Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2014-15 season

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Regardless of how this season goes, has Red said much about when he intends to retire?
    What Red has said publically for years and his son Gordie told me when I bumped into him 10 years ago was that when he starts holding the program back he'll stop. However, I've gotta believe that he's too stubborn to say "Uncle". If he does keep his word it would have to be this year I would think (but he might just stay through the end of his contract, 2015-16).

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/michi...l-be-his-last/

So unless Michigan makes the Frozen Four this season (it doesn't even look like they'll make the tournament) he'll step down IMHO. He might stay on through the end of his contract just in name only (which is pretty much what he's been doing for years anyway). So at the latest 2015-16 will be his last year. Whoever our new AD is probably wouldn't offer Berenson a new contract anyway (even though hockey isn't a huge money sport).

I believe streaker may have more info. on this than I do.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Al Renfrew is gone at 89.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        And UM Hockey legend Wally Grant passed last Friday. Bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          This says Al was 90.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...rew_passes.php
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Sorry to hear. Was a great man.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Nice story on Michigan Radio about Michigan Hockey's Greatest Generation

http://michiganradio.org/post/michig...est-generation

Al also coached at Tech and was remembered this week.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...201411112789dq

Comment

Nice rememberance at the pre- game last night.

As for the game- at least we won. The team and play was pretty disombobulated quite a bit last night. AIC interrupted a TON of passes, and managed to get players off the puck when they were moving around. The Yellow Jackets were not overly physical, but their positioning was good, even when we had control of the puck.

Michgian seemed hesitant to shoot a lot- frustrating to see players try a pass into traffic when they had open lanes for a shot.

Comment

Hooray, we swept the team that we should beat everytime. But as alfa pointed out, it wasn't as pretty as it should have been.

Now, on to being a grumpy Michigan fan that can never be happy...
                  What jerkface decided a 3:30 football game is a good idea in November, when there is a home hockey game the same night?

The Marylander in me actually wants to watch the whole football game, the hockey fan in me wants to watch the whole hockey game. Also, the part of me that knows it will be dark and cold(er) at 6 pm wants a noon kickoff. Since we all know this decision was made by tv schedules, who the heck is actually going to be watching Maryland vs. Michigan on tv that wouldn't be watching the game if it were at noon?

So, for any of you that are not also football fans, this is your warning that parking and traffic will be a cluster * on Saturday.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

So now what are they doing to Yost?

https://www.michigandaily.com/news/r...son-renovation

Regents to approve design for $49 million Dennison renovation

By CLAIRE BRYAN, Daily Staff Reporter
                    Published November 17, 2014

At Thursday’s meeting of the University’s Board of Regents, the governing body will vote to approve schematic designs for a $49 million renovation of the David M. Dennison Building.

The regents will also consider several other capital projects, including designs for the new Biological Science Building, renovations for the second floor of Lorch Hall and improvements to Yost Ice Arena.

In July 2014, the board approved the Dennison project and the hiring of Diamond Schmitt Architects to design the project. Thursday’s vote of approval will put the project into action.

If approved, LSA will relocate the International Institute and associated centers for international studies from the School of Social Work to the Dennison Building after the renovation is completed.

Approximately 106,000 gross square feet that have been vacated by the relocation of the Department of Astronomy from Dennison to West Hall will be renovated. Classrooms will be repurposed to create spaces for faculty work as well as graduate and undergraduate student collaboration.

The renovation is also expected to add 1,500 gross square feet of space to the building by enclosing an overhang area on the first floor and extending windows outward on the 10th floor. This will create a 10-story high-rise section of the building.

The estimated $49 million project will be funded entirely by LSA resources and investment proceeds. Scheduled construction will be completed in the summer of 2017.

Approved last winter, the new Biological Science Building will be built adjacent to the Life Sciences Institute on the site of the historic North Hall and the Museums Annex, both of which will be demolished.

The building is expected to cost $261 million, funded by LSA and Office of the Provost resources. From that total, $9 million is earmarked for the demolition of North Hall and the Museums Annex.

Currently, the Kraus Natural Science Building, built in 1915, houses the Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. This building has reached its capacity for the current number of researchers it can support and is limited in its ability to allow contemporary research, according to the project proposal. The two departments will eventually relocate to the new building.

The Ruthven Museums Building houses an additional part of EEB and the Anthropology, Natural History, Paleontology and Zoology museums. These museums, along with a portion of Herbarium specimens and dry collections, will transfer to the new building.

The facility will include new research laboratories, active learning classrooms with group tables instead of auditorium-esque seating, offices and the four museum collections. The laboratories will be constructed in an open plan to allow for increased collaboration.

The project will also build a connector from the new building to the Life Sciences Institute.

Both the EEB and MCDB are slated to complete their relocation to the new facility by 2019.

Comment

I can't find the article now, but what I saw said the Yost improvements would be a new ice surface and something about the roof on the North end.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Okay now that the B1G Ten Network has officially completed the screwing started by the B1G Ten Conference where is everyone going to park for Saturday's game?

First the conference schedules the games v. Penn State to be here on the same day as a football game. They could have just as easily flipped the home dates with the ones in March @ PSU and there would have been no problem. PSU football is at Illinois this weekend.

Now on Sunday the B1G Ten Network determined that the football game V. Maryland will start at 3:30. That means that the football game will be ending just as hockey fans are starting to arrive. It's going to be a C-L-U-S-T-E-R on Saturday folks!
                        Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                        Row 1
                        Seats 6 & 7
                        Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                          So now what are they doing to Yost?

https://www.michigandaily.com/news/r...son-renovation

Regents to approve design for $49 million Dennison renovation

By CLAIRE BRYAN, Daily Staff Reporter
                          Published November 17, 2014

At Thursday’s meeting of the University’s Board of Regents, the governing body will vote to approve schematic designs for a $49 million renovation of the David M. Dennison Building.

The regents will also consider several other capital projects, including designs for the new Biological Science Building, renovations for the second floor of Lorch Hall and improvements to Yost Ice Arena.

In July 2014, the board approved the Dennison project and the hiring of Diamond Schmitt Architects to design the project. Thursday’s vote of approval will put the project into action.

If approved, LSA will relocate the International Institute and associated centers for international studies from the School of Social Work to the Dennison Building after the renovation is completed.

Approximately 106,000 gross square feet that have been vacated by the relocation of the Department of Astronomy from Dennison to West Hall will be renovated. Classrooms will be repurposed to create spaces for faculty work as well as graduate and undergraduate student collaboration.

The renovation is also expected to add 1,500 gross square feet of space to the building by enclosing an overhang area on the first floor and extending windows outward on the 10th floor. This will create a 10-story high-rise section of the building.

The estimated $49 million project will be funded entirely by LSA resources and investment proceeds. Scheduled construction will be completed in the summer of 2017.

Approved last winter, the new Biological Science Building will be built adjacent to the Life Sciences Institute on the site of the historic North Hall and the Museums Annex, both of which will be demolished.

The building is expected to cost $261 million, funded by LSA and Office of the Provost resources. From that total, $9 million is earmarked for the demolition of North Hall and the Museums Annex.

Currently, the Kraus Natural Science Building, built in 1915, houses the Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. This building has reached its capacity for the current number of researchers it can support and is limited in its ability to allow contemporary research, according to the project proposal. The two departments will eventually relocate to the new building.

The Ruthven Museums Building houses an additional part of EEB and the Anthropology, Natural History, Paleontology and Zoology museums. These museums, along with a portion of Herbarium specimens and dry collections, will transfer to the new building.

The facility will include new research laboratories, active learning classrooms with group tables instead of auditorium-esque seating, offices and the four museum collections. The laboratories will be constructed in an open plan to allow for increased collaboration.

The project will also build a connector from the new building to the Life Sciences Institute.

Both the EEB and MCDB are slated to complete their relocation to the new facility by 2019.
                          http://regents.umich.edu/meetings/11...14-11-IX-9.pdf
                          Row 1
                          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            I can't find the article now, but what I saw said the Yost improvements would be a new ice surface and something about the roof on the North end.
                            http://regents.umich.edu/meetings/11...14-11-IX-9.pdf
                            Row 1
                            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

With that kind of money, my brother could build a great rink. And get some movement in a varsity program nearby.

Comment

What is wrong with the ice system, et al that they just put in? For crying out loud that's the only reason why I tolerated the rennovation in the first place. I was in Yost during construction, as was alfa, they re-did that crap then. If something is wrong the original company should pay for that repair. Also, why wasn't the north end of the roof addressed before? I understand that this won't really affect much as it is over the summer but come on people...

I bet this is DB Brandon's fault.

Comment

Working...
                                X