Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give Advice On Posts from The Grinding Gears Thread: Delicate Sensibilities be Dammed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give Advice On Posts from The Grinding Gears Thread: Delicate Sensibilities be Dammed

Since it is apparently not welcome to give advice to fellow posters in the actual gear grinding thread (which is the exact opposite of what I think 95% of the posters thought), here is a thread to cross-post into, and give advice. Now, if posters just want to ***** and moan about their problems, without getting advice, they won't have to be saddled with so many posts meant to help them out. On the other hand, if you're interested in friendly advice, this is your spot.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Re: Give Advice On Posts from The Grinding Gears Thread: Delicate Sensibilities be Da

As a general matter, I'd suggest to people that they not get too worked up over comments they read on an internet message board.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Re: Give Advice On Posts from The Grinding Gears Thread: Delicate Sensibilities be Da

Subscribed because this has the potential to become the greatest thread in USCHO history.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Subscribed because this has the potential to become the greatest thread in USCHO history.
        It won't be. The build-up is too much, and it's intentional. The greatest threads happen by accident.

/{PROVICED
        /HOCKEYRAST
        /championchips
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          It won't be. The build-up is too much, and it's intentional. The greatest threads happen by accident.

/{PROVICED
          /HOCKEYRAST
          /championchips
          Singles threads 3-5.....
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I'm not sure which thread is the right one for this information.

To the extent that having one's computer or smartphone get hacked would grind anyone's gears.....

USB devices such as mice, keyboards and thumb-drives can be used to hack into personal computers in a potential new class of attacks that evade all known security protections, a top computer researcher revealed on Thursday.

Karsten Nohl, chief scientist with Berlin’s SR Labs, noted that hackers could load malicious software onto tiny, low-cost computer chips that control functions of USB devices but which have no built-in shields against tampering with their code.

Computers do not detect the infections when tainted devices are inserted into a PC because anti-virus programs are only designed to scan for software written onto memory and do not scan the “firmware” that controls the functioning of those devices, he said.

Once a computer is infected, it could be programmed to infect all USB devices that are subsequently attached to that PC, which would then corrupt machines that they contact.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              {PROVICED
              It is impossible to look upon this and not smile. Seriously, it alone justifies USCHO's existence.

Does anybody have the original, scriptural quotation?
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                I'm not sure which thread is the right one for this information.

To the extent that having one's computer or smartphone get hacked would grind anyone's gears.....
                This thread was probably a good choice. If you put it in another thread it might be confused as being advice and you might hurt someone's feelings too much.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I put ketchup on my hot dogs. #dealwithit
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Who complains about ketchup on hot dogs?

It's ketchup on brats where you start to run into issues.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Who complains about ketchup on hot dogs?
                      Me.

Ketchup is for fries, hashbrowns, meatloaf, and french toast. It belongs nowhere near hot dogs, sausages, or hamburgers.

Comment

Ketchup is for kids.

Do we need an Unpopular Opinions thread here too?
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Pretty much any place is rated NC-17 here in Chicago
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Me.

Ketchup is for fries, hashbrowns, meatloaf...
                            OK, right there with you.
                            Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            ...and french toast.
                            Wait... what the heck?

Butter and maple syrup. Fruit, perhaps. (I made a cherry compote for french toast a couple of weeks ago.) Bacon on the side if you like. Ketchup? What is wrong with you?
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              It is impossible to look upon this and not smile. Seriously, it alone justifies USCHO's existence.

Does anybody have the original, scriptural quotation?
                              From memory:

"KICK {PROVICED OUT OF HOCKEY RAST!1!11!!! THEY HAVE NOT WON NOTHING!!!11!!1!"

What was hilarious is that we all figured out he was actually holding the shift key down the whole time, and not just using CAPS lock, by the way the posts were typed out.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                              X