Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2014-15

Originally posted by charlieconway View Post
    Waited? You can't honestly believe the timeline of events played out by choice.

For all we know, O'Connor wasn't even an option for 2014-15. Something tells me she would have had to do a year of post-graduate education in order to get into Harvard. From what I understand, many top-notch athletes aren't thrilled about the prospect of attending 19th grade and delaying a college career -- especially when the option exists to play right away at another good school.

Again, that's all beside the point. "Coulda, woulda, shoulda" talk about prior recruiting isn't remotely relevant when we're discussing an Olympic-caliber hockey player having her career cut short. Quickly brushing Pucci's unfortunate situation aside and implying that the way the process was handled might have hurt the team shows that you flat-out don't get it. How anyone (especially a supposed supporter) could react to this kind of news by wondering who could have been in Josephine's place and how it affects the overall talent level on the roster is beyond me.
    Two years ago when Pucci sat out due to her concussion I had a chance to speak with her at length at Bright-Landry. She told me about her rehab and the workouts that she and Gedman were going through to get back to 100%. I know how much playing hockey means to her and how devastating it must be for her to miss her senior season. For the record, my only hope is that she fully recovers, has a great senior year and leads a productive, happy life. That is my wish for all our student athletes. Jo is bright, articulate and a terrific person and in no way am I 'brushing aside' what happened to her. That is insulting and incredibly short-sighted.

Comment

Report on the Blades game in the CWHL thread. What I said there about Harvard: "I don't know how much practice time Harvard have had, but I wasn't as impressed by them as I was expecting to be. There were a lot of good individual efforts, especially from Daniels and Mary Parker, and the defence was pretty coordinated, but I didn't see great chemistry on the forward lines. It may be an unfair comparison because I came from the end of the game at BC where all the lines are clicking. This didn't help me in rating Harvard as much as I thought it would."

This was an odd one -- no-one on the door in Bright, no autograph session afterwards (which Blades games usually have), no box score or report on the Harvard team website. Good atmosphere from the small crowd. Jo Pucci was in the stands watching.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
        Report on the Blades game in the CWHL thread. What I said there about Harvard: "I don't know how much practice time Harvard have had, but I wasn't as impressed by them as I was expecting to be. There were a lot of good individual efforts, especially from Daniels and Mary Parker, and the defence was pretty coordinated, but I didn't see great chemistry on the forward lines. It may be an unfair comparison because I came from the end of the game at BC where all the lines are clicking. This didn't help me in rating Harvard as much as I thought it would."

This was an odd one -- no-one on the door in Bright, no autograph session afterwards (which Blades games usually have), no box score or report on the Harvard team website. Good atmosphere from the small crowd. Jo Pucci was in the stands watching.
        "There were a lot of good individual efforts, especially from Daniels", this statement made me laugh only because it's true. Doesn't she play with her own puck?

How could the chemistry be off? They are all practically from Nobles & Assabet

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post

Thanks for the post. I hear ya. (Harvard has yet to acknowledge that the game took place.)
          Armstrong?

Comment

Originally posted by driventoit View Post
            Thanks for the post. I hear ya. (Harvard has yet to acknowledge that the game took place.)
            Armstrong?
            Haha. Harvard will never acknowledge that the game ever took place because they didn't win. Classic Harvard move. Did the exact same thing a few years ago when they lost an exhibition game to the Aeros.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
              Haha. Harvard will never acknowledge that the game ever took place because they didn't win. Classic Harvard move. Did the exact same thing a few years ago when they lost an exhibition game to the Aeros.
              C'mon, playing with the Blades was never listed on Harvard's schedule as an exhibition game or anything else, there was complete silence on the Harvard website about it beforehand and (unlike the McGill exhibition game) no radio or streaming coverage of the goings on at the rink, so since they had consistently chosen to treat it as an unannounced friendly scrimmage, not as a formal exhibition game, they couldn't very well have reported it like an exhibition game if they'd won, could they.... so why should they suddenly treat it as an exhibition game just because they didn't win? Announce the results only if they don't win? C'mon.
              Last edited by Watson Rink; 10-27-2014, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                C'mon, playing with the Blades was never listed on Harvard's schedule as an exhibition game or anything else, there was complete silence on the Harvard website about it beforehand and (unlike the McGill exhibition game) no radio or streaming coverage of the goings on at the rink, so since they had consistently chosen to treat it as an unannounced friendly scrimmage, not as a formal exhibition game, they couldn't very well have reported it like an exhibition game if they'd won, could they.... so why should they suddenly treat it as an exhibition game just because they didn't win? Announce the results only if they don't win? C'mon.
                I, for one, find your clarification useful, even as I allow for some hyperbole in Trillium's post ("Classic Harvard move")! What I don't understand is why these games , call them what you will, should fall off the radar screen the way they seem to ("complete silence"). The Blades did report on their Oct. 11 "exhibition match" with BU, but I can't find anything on the Terriers' page about it, and there is nothing yet from the Blades on the Harvard game (I guess there won't be). The women's game needs all the PR help it can get, and these potentially marquee match-ups, even as scrimmages, are a golden opportunity. I realize there is an advantage to keeping these things flexible and casual, and maybe even last-minute, especially for Harvard as a late-starting team, but still . . .

It would be interesting to know how other CWHL and college teams treat these events (and, for the fan, they are and would be "events"!), though I imagine there are not a lot of them to sample.
                Last edited by driventoit; 10-27-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

The women's game needs all the PR help it can get, and these potentially marquee match-ups, even as scrimmages, are a golden opportunity. I realize there is an advantage to keeping these things flexible and casual, and maybe even last-minute, especially for Harvard as a late-starting team, but still . . .
                  Minnesota held an open practice that was a scrimmage before their first game but Coach Frost made some comments beforehand indicating that, because several alumni were participating, no public announcements about it were allowed. A few of us spread the word to fellow fans through one-to-one communication, but it was pretty well hush-hush.

It feels like a similar scenario here, so the question I have is if the lack of communication is required by the NCAA since it wasn't an official exhibition game.
                  Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                  Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                  Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

I, for one, find your clarification useful, even as I allow for some hyperbole in Trillium's post ("Classic Harvard move")! What I don't understand is why these games , call them what you will, should fall off the radar screen the way they seem to ("complete silence"). The Blades did report on their Oct. 11 "exhibition match" with BU, but I can't find anything on the Terriers' page about it, and there is nothing yet from the Blades on the Harvard game (I guess there won't be). The women's game needs all the PR help it can get, and these potentially marquee match-ups, even as scrimmages, are a golden opportunity. I realize there is an advantage to keeping these things flexible and casual, and maybe even last-minute, especially for Harvard as a late-starting team, but still . . .

It would be interesting to know how other CWHL and college teams treat these events (and, for the fan, they are and would be "events"!), though I imagine there are not a lot of them to sample.
                    While I buy the point that Harvard shouldn't later report on results of a game they failed to acknowledge had even been scheduled, (unlike the Aeros game referred to when they had it listed on the schedule but omitted the losing result), as driventoit notes I see no logical reason for pretending in the first place that an exhibition game was never happening at all.

When BU played the Blades a couple of weeks ago, the game and box score appeared on this site. The exhibition matches played by the Montreal Stars against Northeastern and Providence also were reported with box scores. Many teams had scheduled games against Canadian U19 club teams, which appeared on the USCHO schedule with box scores.

Everyone knows that the results of these games don't count in the player or team stats.

The big question is why there is a need for secrecy in this particular case?
                    Last edited by Trillium; 10-27-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                      Minnesota held an open practice that was a scrimmage before their first game but Coach Frost made some comments beforehand indicating that, because several alumni were participating, no public announcements about it were allowed. A few of us spread the word to fellow fans through one-to-one communication, but it was pretty well hush-hush.

It feels like a similar scenario here, so the question I have is if the lack of communication is required by the NCAA since it wasn't an official exhibition game.
                      FWIW, the Harvard women's hockey twitter page mentioned the game solely to mention the Harvard alumnae on the Blades that were coming back. But that's all I saw/heard about the game.
                      Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                      Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                        FWIW, the Harvard women's hockey twitter page mentioned the game solely to mention the Harvard alumnae on the Blades that were coming back. But that's all I saw/heard about the game.
                        I heard about it from Jillian Dempsey after the BU game, or I wouldn't have known at all.

Comment

but I can't find anything on the Terriers' page about it.
                          There is a pre game and post game story on the BU page: http://www.goterriers.com/sports/w-h...101114aaa.html

Comment

Originally posted by Royale with Cheese View Post
                            There is a pre game and post game story on the BU page: http://www.goterriers.com/sports/w-h...101114aaa.html
                            Thanks. Maybe Harvard will follow BU's lead, win its own conference banner to hoist this season, and thus become less shy about these pick-up games with the pros.
                            Last edited by driventoit; 10-28-2014, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Aren't teams only allowed to have one official exhibition game? That could definitely be why there was 'radio silence. '
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                Aren't teams only allowed to have one official exhibition game? That could definitely be why there was 'radio silence. '
                                No. Princeton had two. Yale had two. BU had two. Northeastern had two.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X