CWHL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CWHL News

BU played a depleted Blades team on Saturday at 3 at Walter Brown. The Blades roster has been posted, but the Blades who showed up to play were a different group of people: quite apart from Stack, Buesser and Schaus who weren't even on the roster, this weekend we were also missing Potter, Lamoreaux, Decker, Marvin and Bolden. The Blades were faster and stronger than BU, but BU were much better coordinated. The Blades defense in particular was ragged and showed signs of not having played together much before hand; there was virtually no visible coordination between defensemen and at times they seemed to be playing the unorthodox 3-1-1 formation. Meanwhile, the Poulin-Lefort-Sutherland line in particular was very effective at getting to the net, with BU outshooting the Blades 35-24, including 18-5 in the middle period. What pulled it out for the Blades was (a) a line switchup going into the third period, putting Dempsey on the wing on Knight's line rather than centering a line of her own, which quickly led to a go-ahead goal at 4:33 of the third; and (b) some poor choices from Erin O'Neil as goalie in the second half of the game, including being much too far out on Llanes's GWG.

Bach for BU looked very good, and it was nice to see Megan Myers, formerly of D3 Utica, get significant ice time and score a goal for the Blades.

This version of the Blades will have a hard time competing against a Toronto with Bozek and Terry. Hopefully some of the MIA crew will come back for the regular season.

Comment

Nice recap of the BU/Blades game here: http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2...-hit-at-walter

Seems like Stanley Cup of Chowder is planning on having increased Blades coverage this year, which would be great.

Comment

The Blades took the Harvard game 4-0. Goaltending was a big difference-maker, Ott played the two periods I saw and continues to cement her status as most baffling national team snub, and Maschmeyer was sharp but beatable. The extra two weeks of practice and the addition of Monique Lamoreaux (on a defensive pairing with Alyssa Gagliardi) made a big difference to the Blades' defence, and Knight has really broken away from the pack in terms of speed and skill. Shots on goal were pretty even (25-22 Blades was the last I remember, box doesn't seem to be available) but quality chances were heavily skewed to the Blades. There was one PK in the third (Bolden, duh) where the Blades had control of the puck for what seemed like 90 seconds of the two minutes and Harvard could do nothing to get it.

I don't know how much practice time Harvard have had, but I wasn't as impressed by them as I was expecting to be. There were a lot of good individual efforts, especially from Daniels and Mary Parker, and the defence was pretty coordinated, but I didn't see great chemistry on the forward lines. It may be an unfair comparison because I came from the end of the game at BC where all the lines are clicking. This didn't help me in rating Harvard as much as I thought it would.

Comment

Working...
        X