Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-2018 Division I Commitments

Originally posted by CanadaDude View Post
    I thought it was more along the lines that US girls repeat grade 7 to help increase academic and athletic scholarship money for prep high schools. Thus many are a year behind in high school.
    No. The difference in ages at the time of graduation is almost always determined by the month they were born and the age at which the student started school. Sometimes parents hold parents back a year from starting school if they feel they are not ready due to a health issue or some other obstacle such as a speech problem. Canadian girls tend to often be younger by comparison when they graduate from high school and enter college, and European players are usually older.

In general, attempting to equate a birth year with a recruiting class is a flawed approach, because the exceptions just cause confusion.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      No. The difference in ages at the time of graduation is almost always determined by the month they were born and the age at which the student started school. Sometimes parents hold parents back a year ......
      Now there is a thought provolking statement .
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Supernaut View Post
        Pakidnyc is just getting the threads mixed up or the birth years mixed up. All 98's are on the 16/17 thread.
        NO I am not getting the threads mixed up. If they graduate in 2017 regardless if they're 98s or 99s, heck I even know of a 97 who's graduating in 2017..,,then they go in the 2017-18 thread. It's based on grad year not birth year. And all of the 98s that I previously mentioned are graduating in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
          NO I am not getting the threads mixed up. If they graduate in 2017 regardless if they're 98s or 99s, heck I even know of a 97 who's graduating in 2017..,,then they go in the 2017-18 thread. It's based on grad year not birth year. And all of the 98s that I previously mentioned are graduating in 2017.
          I do believe the thread title, whether it be 2016 - 17 or 2050 - 51, refers to the year that the recruits listed plan on matriculating at said institution. Nothing to do with birth year or graduation year.

It is fairly common for kids who have completed their freshman year in high school (ie public), to repeat that year if they go either to prep school, or an elite team with accredited academic programs. It is also not uncommon for a senior to play a PG year in the JWHL or at a high level prep program. The thread is still about when they start college, not when life begins or high school ends.
          Last edited by DC78-82; 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM.
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by CanadaDude View Post
            I thought it was more along the lines that US girls repeat grade 7 to help increase academic and athletic scholarship money for prep high schools. Thus many are a year behind in high school.
            No, kids will repeat a year if they enter a Prep after freshman year.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
              Now there is a thought provolking statement .
              I can't even pass that off as a typing error.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Clarkson has new commit, Jenna Brenneman, G, Breck Varsity , no idea what year.....have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by drewcu View Post
                  Clarkson has new commit, Jenna Brenneman, G, Breck Varsity , no idea what year.....have at it.
                  She's a Junior now so she would be a 2016-17 commit.
                  http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/rost...bseason=175784
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                    I do believe the thread title, whether it be 2016 - 17 or 2050 - 51, refers to the year that the recruits listed plan on matriculating at said institution. Nothing to do with birth year or graduation year.

It is fairly common for kids who have completed their freshman year in high school (ie public), to repeat that year if they go either to prep school, or an elite team with accredited academic programs. It is also not uncommon for a senior to play a PG year in the JWHL or at a high level prep program. The thread is still about when they start college, not when life begins or high school ends.
                    CORRECT! And again, all of the 98s I mentioned are currently in grade 10, thus they are matriculating in 2017. Someone suggested because they are 98s they belong in the 2016-17 thread and I was merely stating that they are correctly placed in the 2017-18 thread as they all graduate in 2017. I'm talking about some top-98s who for various reasons (late bday, held back late start intentionally, repeat 7th or 9th grade depending on the prep school, etc).
                    Last edited by pakidnyc; 11-15-2014, 12:48 AM.

Comment

These may be 2017-18 recruits:

Via Twitter:

Michaela Boyle ‏@michaelaboyle16 · 50m50 minutes ago  Reading, MA
                      Excited to announce my commitment to play college hockey at Clarkson University. Thanks to everyone who helped me get here ���� #goknights

Meaghan Hector ‏@Meaghan_Hector · Nov 21
                      Proud and excited to announce my commitment to Clarkson University! #GoldenKnights
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I wonder if the Clarkson staff is aware of these? What are these girls, 14-15 years old right now?

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                          I wonder if the Clarkson staff is aware of these? What are these girls, 14-15 years old right now?
                          Not sure. I think both are 15 year olds.
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                            Boyle is a NDC kid, so I would guess in her case at least the answer is yes. That being said, kind of an atypical Clarkson recruit historically....being an American and all! Be interesting to see if this one holds up in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                              Boyle is a NDC kid, so I would guess in her case at least the answer is yes. That being said, kind of an atypical Clarkson recruit historically....being an American and all! Be interesting to see if this one holds up in a couple of years.
                              It's getting too easy for them to win Natty Championships. They are changing their recruiting strategies to see if they can win the harder way, w/Americans

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                                Shamrocks just played in a tournament at Clarkson, so unlikely they haven't had interaction with her.

Comment

Working...
                                X