Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2014-15

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    I kept up via the Harvard Twitter feed and it was amazing to watch the goals coming fast and furious.
    The video that you missed seeing flashed past, never to be seen again, just like being at the rink and unlike ivyleaguedigitalnetwork.com. The ESPN3 feed had excellent camera work but they weren't very interested in replays and there seemed to be no way to rewind. Does anybody know whether ESPN3 has any sort of archive?

The undergraduate announcers (evidently from Clarkson?) were thorough and unbiased but would have driven driventoit crazy in one respect: a complete lack of the basic bracketology facts that we're all familiar with from this board. Both teams, they thought, had uncertain chances of making the tourney via Pairwise. And one of them said that Cornell was faced with a "winner go home" situation....

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
      The video that you missed seeing flashed past, never to be seen again, just like being at the rink and unlike ivyleaguedigitalnetwork.com. The ESPN3 feed had excellent camera work but they weren't very interested in replays and there seemed to be no way to rewind. Does anybody know whether ESPN3 has any sort of archive?

The undergraduate announcers (evidently from Clarkson?) were thorough and unbiased but would have driven driventoit crazy in one respect: a complete lack of the basic bracketology facts that we're all familiar with from this board. Both teams, they thought, had uncertain chances of making the tourney via Pairwise. And one of them said that Cornell was faced with a "winner go home" situation....
      I watched the Harvard-Quinnipiac game yesterday and you're right, the goals were never replayed. Even the winner. The announcers did a good job albeit a bit on the loquacious side. Usually go crimson.com puts up a video replay of all the goals from a previous game but I didn't see anything after Saturday's game. Perhaps ESPN has ownership. Would really like to see a replay of today's game.

It sucks that we have to play the Bobcats again next Saturday but at least we know what the final score will be if history is any indication.

Comment

Mixed feeling. I am really delighted that the Harvard women will have home ice for the NCAA.
        However, I am disappointed that a cousin's daughter is getting married at the same time on the same date. I doubt I can convince her to put her wedding off. It also seems a bit late to break off the engagement.
        Best of luck to the Harvard women and for those of you who will be able to get to Bright; I am jealous!!

Comment

I watched the Harvard-Quinnipiac game yesterday and you're right, the goals were never replayed. Even the winner. The announcers did a good job albeit a bit on the loquacious side. Usually go crimson.com puts up a video replay of all the goals from a previous game but I didn't see anything after Saturday's game. Perhaps ESPN has ownership. Would really like to see a replay of today's game.

It sucks that we have to play the Bobcats again next Saturday but at least we know what the final score will be if history is any indication.
          During the Regular Season broadcasts from Cheel they did not have many replays at all of the goals and when they tried to they managed to mess it up. I will tell you the 2 student announcers were from Clarkson and they are light years better then when they started out a few years ago. At least they know all the players names and did the play by play using the players names and not "the Harvard player is bringing the puck up ice," etc. that you hear from most student announcing teams. Kudos to those 2.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
            I think the Champions League in soccer also has this, although it rarely is used.
            Actually used every year, but in many cases the team in question already qualifies via regular means, in which case the spot does not go to another team from the same association, but to the next association in line to take a auto CL spot. (There are 22 Auto Spots and 10 Qualifying spots for the CL)

For example if Barcelona wins the CL, and they are also top 4 in the Spanish League they get their CL berth via the Spanish League spot, and the returning Championship spot is not used and that extra spot then given to the first country that has no auto CL berths (typically a country ranked about 12th to 13th), and other spots in the qualifying rounds are adjusted accordingly.
            Last edited by OnMAA; 03-08-2015, 10:59 PM.

Comment

The games are archived for at least a month. Here's the link if you want to watch any of the games from the past week:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/#type/replay/sport/hockey/
              THINK PINK
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

She does a lot of work in the corners and along the boards that result in Harvard goals even if she doesn't get assists. And I dispute the notion that she isn't a team player. She is willing to mix it up and help out her teammates in both zones. And if defense isn't a strength, why does she kill penalties for the Crimson? Would Katey Stone really put someone out there who wasn't responsible in her own zone? Don't think so.

I can't speak to her National program play or what other coaches think of her. Last year, she did take some dumb penalties. But she has been more responsible this year and I think she will only get better the next two years.
                I agree with you. Saw her play a few times last year, and then again yesterday. I liked the way she plays, works hard, always moving, not afraid to go in the dirty areas to win battles, and played very disciplined.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                  Does anybody know whether ESPN3 has any sort of archive?

The undergraduate announcers (evidently from Clarkson?) were thorough and unbiased....
                  You can see the whole game again by following the "Video" link found on the women's hockey schedule page of gocrimson.com. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to fast forward, only rewind, by placing the cursor on the end of the horizontal bar that runs along the bottom of the screen. So you could replay to your heart's content, but you had to let the video run through commercials, dead air and intermissions. So I turned on something from my TV recordings while waiting through two intermissions and the whole second period before getting to the eight-goal combined third period. I'm probably the only person tonight who watched Handel's "Rodelinda" from the Met and the Cornell/Harvard women's ice hockey game more or less simultaneously.

The undergraduate announcers did talk incessantly, but they did provide a lot of Xs and Os commentary of the "Harvard might have better success starting its breakout by chipping the puck out" and "they're only sending in one forechecker now, do you think they're hanging back too much" variety, which certainly held my attention throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                    The games are archived for at least a month. Here's the link if you want to watch any of the games from the past week:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/#type/replay/sport/hockey/
                    Thanks! Will this link let you fast forward (see my hapless post above!)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                      Thanks! Will this link let you fast forward (see my hapless post above!)?
                      Yes... It can be a bit clunky at times but usually gives you what you need in the end.

Gocrimson posted a highlight video for the semifinal so I'm sure one for the final is forthcoming.

Comment

Apart from the score, for me the most gratifying part of yesterday's win was the spotlight taken by Edney and Parker, both with two goals, each with one unassisted. They're surrounded by higher profile talent, but over their careers they have often proved to be the most dependable, high performance members on the roster, game-in, game-out. Very nice to see them wrapping up this season with such style.

(BTW, agree with the play-by-play kudos. As for the commentary, weren't both teams in Potsdam yesterday faced with a "winner go home" scenario?)

Comment

Originally posted by driventoit View Post
                          weren't both teams in Potsdam yesterday faced with a "winner go home" scenario?)
                          No. In one case it was "Winner go Home" in the other case "Win OR go home".

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                            Mixed feeling. I am really delighted that the Harvard women will have home ice for the NCAA.
                            However, I am disappointed that a cousin's daughter is getting married at the same time on the same date. I doubt I can convince her to put her wedding off. It also seems a bit late to break off the engagement.
                            Best of luck to the Harvard women and for those of you who will be able to get to Bright; I am jealous!!
                            I once attended a wedding of two friends during the WS in '86 (not the Buckner game) and during the reception, people kept sneaking off and then coming back into the hotel ballroom. Finally, I had to ask what was up and apparently, someone had opened up their hotel room and had the game on with generous libations. Made sense.

I missed yesterday's final due to a family obligation so I feel your pain.

Comment

So both the NCAA quarterfinal and the Ivy men's basketball playoff are at 4pm. It's not trouble for me to be opening multiple browser windows, but sorry for anyone attending the quarterfinal who cares to watch the other game.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                                So both the NCAA quarterfinal and the Ivy men's basketball playoff are at 4pm. It's not trouble for me to be opening multiple browser windows, but sorry for anyone attending the quarterfinal who cares to watch the other game.
                                Well, that stinks because I will be at Bright-Landry for the women. The video board over center ice has streaming capability so my guess is that they may stream the men's game between periods. They did that during men's hockey game vs. Brown last Friday night.

Comment

Working...
                                X