Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2014-15: The 30th Varsity Season

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Careful on expecting too much against Lake State. We swept them easily in November, and frankly, they didn't even look like a D1 team. But when they played us in Kato Jan 9-10, they were a very competent defensive team with a good goaltender, and at least a couple of playmakers. Are they on the verge of the Broadmoor? No, but this is not the pre-Christmas team, either. You guys can definitely play with them, but I wouldn't be surprised by a sweep either way in that one.
    I agree. I was hoping for a BSU sweep last weekend, which would have put the Beavers into fourth when all was said and done. But Lake State ended up getting the sweep.

And, don't forget, BSU swept you guys out the door just a couple of weeks ago!
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
      Book BSU for that series and have them wear their throwback green "Beavers" script jerseys, that would be a fun weekend! I know there was a non-conference series back in the CHA days against Lake Superior State where BSU and LSSU wore throwbacks from the old NAIA days.

Man, it is almost 20 years since my first trip to Huntsville? Where has the time gone?
      I. LOVE. THIS. IDEA. Then do it again in Bemidji in 2017 for the 20th anniversary of that BSU title. I would think you guys consider that one special since it was at the Glas and revengeful and whatnot. (By the way, that was my first and so far only trip to Bemidji. No kidding -- where HAS the time gone?)
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
        I. LOVE. THIS. IDEA. Then do it again in Bemidji in 2017 for the 20th anniversary of that BSU title. I would think you guys consider that one special since it was at the Glas and revengeful and whatnot. (By the way, that was my first and so far only trip to Bemidji. No kidding -- where HAS the time gone?)
        So do I. I always thought that having the script Alabama with Huntsville on the trailing banner was goofy, because ... well, we know who we are, right?

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          We have exceeded my expectations! I think that we can, at a minimum, split our remaining home games, which gets us to nine wins overall and eight in league play. Also, a roadie at Lake State should be, at minimum, a sweep, despite how hot Defiel is playing right now. Did he shut UAH out? Yes, but he did so in a game with two major penalties assessed to one UAH player, and at the time, said player was centering the Chargers' highest volume shooter. The Chargers fairly well crushed the Lakers the next night. I desire a sweep but expect a split, and I think that 18 league points gets us into the playoffs. (I'll know more today when I do the analysis on wchaplayoffs.com.)

I don't see us winning at Tech or BG save a lights-out Carmine performance and timely goals in tandem, which is probably more likely over Phillips (who is off of the peak he had early) than the BG trio. Also, UAH had greater success against Tech (where the games were two-goal affairs that the Huskies controlled but did not dominate) than BG (which was admittedly early in the season while this team was identifying itself, as I'm fairly sure that this evolution of the UAH squad beats CC).

I was thinking about your question, too, Red Cows. I'm also still mad that we only took a point off of the Mavs.

GFM

Geof, during the Christmas break Gordie went home and was fitted with new contacts and ever since he has not been the same goalie. I'm not saying that Huntsville can't sweep the Lakers but I would be awful surprised if the Lakers do not get the sweep themselves.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
            Geof, during the Christmas break Gordie went home and was fitted with new contacts and ever since he has not been the same goalie. I'm not saying that Huntsville can't sweep the Lakers but I would be awful surprised if the Lakers do not get the sweep themselves.
            I have some glasses that he can borrow for the games ...

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I have some glasses that he can borrow for the games ...

GFM
              NO Thank you....... You Rascal
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

UAH has picked up another commitment for next season, a big D-man.

http://nahl-fairbanks.stats.pointstr...seasonid=12872

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  UAH has picked up another commitment for next season, a big D-man.

http://nahl-fairbanks.stats.pointstr...seasonid=12872
                  Thanks, Bill. That's two Ice Dogs headed down here.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Thanks, Bill. That's two Ice Dogs headed down here.

GFM
                    Your Welcome Geof.

Here's the NAHL press release on Teets: http://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=13629

Comment

I ran into Justin Cseter in Madison today. I asked how the leg was, and he said, "Oh, it wasn't as bad as the media played it up to be," which is probably true, but ... Ceets is a hockey player.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

http://hhavochockey.stats.pointstrea...seasonid=13090

Comment

I've just really always liked him. He's quiet but smart and really came together over four years, on and off.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

UAH returns to WCHA play this weekend where they've played well recently. I'm glad Tech's trip to Huntsville was earlier in the season. Any thoughts about what we might see in Houghton this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                              UAH returns to WCHA play this weekend where they've played well recently. I'm glad Tech's trip to Huntsville was earlier in the season. Any thoughts about what we might see in Houghton this weekend?
                              Well, you got Guerriero right up there at the peak of his powers, but the only problem was that Reid-Pierce-Fletcher couldn't play against both of your top two lines.

We do all the gritty stuff. Guys block shots. Guys finish checks. We're not as fast as you are, and we're not as offensively skilled, but we will keep coming and coming. It's lunch-pail hockey, but it's winning hockey right now.

Max McHugh has gotten it nailed. If we stay out of the box, Prince-McHugh-Brears can flat bring it. Prince likes to shoot and has a heavy shot, and he often shoots to generate a rebound unless he's playing a big body in front of the net. McHugh has good hands and is pretty elusive. Brears has a nice wrist shot that he can get off without need a lot of time and space.

Our second line of late has been Alex Carpenter (a WMU kid that didn't stick there and transferred here), a small guy that likes to bang it combined with Brennan Saulnier and Matt Salhany. Saulnier has good hands and likes to stickhandle low when he doesn't have a good passing lane, which is probably a result of him being 1) from the Canadian Maritimes, where they like to dangle and 2) really small. He has a tendency to take dumb penalties, including taking two majors in a game earlier this year. But he can be fun to watch. And Matt Salhany may not have great hands, but he has an extra gear that he's learned to use well. If he can't get a path to the net, he's really good at slowing just a hair and looking the defense into thinking that he'll pass. That's a new development, and he's also bought in completely to the defense end of things. 13-24-22 is our smallest line by far.

Then there's the Bulldog Line, which sadly will be missing Craig Pierce for a little bit. Reid-Pierce-Fletcher really frustrated Mel down here, and they're a matchup problem. They take pride in shutting guys down: winning pucks along the walls, good sticks in the neutral zone, etc. They're not the fastest, and they're not the biggest (okay, Fletch is a big guy), but they play their butts off, and I love them, and they know it.

The fourth line has been a bit of a jumble this year, and what you'll probably see is Regan Soquila in at LW with Jeff Vanderlugt and Josh Kestner. Soquila hasn't really shown the numbers he had with the Merritt Centennials, but every so often I see a flash that he might make the jump. Vandy, man, I just like that guy. Smart, funny, gives a crap. He's got a big body, decent feet, decent hands, and makes good passes. And then Kesty is our local kid who lit up a lower-level junior league and is now getting a chance in D-I. It finally looks like the game is slowing down for him, and he gets a few good shots on every game.

In back, the four best folks are Brandon Carlson, Brandon Parker, Frank Misuraca, and Cody Champagne. Carlson can play all over the ice and is a lot of fun. Parker makes great passes and loves that slap pass from the point and putting a shot in to make a rebound (though I want him to get a geno before the year is done). Frank has a great shot, moves the puck well, skates well, and doesn't get overwhelmed by bigger players. Champagne doesn't look like a freshman anymore.

After those guys, you'll see some combination of Ben Reinhardt (seriously, go on YouTube to see how much they loved him in Pembroke), Graeme Strukoff (likes to hit), Richard Buri (who has all the tools and sometimes knows how to use them), and Anderson White (kinda the same, although he's probably the fastest skater not named Salhany).

I think that the legend of Carmine Guerriero is well-known, but dangit, Matt Larose looked great last weekend against the U-18 team — the best that he has all year when I've been watching. It would be easy to be losing your edge, but he's there. And Jordy Uhelski may make the trip because they like having him around.

It's good to see the work and the coaching pay off. I've gone from expecting to lose to expecting to win (although I really only have hope this weekend at Houghton).

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Geof, is Marooney out of the lineup? Loved the effort when he played here in Sioux City, but I can see where the penalties might be frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                X