Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The FIFA World Cup Thread (Spoilers Welcome)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The FIFA World Cup Thread (Spoilers Welcome)

A new resident for Siberia...
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Love the Goalkeepers Union comment from Keller.
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Instead people think it's amazing to win against our fellow also rans. No wonder this sport makes no traction.
        You know what? **** this line of thought. You know why this sport isn't going to grow? Because instead of letting people go out and celebrate like any other GD nation, people like you walk around wagging your finger at them saying, "Nope, don't celebrate!" ****. That.

You know what grows a sport? National celebrations showing wild fans getting into the sport maybe for the first time ever. We score a goal and get a win and people go nuts. Fantastic. I hope people go nuts with every win. If they dragged their friend with to the bar and that friend goes wild with the knowledgable fan, maybe he had a good enough time to watch the next game and if he's lucky, get to see another win.

**** me.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          So your perspective is not being a dick? Ok...

If you call my expectation and perspective as being negative, that seems to say more about you than me. Just sayn.

As a review, I'm very excited we won, but it was Ghana and the first round. Lots of play to go, though. As Brazil just found out.

94 was supposed to be the start of something special. Instead people think it's amazing to win against our fellow also rans. No wonder this sport makes no traction.
          The fact that you call Ghana an "also ran" shows an exteme lack of knowledge.
          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Nigeria World Cup viewing center was bombed, AP reporting.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Anyone else wondering if Russia's equalizer was offsides?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I really thought Russia would Putin another.
                Twitter: DanMountSports
                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                  I really thought Russia would Putin another.
                  Concur. They're just Stalin too much with the ball.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    Concur. They're just Stalin too much with the ball.
                    And none of their shots hit their Marx.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Good tie. Interesting that it took kind of a fluky goal to get Russia to really play. They put some good pressure on after going behind.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        And none of their shots hit their Marx.
                        That loss might czar their chances at advancing from the group.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Every time I see Feliani of Belgium I think of that line from Fletch about the Afro.

Comment

My view on the did we over-celebrate too much conversation is to go back to Sochi. When the US had that shootout showdown with Russia and it was all TJ OSHIE ZOMG WE BEAT THE RUSSIANS MIRACLE ON ICE AGAIN!!!!!!!!! And then they didn't even medal. The ridiculous over celebration of that game bugged the **** out of me because people were acting like the US won everything.

I am admittedly not a soccer fan and have been keeping up with the tournament because my company's Brazil operation is a national sponsor and we've done a ton of work around it. I only watched the second half as I was in the midst of traveling hell and I have to say, I don't think the US played well at all. That late goal was very cool. And it should be celebrated because it came after a crap half of play in the last moment. I cheered where I was and I'm not even a fan. I think the celebration is different from the hockey I mentioned above because the US team isn't favored to win, and even though Ghana isn't, like, Brazil, they are a team that beat the US the last two tournaments so it's like getting a weight off their back. Happy for them but I want to see them get another win.

With regards to the high ratings, my thoughts, for whatever they're worth, is the large base of people living in the US from other countries are ALL watching. They don't watch golf. Or hockey. They watch soccer.

Comment

like to see as many teams in it as possible going into game three of group stage, but you have to believe australia will fall to 0-2 tomorrow. i'd say cameroon is likely headed for that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Not likely. Every FIFA members gets a vote. That means Africa is about 5 times more influential than CONMEBOL. Now I'm not sure if all of FIFA votes on the confederation spots or if another committee handles that, but there's a reason why the two biggest confederations do not have playoffs to get in.

On the wiki page for the World Cup there's a section about Blatter talking about expanding to 40, which would guarantee a spot for Oceania, as well as a Caribbean club. That would take about 2/3 of the teams away from CONCACAF. He said it would be 1 more to UEFA, 2 more to Asia and Africa, the 1 to the Caribbean, the 1 guaranteed to Oceania and then a shared between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL. So if anything the playoff is here to stay, it would just transition to playing CONMEBOL.
                                I would be cool with that. Opens CONCACAF up to where Canada and the Central Americans can get into the World Cup, and we would have to do less dinking around with Caribbean teams about getting there. That should raise everybody else's play up knowing that they just can't phone it in against Bermuda when we know that somebody else had a draw against say a stout Jamaica squad.

Then it would be 8 groups of 5 teams right?
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X