Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-2018 Division I Commitments

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Does every non-athlete who enrolls in a college do some exhaustive search beforehand? Some do, some don't, just like some people spend months researching what automobile to buy, while others show up at a lot and make a deal. There is no single "one size fits all" approach to most things in life. If a person selects a college that winds up being less than optimal, five years after graduation it isn't going to matter all that much; the most important outcome is to get a degree.

For certain players -- goalies in particular -- waiting can be a disadvantage. If a goaltender wants to attend a particular school, as soon as another goalie from her class commits there, it is unlikely that there will be any more scholarship money available. She is the one who has to spend four years of her life there, so if she thinks that is what she wants, IMO it is narrow-minded to say that her commitment is a sign of ego on the part of anyone in her family.
    That's the 2nd best post ever!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
      I'll stand by what I said.

As for homework, I guess we just have a different grading system.
      There were 2 players referenced in this chain. One did A LOT of homework by anyone's grading system; visited schools, consulted with coaches and others. She was offered by many top schools and chose the one she wanted - after still visiting other schools.

The other girl has grown up wanting to goto Wisconsin her entire life. Grew up going to their games. She had other offers too. But if that's where she wants to to and they offered her a scholarship, what's going to change if she waits a year. And, again most of the top players in her birth year have committed or are well down that process of doing so.

I agree with you all that it is getting too young. But I don't disparage the players for committing once they've been offered at a place they really want.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
        There were 2 players referenced in this chain. One did A LOT of homework by anyone's grading system; visited schools, consulted with coaches and others. She was offered by many top schools and chose the one she wanted - after still visiting other schools.

The other girl has grown up wanting to goto Wisconsin her entire life. Grew up going to their games. She had other offers too. But if that's where she wants to to and they offered her a scholarship, what's going to change if she waits a year. And, again most of the top players in her birth year have committed or are well down that process of doing so.

I agree with you all that it is getting too young. But I don't disparage the players for committing once they've been offered at a place they really want.
        Who was disparaging anyone? I admitted that my daughter would have done the same thing if given the offer from UW as a Freshman??

Comment

Who was disparaging anyone? I admitted that my daughter would have done the same thing if given the offer from UW as a Freshman??
          You didn't but there are at least 2 posters who implied these decisions were "stupid". That's pretty disparaging.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            I have a question -- if a player commits to a university their freshman (or sophomore or junior or senior) year, and then they suffer a career-ending injury prior to matriculating, do they still get a scholarship?

What if a new coach comes to the school before this commitment graduates high school? Either one could change their mind, so why bother with such an early commitment. Call me crazy, but I think it would put pressure on a lot of other highly recruitable players if these kids start committing so early.

Comment

So are these girls graduating HS in 2017 or 2018?
              Pass the puck

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
                So are these girls graduating HS in 2017 or 2018?
                Pretty sure it's spring of '17 for HS graduation...to begin their college experience in the fall of '17.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Player....................Position ...............(Current Team) .......................Hometown

(Based on reliable info, but to paraphrase Yogi, "It ain't official 'til it's official.")
                  * Denotes commitments are official, as announced by the school

Bemidji State

Boston College

Boston University

Brown

Clarkson

Colgate

Connecticut

Cornell

Dartmouth

Harvard

Lindenwood

Maine

Mercyhurst

Merrimack

Minnesota
                  Alex Gulstene ..................G .........................(NAHA) ......................Vancouver, BC

Minnesota State

New Hampshire

North Dakota

Northeastern
                  Brooke Hobson ...............D ......................(A&W Bears) ................Prince Albert, SK

[B]Ohio State[/B

Penn State

Princeton

Providence

Quinnipiac

Rochester

Robert Morris

Rensselaer

St. Cloud State

St. Lawrence

Syracuse

Union

Vermont

Wisconsin
                  Kyleigh Hanzlik .....................F .......................(NAHA) ...................Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Yale

U.S. 1: Wisconsin 1;

Canada 2: British Columbia, and Saskatchewan 1 each;
                  Last edited by Hux; 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Alex Gulstene was at USA Hockey's U15 National Camp this summer. Not sure how dual citizenship fits into your categories.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Eagle View Post
                      Alex Gulstene was at USA Hockey's U15 National Camp this summer. Not sure how dual citizenship fits into your categories.
                      Hometown (and country in this case) not birthplace.

Comment

Hometown (and country in this case) not birthplace.
                        She was actually born in Chicago.

Comment

Wisconsin:

Delaney Drake....................F ...............(NAHA) .......................Traverse City, Mich.

Comment

Player....................Position ...............(Current Team) .......................Hometown

(Based on reliable info, but to paraphrase Yogi, "It ain't official 'til it's official.")
                            * Denotes commitments are official, as announced by the school

Bemidji State

Boston College

Boston University

Brown

Clarkson

Colgate

Connecticut

Cornell

Dartmouth

Harvard

Lindenwood

Maine

Mercyhurst

Merrimack

Minnesota
                            Alex Gulstene ..................G .........................(NAHA) ......................Vancouver, BC

Minnesota State

New Hampshire

North Dakota

Northeastern
                            Chloe Aurard ..................F .....................(France 18s) ........ Villard de Lans, France
                            Skylar Fontaine ..............D ....................(Mass Spitfires) ...........East Greenwich, RI
                            Brooke Hobson ...............D ......................(A&W Bears) ................Prince Albert, SK

Ohio State

Penn State

Princeton

Providence

Quinnipiac

Rochester

Robert Morris

Rensselaer

St. Cloud State

St. Lawrence

Syracuse

Union

Vermont

Wisconsin
                            Delaney Drake .....................F .......................(NAHA) ........................Traverse City, MI
                            Kyleigh Hanzlik .....................F .......................(NAHA) ...................Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Yale

U.S. 3: Michigan, Rhode Island and Wisconsin 1 each;

Canada 2: British Columbia, and Saskatchewan 1 each;

France 1
                            Last edited by Hux; 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Ohio State
                              Tatum Skaggs..............F...............(Chicago Mission).....................Milwaukee, WI

Comment

According to twitter accts:

2017 grads:

Skylar Podvey. D NAHA Upper Montclair, NJ to OSU
                                Maddie Mills F/D SSM Sewickley, PA to Cornell
                                Kristy Pidgeon F Cornwall, ON to Cornell

Comment

Working...
                                X