Never Forget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Forget

Pay respects. Remember this tragedy. It was a dark day that shouldn't be forgotten. No memes, no viral videos, no anything. Bow your heads, and remember. That's all I ask.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Re: Never Forget

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Pay respects. Remember this tragedy. It was a dark day that shouldn't be forgotten. No memes, no viral videos, no anything. Bow your heads, and remember. That's all I ask.
    This! Times infinity!

Never forget!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

http://www.nmubaseball.net/uscho911/
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Every year on this day I feel a deep-seated rage that will probably never be assuaged.

I guess the experience of having someone try to kill you will do that to a person. 

Some of the memories of that sunny morning are still so vivid: a colleague looks up from his desk and says “an airplane just flew into one of the towers at the World Trade Center,” and my reply, “that can’t be an accident.” Then the next plane hits. No way to telephone anyone: land lines and cell phone service were both overwhelmed by the sheer volume of people trying to make calls, and back then texting wasn’t really an option.

Then the concern, “what is coming next?” and wondering if you’ll ever get to speak to the people you love again, wondering if you’ll even be able to leave Manhattan that day or if there will be some kind of quarantine. Finally getting home, only to learn about how badly the teachers at my children’s school handled the delivery of the news to them, causing them needless anxiety and fear. "Did something happen to Daddy?" "We don't know, dear." aargh.

Then, each day that follows, walking to work in the morning and seeing the plume of smoke rising from the ruins, and walking to the train in the evening and again seeing the plume of smoke rising from the ruins, day after day, week after week, knowing that the plume includes the gaseous remnants of people you once knew and collaborated with. Every day, seeing more and more flyers with pictures and the words “missing”, of people who disappeared forever that day.

Yeah, every year on this day, I am enraged in a way that will probably never go away.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

My parents' next door neighbor died in the towers, as did five members of my high school graduating class. I felt and feel so deeply sad for their surviving family members. For most of us, our grief is intimate and works itself out on our personal timescale. We lose a parent and we eventually find our way through it as part of the ordinary cycle of existence. Or we lose a child and somehow find our way to live with such an outrageous violation of the same. For them, they had all that loss and grief but also had some aspects of the meaning stolen from them, since it was first a public event, then a public cause, and finally a public memory.

This remembrance is simply for the people who died and for their loved ones who remain.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Thanks for preserving this for us.
            Twitter: DanMountSports
            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

DC Air National Guard story from that day..
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...ml?tid=HP_more
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                DC Air National Guard story from that day..
                http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...ml?tid=HP_more
                Whynt they interview the pilot who did shoot it down??
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Please, television networks, do not put that video of the second plane striking the tower on an endless loop today......

There was a story this morning on television news of a thwarted plot to bomb the 9-11 Memorial.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                    Thanks for preserving this for us.
                    This was an incredible thread. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any kind of Social Media. USCHO was the social media. Thank you.
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Thank you aparch. I have been off the site for awhile but came back on this morning specifically looking for this thread.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Perfectly said Brenthoven.

Comment

Thanks again aparch.

Comment

I re-read that thread every so often, and it's still amazing the different things going on with the confusion, the fear and true concern for those who were often at each others' proverbial throats around here. It's also telling in the immediate jump to blame and a few people looking to bin Laden so early on when much of the nation either didn't know him or overlooked him because he wasn't thought to have the sophisticated means of pulling off an attack so complex.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

In Tempe for 9/11 they have been doing a field of flags, called the Tempe Healing Field, with one flag for each person that died, with a tag attached to each flag with a few details about that person. It's very nicely done and compelling but not overdone. We've gone to it a number of times and will take the kids there this weekend when we have time.

http://raillife.com/tempe-healing-field-911-tribute/
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Still as stunning and terrible an event as we've had in this country. The loss of life in terms of victims and volunteers was staggering.

Also, its affects have and will continue to greatly affect the world. Today we live in a new worldwide paradigm (a 'cool' war) and I have little doubt 9/11 aided this outcome.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                              X