Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Video Games Thread VIII: Titans are destined to fall

The rubber banding once you move up to 100cc and above is ridiculous!
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Unlocked the Biddybuggy. For those who don't know, there is a hidden stat that determines how quickly you can charge mini-turbos and how long they last, and this car gives a full +1 to that stat. Great for 200cc and great with the new third tier of sparks (it goes blue, orange, pink now, and pink's turbo lasts a full 3 seconds.)

Dry Bowser/Biddybuggy/Rollers/Super is my go-to in online. A freaking Bowser with 4+ acceleration and can pull off orange sparks at a decent clip. I'll switch Bowser for Lemmy if it's a tricky course or I'm getting Item Paraded.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Since my son was little and I pre-bought a game boy advance, I was always able to pick up the new game system (usually Nintendo, but sometimes x-box) for whatever the next gift giving event was. I even I got a pre-buy after the original person who earlier reserved the system "no longer needed it" according to the game store manager....seems like one person needed to be taken to the hospital following an all nighter for the release of the Wii.............

Anyway, my son is graduating from college, heading off to grad school and did not need the Switch so I did not keep an eye out for the pre-sells. I did try to find one at release (Ok, for me....) with no luck. I just happened to be at WalMart about 10:00 on Saturday night before Easter. There were 3 system in the case! I worried that someone's bunny might be shopping late, a bunny who really needed on for the morning so I passed on the system (perhaps an ethical thing since I really did not need one). About 3 pm on Sunday I went back and they were still there, so no ethical problem anymore, I picked one up. (Still have not opened it, but that is a different issue.......)
        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

My one minor gripe with MK8D: N64 Rainbow Road should have an option for 3 full laps.

I see why they kept it at 1 lap, but have the option there for us crusty old N64 vets who want the charm of having a stupid 5-minute long race.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I cleared the 50 and 100cc with 3 stars. Now I'm putting down some time trial times to get better at the tracks for the 150 and 200cc runs.
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              I cleared the 50 and 100cc with 3 stars. Now I'm putting down some time trial times to get better at the tracks for the 150 and 200cc runs.
              Now's where I tell you that any trophies/stars earned at 150cc automatically copy down to 50 and 100. But it was good to get the practice.

150cc is doable, it's just like online. Don't worry about top speed - the rubberbanding will just catch up to you anyway. Focus on max acceleration to recover from item hits.

200cc is a whole different animal. USE THE B BUTTON BRAKE. It's the only way to survive some turns. Consider turning on auto-acceleration, then you just have to use the brake and drift.

The urban legend I've heard is that the game engine was originally being developed for an F-Zero game, then Nintendo for whatever reason decided they didn't want to do F-Zero, so it got converted to Mario Kart 8. Hence all the anti-gravity stuff. 200cc is the speed the F-Zero game would have been running at.

ETA: The Y button also accelerates. Can be useful in 200cc so you can keep it pinned and tap the brake to make turns.
              Last edited by Twitch Boy; 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Had my first experience with Curse of the Tower on Binding of Isaac. That was !FUN!

(Any time you get hurt it randomly tosses 5-6 lit bombs into the room with you. This usually goes about as well as you'd expect.)

Comment

Beat Mom's Heart!

Azazel + Book of Revelations + Ludovico Technique = WON RUN SON.

Comment

NBA Jam On Fire Ed. is $3.27 on Xbox One. Better than $20 for NBA Playgrounds.
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Does The Binding of Issac dungeon seeds work across all versions?

I have the Switch version.
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                        Does The Binding of Issac dungeon seeds work across all versions?

I have the Switch version.
                        Heard it does, though there might be some minor variations in items due to which updates are installed.

Had a run where The Void opened up after It Lives, and I had a Chaos Card, so I went for it. I found Delirium on the first boss room...and missed with the Chaos Card.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          Heard it does, though there might be some minor variations in items due to which updates are installed.

Had a run where The Void opened up after It Lives, and I had a Chaos Card, so I went for it. I found Delirium on the first boss room...and missed with the Chaos Card.
                          Cool. Then we should keep a list of interesting ones.

V3SL PKPR
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Switch online service details released. Goes live sometime in early 2018, online play will be free until then. $3 for a month, $8 for 3 months, $20 for a year.

The bad: Chat, etc. will be through your smartphone which you connect to the Switch via an app. Wat.

The awesome: There will be a growing library of on-demand classic games you can access at any time as long as you're subscribed.

Comment

Insomniac games released a preview of a new Spider-Man game exclusive for the PS4. It looks really smooth, and fun for any Spider-Man fan out there.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

It looks interesting. Great visuals.

But I'm really sick of God of War and Arkham styles of games. Button mashers are so boring. A great GTA-type Spider Man game would be amazing.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X