Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014-2015 University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Womens Hockey

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    What the hell is supplemental compensation?

Supplemental compensation is things like retirement pay and bonuses. Might include things like cars and houses. So in this example you gave, Pitino's salary is $500,000 but he also get $700,000 in bonuses and retirement and things like that. I believe at big D1 institutions coaches also get paid just for doing media interviews which could also factor into that $700k. Probably do at smaller schools as well but not nearly as much

Comment

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
      Supplemental compensation is ...
      (I wasn't asking; the article I was quoting from was using the question as a rhetorical device. They went ahead and answered their own question in the next paragraph.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrankIt View Post
        I believe at big D1 institutions coaches also get paid just for doing media interviews which could also factor into that $700k.
        I don't think that comes out of the university's pocket. For example, Jerry Kill has a weekly show with Mike Max on FSN. I'd assume that Fox is paying him for that, not the Gophers. The media interview are usually just part of the job, unless someone wants to do a more sizable project and they play a fee, such as a series of articles for a magazine.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Someone mentioned they thought Maria Lewis is available but she's not officially available:

http://providence.jwuathletics.com/s...s_Hire_Release

Although I have to imagine she'd leave this new job in an instant for the job at UMD. Even if UMD decides to pay the next coach $90K a year that would double what Lewis was making as the head coach at Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            If it was just about the money (assume that he loved the job she was doing in all respects) you would certainly think a contract extension would have been offered. I strongly suspect that other factors were at play.
            Skuttle-butt around the rink said that Ms Miller was a 'rainmaker' and drew in big money to the school. That made her salary at least make sense. Now those were just rumors so they may never had been true but maybe the rain stopped?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              I don't think that comes out of the university's pocket. For example, Jerry Kill has a weekly show with Mike Max on FSN. I'd assume that Fox is paying him for that, not the Gophers. The media interview are usually just part of the job, unless someone wants to do a more sizable project and they play a fee, such as a series of articles for a magazine.
              But (basketball coach) Pitino's UM contract says specifically that the University is compensating him for "efforts on behalf of the University for media...". Yes, it is 'part of the job', and part of what the University compensates the coach for.

-----

To go at it one more time for Mark Johnson and the UW coaches, another searchable data base, from the Milwaukee Business Journal, that includes base salary and 'additional' pay: Johnson - $164K plus $66K additional, $231K total; Eaves $236K plus $72K additional, $308K total; Bo Ryan $421K plus $1.974 million additional plus $7K 'allowances', $2.4 million total.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...uw-system.html

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Holy freaking crap. That article is something.

I mean, could she be fired for doing an interview like that? Holy smokes.
                I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with anything she said...other than perhaps the extreme hyperbole at the end about mens and women's salaries.

She couldn't be fired, unless she's lied about something (which I highly doubt; she's not that dumb). I doubt the university would consider firing her even if they could anyway....they'd have to pay out her contract, and spend even more money for another coach to finish out the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                  I doubt the university would consider firing her even if they could anyway....they'd have to pay out her contract, and spend even more money for another coach to finish out the season.
                  you obviously are not familiar with the University of Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                    I don't see anything whatsoever wrong with anything she said...other than perhaps the extreme hyperbole at the end about mens and women's salaries.
                    It’s a program that should be a dynasty. We deserves the resources. We deserve the funding and the support to be a dynasty after all we’ve done and the success we’ve had.
                    Well, I'm not completely abiding with these sentiments, myself.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

• Re: 2014-2015 University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Womens Hockey

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      you obviously are not familiar with the University of Minnesota
                      No I don't know much about U of M at all. But if it really is all about saving money (though I doubt that's all it is), it just makes them look incompetent to have to incur an extra salary. Then again since she's understandably ****ed, it wouldn't be surprising if she tried to push their buttons to tempt them to do that.

Comment

One thing to note is that Miller's salary was significantly higher than was Bob Nielson's was when he was both a two time national championship football coach and athletic director; he was making $168,000 in base salary.

Comment

Wow!

Full marks to Miller for speaking her mind clearly and unhesitatingly in this great video interview! An absolute breath of fresh air when the politics are swept aside. Lots of great questions and responses...especially at the 12 minute mark...it's a blockbuster...one of many!

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...286034531.html

Comment

Current UMD assistant Laura Schuler's name is being floated out there as a possible replacement for Miller, too. That would make a whole lot of sense, having been there with Miller for so long. I'm sure the players would like that more than somebody completely new.

Comment

Was it necessary to fire both assistant coaches as well? Their salaries are definitely not out of line with that of their peers. Hmm. This "sole financial reason" behind said decision sounds sketchy.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                                Wow!

Full marks to Miller for speaking her mind clearly and unhesitatingly in this great video interview! An absolute breath of fresh air when the politics are swept aside. Lots of great questions and responses...especially at the 12 minute mark...it's a blockbuster...one of many!

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...286034531.html
                                I guess you can look at it that way…or… BITTER party of ONE! (not that it’s not justified) but please… show some class. This is big time sports...big time money...which translates into big time consequences? Plain and simple the program has followed to a place that does not justify you being paid at the high end. She tries to reference that her compensation should be based on comparisons to other D1 coaches. Well, young lady welcome to one the most unforgiving occupation there is... just ask Bo Pelini of Nebraska. When the bar is raised (by her in this case I may add) so do the expectations. She speaks of taking the high road but consistently draws the players into her dispute. “Look how hard, how unfair this is on the poor Student Athletes”. Yes it stinks…but hard…unfair? No at the end of the day they still have their school paid for and get to play the sport they love. Believe me they will get over it. Don’t exploit them for your own ego. Except that the fact that it was a nice run, finish the year strong and position yourself for future opportunities. If I was an AD elsewhere, I would take note of this pity party and throw that into the consideration…and if you think this is solely about the money…please. The MN Vikings had a very successful coach at one time who could also be a complete pain in the *** and as long as he was winning all was ignored…but stumble and…he was gone faster than Franny’s fried chicken.

Comment

Working...
                                X