2014-2015 University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Womens Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014-2015 University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Womens Hockey

It’s now 100 days away from the team’s first puck drop to begin the 14/15 season as they begin their season on the road against the UConn Huskies and then just another 7 day wait until they drop the puck at AMSOIL to host what will prove to be a fairly strong Badger squad.

Will be a tough first 4 weeks of hockey as the Bulldogs will be matched up against some of the nation’s best teams. Undoubtedly, the Bulldog’s bar will be close to being set and they will have a pretty good idea of where they’ll sit in the overall mix.

The Bulldogs have signed some exciting new Freshmen this year that will certainly add depth to their roster. Seen a few of them play. Daoust and Healey are nice acquisitions. Lindh has a nose for the net and will bring some straight line speed that might be similar but not quite to McParland’s. Will be interesting to see how the other two incoming Swedes make out. Saw Kirkup at Canadian Nationals and at a Thoroughbred tourney. She’s a competitor. Both her and a bit of a local favorite, Cava, (Thunder Bay area) are two offensive transfers that can and will bend the twine for Miller.

The added depth brought on by the new recruits .. return of Lacquette – with her rocket from the point, playmaking ability and just a hint of ‘tude .. last year’s poised and talented standout Freshies turned So (Stalder, Brykaliuk and Morin come to mind) .. the ever dangerous presence of Jr’s turned Sr - McParland and Huertas .. a welcomed returnee back to the flock in Gillanders .. plus newly appointed co-captains Hickel and Stauber will ALL make this team better than last years – no doubt.

Will be interesting to see who gets put with who for lines. If the players gel, buy into the gameplan and stay relatively healthy, the Bulldogs are poised to post a few more double ewes in the win column under the team’s architect in Coach Miller.

There’s a renewed sense of optimism that one could sense growing from last year already amongst the Bulldog faithful that this program just may be ready to return back to their winning ways of yesteryear.

Last year was a bit of a bounceback year. This upcoming year might be next positive step moving forward in what looks to be a promising season if they can piggyback on top of last year’s successes.

100 days and counting. Tic toc .. tic toc ….

Re: 2014-2015 University of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs Womens Hockey

Just a rumor right now, as nothing official has been announced, but supposedly Hannah Bramm is transferring to Penn State. What kind of scouting report can you give on her? I saw last year's UMD stats saying she had 10 points in 36 games, but that doesn't say anything about how much actual ice time she got. 20 penalties in 36 games, too. How would you describe her game?

Comment

Bramm's a pretty decent player. She did pretty well with NAHA (W) program in the J dub. Anyone who's recruited to D1 usually has something going for them. Played mostly 3rd line last year with a couple of stints in the top 6 and had a couple of good wknds in the top 6 rotation.

She's strong. Good edges. Seen her snipe a couple of nice goals. Did pretty well in the faceoff circle as well. Good at PK. Would have liked to seen her engage a bit more to utilize her strengths.

Think it was a numbers issue and just didn't fit into the top 6. Not overly familiar with Penn State's forwards (if that's where she's going) so not sure if she'll be top 3, 6 or 9.

Hopefully things work out well for her.

Comment

Thanks for that info. If she does come to Penn State, she will definitely have a place in the top six forwards. Her WCHA experience would be good for this young team, for sure.

Comment

A friend who is involved with the bulldogs told me that a past gold medalist will be joining the program in some type of coaching role. She's a quality person and a great addition to the program.
          I promised not too share her name until the school announces her addition. Stay tuned.

Comment

Big Sandy -- Is the person you speak of an American gold medalist or a Canadian gold medalist??

Comment

Originally posted by BigSandy View Post
              A friend who is involved with the bulldogs told me that a past gold medalist will be joining the program in some type of coaching role. She's a quality person and a great addition to the program.
              I promised not too share her name until the school announces her addition. Stay tuned.
              I'll guess and say Jenny Potter since she already "announced" her intent to leave Trinity via application to SCSU and was a 3 year player at UMD.....

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                Big Sandy -- Is the person you speak of an American gold medalist or a Canadian gold medalist??
                apparently you missed the "quality person"

LOL/JK

Woo hoo!
                Another coaching position to predict, discuss & debate, it’s more fun than the game itself.
                Given the hints, I’d go with a Maple Leaf. I just don’t see her leaving after one year unless it is another head coaching position.
                But then again it supports my view that she will eventually replace Miller. And, whoever the assistant is will be able to claim they helped the Bulldogs improve, there is no place to go except up for the Bulldogs which went 0-9-3 against the teams above them last year. It’s always nice to pad your ‘sume with experience that demonstrates the organization improved after you joined.

Comment

I think UMD is a cult

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
                  WCHA Playoff Champions:
                  NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
                  NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    I'll guess and say Jenny Potter since she already "announced" her intent to leave Trinity via application to SCSU and was a 3 year player at UMD.....
                    It's not Jenny. she is Canadian, was involved with a Junior prep program, and as far as i know, has never coached in he NCAA, just played Div1 .

Comment

It's not Jenny. she is Canadian, was involved with a Junior prep program, and as far as i know, has never coached in he NCAA, just played Div1 .
                      and we're supposed to believe you have knowledge of who is going to be the assistant?
                      LOL
                      maybe this is an attempt at plausible denial, it is Potter, but you've presented information that would make us believe you don't know what you're talking about

Comment

Well, now you make it sound like Gina Kingsbury (which would make sense as Fetters are headed to Okanagan). But, as you said, your original post said you promised not to share her name ...

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                          Well, now you make it sound like Gina Kingsbury (which would make sense as Fetters are headed to Okanagan). But, as you said, your original post said you promised not to share her name ...
                          Aaaahhhh....but BigSandy is willing to identify who it is NOT if someone is named. Soif we name everyone we can think of, the one who BigSandy declines to say is not the person is....... Nah .... too much work... I'll wait for the announcement.

Comment

Miss Vaillancourt?

Comment

Originally posted by northhockey View Post
                              I think UMD is a cult
                              … and that's one reason why I'd guess Irwin before some of the other names mentioned.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X