X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bowes leaves Castleton for UNH

Originally posted by justahockeydad View Post
    it lloks like one of the assts from Platssburgh is vieing for the job

How about Mike Cox from Salve? Not sure what the story was re: his departure [school didn't even really report it]...but he can certainly coach [and a program without much support or even a home rink would be normal for him].

Comment

mr. cox would be an excellent choice for that program.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
        How about Mike Cox from Salve? Not sure what the story was re: his departure [school didn't even really report it]...but he can certainly coach [and a program without much support or even a home rink would be normal for him].
        Heard the commute from MA plus the lack of support was too much for him. If that is the case, doubt he would be interested in moving to VT for the Castleton job.

Comment

Heard Bowes took a player with him to UNH, can anyone confirm? How often does that happen D3 to D1?

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
            Heard Bowes took a player with him to UNH, can anyone confirm? How often does that happen D3 to D1?
            Jim Plumer had Ashley Salerno, one of his former Amherst players, on the Vermont roster last year. When Laura Halldorson moved from Colby to Minnesota, the Kennedy sisters followed her, but that was quite a while ago, so the game has changed quite a bit. There have been others as well, but I'd say that the general trend is a bit more in the other direction.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Yes, the UNH roster was posted two days ago. Nicoline Jensen, Castleton's leading scorer as a Frosh and Soph, is now at UNH.
              Here's the link to the UNH roster: http://unhwildcats.com/sports/wice/2014-15/roster
              THINK PINK
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                Yes, the UNH roster was posted two days ago. Nicoline Jensen, Castleton's leading scorer as a Frosh and Soph, is now at UNH.
                Here's the link to the UNH roster: http://unhwildcats.com/sports/wice/2014-15/roster
                Colby was DI when the Kennedy sisters played there so different story. I've never seen Jensen play, but her point totals over her two years at Castleton aren't astronomical enough to make me think she'll be a huge difference maker for UNH. I was under the impression that's what UNH really needs this year after the past few years of sub-par seasons, but she could be a great kid and hard worker. Every team needs that!

Comment

[QUOTE=whoop87;5996640]Yes, the UNH roster was posted two days ago. Nicoline Jensen, Castleton's leading scorer as a Frosh and Soph, is now at UNH.
                  Here's the link to the UNH
                  This is a tough loss for Castleton. They are not likely to replace a player of her caliber any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pucko View Post
                    I've never seen Jensen play, but her point totals over her two years at Castleton aren't astronomical enough to make me think she'll be a huge difference maker for UNH. I was under the impression that's what UNH really needs this year after the past few years of sub-par seasons!
                    Given that UNH is a team with only 6 returning forwards that achieved double digit points....and no other returning forwards who had more than a couple, I'd say a D3 team's leading scorer would likely help to add both needed leadership and some production to 3rd line duty at the very least. Since weak teams often lose games because of their lack of offensive depth beyond their top lines, I'd think she could actually be an important difference maker for UNH solely on that basis. Of course, she could also prove to even better than that if the opportunity and chemistry is there.
                    Last edited by Trillium; 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                      Given that UNH is a team with only 6 returning forwards that achieved double digit points....and no other returning forwards who had more than a couple, I'd say a D3 team's leading scorer would likely help to add both needed leadership and some production to 3rd line duty at the very least. Since weak teams often lose games because of their lack of offensive depth beyond their top lines, I'd think she could actually be an important difference maker for UNH solely on that basis. Of course, she could also prove to even better than that if the opportunity and chemistry is there.
                      Hard to imagine a D3 player walking into a D1 program as a Junior and assuming a leadership position off the bat - seems to be a lot of distrust and disrespect among the players at UNH based on the articles the past year and some of the more disruptive players are still there I think from what I have read. She may earn respect this season and be a leader next year but it will be very difficult to start off in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                        Hard to imagine a D3 player walking into a D1 program as a Junior and assuming a leadership position off the bat - seems to be a lot of distrust and disrespect among the players at UNH based on the articles the past year and some of the more disruptive players are still there I think from what I have read. She may earn respect this season and be a leader next year but it will be very difficult to start off in that position.
                        Leadership takes a great many forms, most of them unofficial....it seems you are thinking in terms of Cs and As, and I'm not at all. Often the best leadership comes from those without position power, who just quietly go about their business and provide a positive example for others. That's even more important in a divisive atmosphere...the more players you can bring in without that old baggage of negativity--and know how to contribute to a college team on and off the ice, the better.

I'm making the assumption that if she was the leading scorer in her first 2 years, and her coach wanted to have her follow him, she likely has many desirable qualities not only in terms of her potential production, but also likely in terms of work ethic, positive attitude, confidence, etc. That makes her a potential positive role model for others. Not to mention the maturity that generally comes with being 3 years older than the other incoming players.

In addition to that, whether she ends up being a huge offensive threat for UNH isn't necessarily critical to her being a difference maker either--my point was that even as a third line player you would expect that her offensive contributions would likely be a significant improvement versus the record of the incumbents.
                        Last edited by Trillium; 09-08-2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

That first year class at UNH is going to surprise a few people .....

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                            That first year class at UNH is going to surprise a few people .....
                            With the numbers this year, each player is going to have to be accountable on and off the ice. That will be a big change right there.

As for leadership, I'm not sure what direction the staff will take, or who will step up / evolve, but they better be ready to set good examples and build relationships based on the future, not the past.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

I for one hope she lights it up at UNH. I think there are many D3 players that could do well in D1, especially the upperclassman. Look how well RIT did their first year or Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                                I for one hope she lights it up at UNH. I think there are many D3 players that could do well in D1, especially the upperclassman. Look how well RIT did their first year or Penn State.
                                The RIT comment I get but Penn State? They were never a D3 team. They were a club team but in their first year they were virtually all recruits.
                                ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Working...
                                X