Boston Frozen Four tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston Frozen Four tickets

Yeah, I'm a priority 1 but haven't bothered getting tickets through the NCAA because I'll either buy them on the secondary market or go in with others for a suite. I might get tickets this time just to be safe. Then I can sell those if I get better seats.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
      ...I guess it's still possible that the NCAA turned some tickets back to the venue, but in general, but in general, that shouldn't have happened.
      Possible, and it appears to be happening -- both now and back in the day. Do you remember how we used to identify the poster or posters who "won" the lottery? Typically a small handful of posters got dramatically better seats than everybody else. In other words, they were assigned to widely scattered seats, in sections far more desirable than the rest of us received. It was always my belief that those tickets were returned by insiders who weren't able to use them.

In the earlier years, we didn't get our seat assignments until shortly before the tournament. That opened up the possibility that returned tickets might have been placed "on top of the pile" when it came time to do the seat assignments. But now that we select specific seats during the previous October, that possibility is all but eliminated for lottery participants.

It's quite interesting to learn that the ticket returns may still be happening, and that such seats are ending up with those who are patient enough and persistent enough to keep checking in with the box office on a periodic basis. Now for Boston, this would certainly be a high risk, high reward strategy. But in a more typical year, the reduced risk just might make this approach a very attractive option.

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      ...In the spring I watched as more and more seats started to open up, and I ended up in a club box. People/orgs/schools must have been backing out on tickets.
      Most likely individuals in the NCAA's own allotment, though possibly corporate friends. Returns from the participating schools, if any, wouldn't be available until the last minute.

Also, I'm going to suggest that those taking the time to return such tickets to circulation are Good Samaritans, not people who are guilty of "backing out." I doubt you intended any insult. But I do want to emphasize that when an insider goes to extra trouble to get unneeded great seats into the hands of ordinary fans, that behavior is both unselfish and commendable.

Point: With all that said, it's also possible that unsold premium seating is being quietly reclassified as regular seating as that year's tournament draws nearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        But after a while if they aren't sold out the NCAA will release them to the venue. Still at face value, but you don't get your point. This happened to me this year.
        Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        In other words, at some point the "lottery" closes, even if tickets remain. Most of us who follow this closely have our tickets long before the end of the lottery, so we don't pay much attention to the closing date. Also, I don't recall the closing date being publicized. I'll try to take note of that this year and post the info when I get it. Or, if someone beats me to the punch, so much the better.
        From this morning's e-mail, sent by the NCAA:

Ticket orders will be accepted until 11:59 PM Eastern Time, Friday, November 28, or until the available inventory is sold out, whichever occurs first.

Comment

From this morning's e-mail, sent by the NCAA:

Ticket orders will be accepted until 11:59 PM Eastern Time, Friday, November 28, or until the available inventory is sold out, whichever occurs first.
          Sale starts September 26. I am priority level 1 so my date is November 5. So the first five weeks are priority followed by three weeks of the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Sale starts September 26. I am priority level 1 so my date is November 5. So the first five weeks are priority followed by three weeks of the general public.
            I assume that this method of ticket sales (ticket sales dates assigned by priority levels) is meant as a way to reward fans who regularly attend the FF. Having never attended a FF, I think this method is fine and justifiable and recognize that I will have queue to the end of the line to get tickets.

My question: does this method dissuade scalpers? Or does it encourage them to open up several NCAA accounts and purchase tickets year after year achieving the higher priority levels to get the best tickets. And then inadvertently reducing the opportunity of the "real fan" to purchase tickets from the primary market.
            University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

So it looks like tickets will go on sale to new buyers on approximately Friday, November 7th.

There is an opportunity to sign up for an NCAA newsletter with updates on the ticket process. See http://www.ncaa.com/newsletter-signup/icehockeym. Presumably that newsletter will provide the exact date and time.

My recommendation for new buyers would be to plan on purchasing during the three week window in November, preferably at the beginning of that window. Clearly demand for FF tickets "ain't what it used to be." But given that we're back in Boston for the first time in a decade, there's an excellent chance that the public allotment will be sold out during the lottery process. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
                My question: does this method dissuade scalpers? Or does it encourage them to open up several NCAA accounts and purchase tickets year after year achieving the higher priority levels to get the best tickets. And then inadvertently reducing the opportunity of the "real fan" to purchase tickets from the primary market.
                In the early years of the current system, this did happen. But the scalpers & speculators are long gone. Why? The selection of a series of non-traditional cities as FF Hosts has leveled off ticket demand considerably.

The typical FF is no longer a tough ticket. Recent FFs have been near-sellouts, but buyers haven't been turned away. Tickets certainly change hands on the secondary market, but typically at face value -- or less. 2015 Boston could prove to be a tough ticket, and we might see a temporary return of the scalpers. But it's highly unlikely they'll have gotten their tickets with priority points. Scalpers can't really game the system if they can only make money once every five years or so. Four years of break even or worse, for the chance at one profitable year? The numbers just don't work.

Comment

In the early years of the current system, this did happen. But the scalpers & speculators are long gone. Why? The selection of a series of non-traditional cities as FF Hosts has leveled off ticket demand considerably.

The typical FF is no longer a tough ticket. Recent FFs have been near-sellouts, but buyers haven't been turned away. Tickets certainly change hands on the secondary market, but typically at face value -- or less. 2015 Boston could prove to be a tough ticket, and we might see a temporary return of the scalpers. But it's highly unlikely they'll have gotten their tickets with priority points. Scalpers can't really game the system if they can only make money once every five years or so. Four years of break even or worse, for the chance at one profitable year? The numbers just don't work.
                  Makes sense.

My recommendation for new buyers would be to plan on purchasing during the three week window in November, preferably at the beginning of that window. Clearly demand for FF tickets "ain't what it used to be." But given that we're back in Boston for the first time in a decade, there's an excellent chance that the public allotment will be sold out during the lottery process. IMHO.
                  Thanks - this is what I will be doing. Or heading out to the secondary market. :-)
                  University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

... and non-traditional venues (Ford Field) and bad luck (combination of Columbus -- a non-traditional city -- and four schools -- three of which have passionate, but small fan bases -- that were a loooonggg way from Columbus).

Comment

Here is the list of dates each priority gets to order. Also note that November 7 is the date those without priority can order but they must register with NCAA.com to order. It does not open to the general public until December 9th after those who register get the chance between November 7th and 28th.

http://www.ncaa.com/championships/ic...ts-hospitality

Priority 18

Sept. 26, 2014

Priority 17

Sept. 29, 2014

Priority 16

Oct. 1, 2014

Priority 15

Oct. 3, 2014

Priority 14

Oct. 6, 2014

Priority 13

Oct. 8, 2014

Priority 12

Oct. 10, 2014

Priority 11

Oct. 13, 2014

Priority 10

Oct. 15, 2014

Priority 9

Oct. 17, 2014

Priority 8

Oct. 20, 2014

Priority 7

Oct. 22, 2014

Priority 6

Oct. 24, 2014

Priority 5

Oct. 27, 2014

Priority 4

Oct. 29, 2014

Priority 3

Oct. 31, 2014

Priority 2

Nov. 3, 2014

Priority 1

Nov. 5, 2014

*NCAA.com Registrants*

Nov. 7, 2014
                      Last edited by BC/HE; 08-17-2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

only time i ever applied was back in 2004 Boston and i ended up getting them so i am a priority 1 still. gonna try to get them this year through the lottery, do i have a shot with such a low priority?

Comment

Will the prices be the same for all tickets ? Or will they have different prices between lower bowl and balcony ?
                          NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            only time i ever applied was back in 2004 Boston and i ended up getting them so i am a priority 1 still. gonna try to get them this year through the lottery, do i have a shot with such a low priority?
                            There have been tickets left over at the end of the lottery process since at least 2010. OK, the FFFF doesn't count. But the fact that Philly, Pitt, Tampa and even St. Paul had tickets left over certainly gives you hope.

My guess is that from Level 5 and above, demand will be similar to other years. The wild card in this conversation? The amount of demand at the levels immediately above you. Let me explain.

When it comes to supporting the FF within their home region, New Englanders have definitely been Boston Strong. Providence too. And for Frozen Four purposes, Albany apparently counts as home region. Looking at it from the outside, it appears to me that New Englanders are all in if the tournament is commutable -- meaning that it doesn't require overnight lodging. Failing that, large numbers stay away unless their favorite team is playing. And those who only travel for their favorite team have long since stopped buying tickets in the lottery.

FF lottery points have been earned within the region four times: Boston 1998; Providence 2000; Albany 2001 and Boston 2004. What this says to me is that there are a significant number of New Englanders holding 1 to 4 priority points. Most of the group probably hasn't applied or attended since 2004. Over the years I've referred to this as "dormant" priority.

So the question is, will all of the dormant priority in Levels 2-4 rise up as one, and eat up all of the tickets before you get your chance to flesh things out? In other words, are we looking at a Lottery of the Living Dead?

Could be. But ultimately your guess is as good as mine, if not better. Questions for you: Is there widespread excitement in NE about the 2015 FF? Do you have hockey buddies who are talking about getting back in, after years of being away? Or is any real buzz limited to hardcore college hockey fans?

Answer those questions and you'll have a better idea of your chances in the upcoming seat selection process.

Comment

There have been tickets left over at the end of the lottery process since at least 2010. OK, the FFFF doesn't count. But the fact that Philly, Pitt, Tampa and even St. Paul had tickets left over certainly gives you hope.

My guess is that from Level 5 and above, demand will be similar to other years. The wild card in this conversation? The amount of demand at the levels immediately above you. Let me explain.

When it comes to supporting the FF within their home region, New Englanders have definitely been Boston Strong. Providence too. And for Frozen Four purposes, Albany apparently counts as home region. Looking at it from the outside, it appears to me that New Englanders are all in if the tournament is commutable -- meaning that it doesn't require overnight lodging. Failing that, large numbers stay away unless their favorite team is playing. And those who only travel for their favorite team have long since stopped buying tickets in the lottery.

FF lottery points have been earned within the region four times: Boston 1998; Providence 2000; Albany 2001 and Boston 2004. What this says to me is that there are a significant number of New Englanders holding 1 to 4 priority points. Most of the group probably hasn't applied or attended since 2004. Over the years I've referred to this as "dormant" priority.

So the question is, will all of the dormant priority in Levels 2-4 rise up as one, and eat up all of the tickets before you get your chance to flesh things out? In other words, are we looking at a Lottery of the Living Dead?

Could be. But ultimately your guess is as good as mine, if not better. Questions for you: Is there widespread excitement in NE about the 2015 FF? Do you have hockey buddies who are talking about getting back in, after years of being away? Or is any real buzz limited to hardcore college hockey fans?

Answer those questions and you'll have a better idea of your chances in the upcoming seat selection process.
                              there will be another segment (which i will fall into this year) that will augment their purchase to get the max number of tickets... my normal purchase of 2 tickets will become 3 (definitely) and most likely, 4 tickets. normally, my buddy and i head out of town for the ff, but with it in boston, his son will likely come to the games and possibly his brother...

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                                there will be another segment (which i will fall into this year) that will augment their purchase to get the max number of tickets... my normal purchase of 2 tickets will become 3 (definitely) and most likely, 4 tickets. normally, my buddy and i head out of town for the ff, but with it in boston, his son will likely come to the games and possibly his brother...
                                Excellent point. And yet another reason why this is a year to lock up FF tickets up front.

Comment

Working...
                                X