Michigan State's Eternal Optimist Thread, 2014-15 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    We going to get a sweep or just tease me again?
    *Sigh*

Comment

Re: Michigan State's Eternal Optimist Thread, 2014-15 edition

The OSU series sorta helped me confirm some thoughts I have about the team in general and some of the parts in particular.

Overall it's easier on the eyes as a fan than in the last few seasons, and we're seeing a few more of those goal-scorer-type goals than last season, where there were more of those scrappy kind where they keep whacking at it until it finds the net. We're still looking for more than one or two guys who are scoring threats every time they cross the blue line. Clone Matt Berry or even Ferrantino a few times and we'd have a few more goals from the scoring chances we ARE getting.

The defense is also significantly improved over last year. Although there are nights we're getting outworked along the boards and should find ways to spend more time in the opponent's D-zone, I see fewer give-aways and more support in moving the puck forward. Still blocking shots and that also helps.

The power play must improve. We can't spend the year at 10% and expect to end up with a winning record.

As far as individual expectations, it looks like the aforementioned Berry is on his way to a big senior season numbers wise. The guy can skate, handle the puck and has incredible instincts. Ferrantino and Maceachern give the team a lift too when they step on the ice, although the latter has a tendency to take on more resistance at times than he can overcome. But Mac's a great penalty killer up high and one of reason's our PK is one of the best.

Another senior I'm seeing playing great at times is Darnell, who while less the physical player he has been, is in noticeably better condition than he has been I think will be in our top 5 points guys when it's all said and done. His sharp-angle wrister on Thursday was a thing of beauty besides . Another guy who seems to be getting it together is DeBlouw, who will always give some good solid checks, but also is handling and distributing the puck patiently and maturely. He'll get on the board too.

Good-surprised: Connor Wood has a good burst and good wheels. Looks like he wants to score too ... I think he'll be an important player. Travis Walsh is gonna lead the team in shot blocks probably, but his puck-handling has improved too. He's also given MSU something they haven't had too much off: D-men who can score.

On the up-tick: Holland doesn't scare me as much with the puck behind his goal-line, which is a plus. Maybe it's taken awhile to heal but his stride is better and he's making better decisions. Along with Boyd, he's also getting off more shots, which can't be bad. It'll take Draeger a bit longer to be on top of things.

They are who I thought they were
      I can certainly see the skill level of a Josh Jacobs, and it's refreshing to see a freshman D-man want to be a part of the offense. Ace at the right point on the power play too.

Sometimes spotted:
      David Bondra, Ryan Keller, Dylan Pavelek (Fr)

Where are they?
      Brock Krygier, Tanner Sorenson.
      Sorenson's kind of an enigma to me. He's + to ++ when he's on the ice, but he's been a scratch for a long stretch (off-ice issues?). I thought Krygier was one of our better-skating, smart D'man last year (and as a Freshman), but I'm not sure he's seen much ice time this season.

Just to pick out and hopefully not too much picking ON particular players so far.
      Last edited by owslachief; 11-26-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Ok... what the eff. Didn't watch, listen, or look at any stats of the game, but how do we lose to Princeton? Especially by more than one?
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Good job by State on Saturday - got a little shaky in the third after Princeton scored twice, but Spartans held on behind Hildebrand for the win
          "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Ok... what the eff. Didn't watch, listen, or look at any stats of the game, but how do we lose to Princeton? Especially by more than one?
            I didn't see the game - I was at work at the time - but Phinney had, apparently, the performance of his life in goal.

Nice to see the rebound on Saturday, but, yeah, it was a bummer to leave New Jersey with only one win. Business picks up this week. I'll be happy if we split with the Gophers - given our occasional glimmers of hope, I think we can do that.

Elsewhere, looking at the Spartan Fund website, the money gauge still hasn't been re-posted for the renovation project, so I can't imagine things are going too well. I'll probably chip in another $15 when I get paid Friday. If I keep at my current pace of $15 per month, we'll get there in about 11,000 years.
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Not like I'm in any position to tell anyone how to spend their money, but I do find it disappointing that these big donors are willing to pony up huge amounts of cash to redo locker rooms for basketball and football (practice facility) that were just renovated or built within the decade while hockey has now twice promoted fundraising campaigns (one for new arena interest, now for renovations) and they go seemingly ignored.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                Not like I'm in any position to tell anyone how to spend their money, but I do find it disappointing that these big donors are willing to pony up huge amounts of cash to redo locker rooms for basketball and football (practice facility) that were just renovated or built within the decade while hockey has now twice promoted fundraising campaigns (one for new arena interest, now for renovations) and they go seemingly ignored.
                Fan base morale is extremely low and I cannot imagine it dramatically picking up this year. But it is no secret that hockey has become a very, very distant third to b-ball and football.

I was extremely disappointed that we dropped a game against aprinceton, who by all accounts is awful. It's hockey and things happen, but if we languish beneath .500 all season then problems for Anastos and the program will emerge.

We need a big home win. At least 3 points this weekend will feel good and keep our heads above water early in the B1G race.

Comment

Princeton played much better against the Spartans than it did the week before - the Tigers have a new coach now, and it looks like they're getting his message about playing an up-tempo, attacking game. State may have outshot Princeton on Friday, but the truth is this was a series played between two young teams still searching for their identities. A split was about right. This is not one of the the powerhouse MSU teams of the '80s - it's not even the NCAA title team of 2007.

Comment

Well, obviously. These are some dark days right now, but this team at least looks better than last year's, and they outscored Princeton 12-3. Princeton may have improved but there's no reason we shouldn't have swept last week.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Princeton actually dominated stretches of the weekend in the offensive zone. State had a pair of 2-on-0s that could have made the weekend easier, but didn't convert either one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
                        Princeton actually dominated stretches of the weekend in the offensive zone. State had a pair of 2-on-0s that could have made the weekend easier, but didn't convert either one of them.
                        Reminds me of the Ohio State weekend actually. We were slow to the boards and didn't really body-up when in our own defensive zone. That precipitated long stretches without the puck. However, we were defensively sound in keeping the puck out of the dangerous areas, and I don't think tOSU had a lot of grade-A scoring chances.

Our D blocks a lot of shots and we have a good goalie (although a tad shaky of late).

Comment

A little report on where things are with recruits, by the numbers. A few comments based on what I've seen either in person or via TV -

Committed for 2015-16 *=Signed Letter of Intent
                          *F Mason Appleton, Tri-City (USHL), 6'2 181 Shoots R, 19 GP, 6-5-11 line, +2. Tied for second on team with .158 Sh%. Lots of energy and leadership. His size is welcome addition.
                          *F Cody Milan, Tri-City (USHL), 6'2 175 Shoots R, 19 GP, 5-6-11 line. Great end-to-end skater, needs to work on defense and spacing. First full healthy start to a season in 2 years. 2013 U-18 Ivan Hlinka.
                          *D Zach Osburn, Chicago (USHL), 5'11 179 Shoots L, 14 games, 2-1-3 line. 2014 U17 Selects. Have not seen his work. Played Honeybaked U16 and Victory Honda U18.
                          *D Jerad Rosburg, Sioux City (USHL), 6'2 175 Shoots L, 12 games, 2-2-4 line, +11 (tied for 2nd on team). Offensive-minded D-man with great edge. 2013 U-18 int'l tournament.
                          *F Brennan Sanford, Des Moines (USHL), 6'1 211 Shoots L, 20 games, 2-4-6 line. Recently placed on 45-day IR. Will that put him behind, going into Fr. year?

Notes:
                          In general, this is obviously a bigger-sized class physically than we usually get but the upside looks OK.
                          F Marcel Godbout (Waterloo (USHL), 2-0-2 line) - smallish RW is on unknown plan for next Fall. Originally slated as a 2014, then 2015, but no LOI as far as I can see. Could be walk-on? Looked pretty good in WJrA Challenge a couple years back, but on paper, appears to have taken step backward from last season.

I'll have thoughts on 2016 and beyond in follow-up
                          Last edited by owslachief; 12-05-2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Sigh...

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

The scoreboard may not show it, but I was satisfied with how well we skated and went to the net in the first period. Special teams absolutely killed this team tonight though, and Wilcox is an All-American candidate for good reason.

MSU looked a bit beat down at times later in the game.

Comment

Much better tonight. Actually dominated for some stretches, which was a strange sight to see given last year we just played defense about 90% of the time against Minny. Still wish we could've come away with three points, but two is good. Off of Big Ten play until Jan 16/17, when we play at current Big Ten leader Penn State.

I didn't check to see who the stars of the game were, but Hildy should get first star solely for the OT save. That was a beaut.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X