was just dlc redeem codes, then I'd think it'll still be gold.
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Thinking of upgrading from the Xbox 360 finally (even though I still have a backlog of games I need to play on that). Any of you have a strong recommendation one way or the other on Xbox One vs. PS4?

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                  Thinking of upgrading from the Xbox 360 finally (even though I still have a backlog of games I need to play on that). Any of you have a strong recommendation one way or the other on Xbox One vs. PS4?
                  PS4 has MLB The Show. XBox One doesn't have an MLB game at all.

XBox One continues to add 360 games to their backwards compatibility, and some new games are playable on both Windows 10 AND Xbox when you purchase them.

If you do get an XBox, the new S model is the updated version, but a more powerful version named Scorpio is coming this year. All current and future Xbox One branded games and the current 360 Backwards compatible games will work on original Xbox Ones, "S" model, and the new Scorpio.
                  Last edited by aparch; 03-15-2017, 02:26 PM.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                    Both systems have rocket league and that'll be the only game you play forever and ever so there!
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      Both systems have rocket league and that'll be the only game you play forever and ever so there!
                      Truth. Dang that game can be a time sink.

Both (plus PC) have it, but it's a ps4 original.

Comment

Mass Effect: Andromeda? Anyone?
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Mass Effect: Andromeda? Anyone?
                          I'm holding off for now. Reviews have been really mixed, but even the positive ones mention how many bugs it has.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            I'm holding off for now. Reviews have been really mixed, but even the positive ones mention how many bugs it has.
                            Ok. Been so tempted but been reading some bad reviews, etc. Love the series.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Mass Effect Andromeda (ps4) seems fine to me. I'm only watching the wife play though.
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                Mass Effect Andromeda (ps4) seems fine to me. I'm only watching the wife play though.
                                None of the bugs I've heard about are game breaking, but they will break your immersion into the world. Things like audio overlaps, missing audio, character animations freezing, leaving a conversation in a different room than where you started when you haven't moved, etc.

The other big negative I've read about is that some of the writing is just plain bad.

The positives seem to be the open world graphics, the co-op multiplayer mode, the combat, the loyalty quests, and the main plot. And the fact that it's a Mass Effect game.

Comment

Working...
                                X